• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
I never said they were deciding which games are made on which platform. I'm saying they at least need to know the game that they are producing are spin-off games or else they will copyright, like Pokemon Uranium. This is how Masuda knows there will be spin-off games on the Switch, and, since it's still technically part of the Pokemons series, he can talk about it.

But in the usual case he almost never talks about Spin offs in Interveiws. The only exception I know of is Pokemon Go, which was talked about only because a question was asked about it. He does not need to say that Spin Offs will come for the Switch, which is almost obvious.

Last edited:
I never said they were deciding which games are made on which platform. I'm saying they at least need to know the game that they are producing are spin-off games or else they will copyright, like Pokemon Uranium. This is how Masuda knows there will be spin-off games on the Switch, and, since it's still technically part of the Pokemons series, he can talk about it.

He can, but as PkmnTrainerV above me says: he almost never does. It's not his business to talk about games that his company doesn't make. That's the business of the companies actually making those games.

It seems like most pokemon spin offs come to the 3ds anyway,if there's a 3ds successor it'd be more likely to see them on it.

Nintendo is about the quick buck and making people pay,quick easy 3ds games are their bread and butter.

Just slap the name pokemon on any half assed game and you have a hit

He can, but as PkmnTrainerV above me says: he almost never does. It's not his business to talk about games that his company doesn't make. That's the business of the companies actually making those games.
I guess I'm not explaining it correctly. He can, he almost never does, however, saying Pokemon is really ambiguous, as he may mean both spin-off or main series. We don't know which for sure, even with communication as a big factor. What I'm positive he means is that, no matter what, some type of Pokemon game will be on the Switch.

To be honest, I don't know if the Pokemon core games are going to be on the Switch. It would be the most expensive handheld yet and I don't want to pay an extra $300 just for the handheld aspect for, say, my brother who also plays these games. Going from $200 to $300 for a handheld? Granted, it connects to the television, but still... that doesn't fly too well with me unless they come with extra accessories. On the games themselves being limited to the Switch, I wouldn't be too sad if they did that. A dream game of mine would be to combine the aspects of a core game with a Stadium game on a television console. Colosseum and XD game close, but not quite what I wanted in what I truly wanted.

To be honest, I don't know if the Pokemon core games are going to be on the Switch. It would be the most expensive handheld yet and I don't want to pay an extra $300 just for the handheld aspect for, say, my brother who also plays these games. Going from $200 to $300 for a handheld? Granted, it connects to the television, but still... that doesn't fly too well with me unless they come with extra accessories. On the games themselves being limited to the Switch, I wouldn't be too sad if they did that. A dream game of mine would be to combine the aspects of a core game with a Stadium game on a television console. Colosseum and XD game close, but not quite what I wanted in what I truly wanted.
1. 3DS was 250$ at launch.
2. They come with extra accessories. In fact two people can play at once with one system, using the two Joy cons.

1. 3DS was 250$ at launch.
2. They come with extra accessories. In fact two people can play at once with one system, using the two Joy cons.
3. The Switch is guarenteed to have a price drop. $300 is way too much for the Switch, in my opinion

3. The Switch is guarenteed to have a price drop. $300 is way too much for the Switch, in my opinion

Nintendo Wii U never once had a price drop, and in my country, it is only $50 more than the Wii U Deluxe, and judging from the amount of technology it has over the Wii U, I'd say the price is more than fair.

Nintendo Wii U never once had a price drop, and in my country, it is only $50 more than the Wii U Deluxe, and judging from the amount of technology it has over the Wii U, I'd say the price is more than fair.
ehhhhhhh its debatable some say it may some say it won't, so not guaranteed, but likely.
Though the 3DS did get a price drop, but hey we can wait.

It's the price of the switch not only compared to other consoles but what all you need to buy extra.

You definitely need SD cards which are pricey, Nintendo is even making switch themed SD cards which screams milking ppl for money.

At its price it should have sufficient storage.

Not to mention 80 bucks for additional joycon or another docking station,which aren't necessary but are still expensive.

Just for a switch,a,game,a new SD card,and a second pair of joycons your looking at around 600 bucks.

You could buy a ps4 pro and 4 games,or if you already have a ps4 you could get VR at these prices

It's the price of the switch not only compared to other consoles but what all you need to buy extra.

You definitely need SD cards which are pricey, Nintendo is even making switch themed SD cards which screams milking ppl for money.

At its price it should have sufficient storage.

Not to mention 80 bucks for additional joycon or another docking station,which aren't necessary but are still expensive.

Just for a switch,a,game,a new SD card,and a second pair of joycons your looking at around 600 bucks.

You could buy a ps4 pro and 4 games,or if you already have a ps4 you could get VR at these prices

1. Source? Nothing points that Nintendo is making Switch themed cards.
2. It is not JUST a home console. You get a console ( Let's assume you'll need $300 for a console), AND you get a handheld ($250, that was 3DS' launch price), you get something worth $550 in $300, saving $250
3. I don't even know WHY did they include Docks as an accessory. You don't even need an extra dock if you plan to use it as a home console!
4. Switch is PSP/PS Vita + a Downgraded PS4, fair enough.

1. Source? Nothing points that Nintendo is making Switch themed cards.
2. It is not JUST a home console. You get a console ( Let's assume you'll need $300 for a console), AND you get a handheld ($250, that was 3DS' launch price), you get something worth $550 in $300, saving $250
3. I don't even know WHY did they include Docks as an accessory. You don't even need an extra dock if you plan to use it as a home console!
4. Switch is PSP/PS Vita + a Downgraded PS4, fair enough.
Source? Dosent anyone on forums read press releases or interviews? Or even browse available or upcoming products?

ehhhhhhh its debatable some say it may some say it won't, so not guaranteed, but likely.
Though the 3DS did get a price drop, but hey we can wait.

From other threads, there were mentions of a possible cheaper version of the Switch. There could be a price drop, but there could also be a cheaper version of the Switch with less accessories and no fancy features like the 2DS. Anything can happen if we wait long enough.

Source? Dosent anyone on forums read press releases or interviews? Or even browse available or upcoming products?

OR you could choose to not be rude and just provide a source.

Though you are right that there are special Switch SD cards, it seems loads of other SD cards will work just fine too, so no one's forcing you to buy the special expensive ones.

Unlikely. Pokemon is short for "Pocket Mosnsters," after all. Even if the Switch's screen is the size of a 3DSXL, it's still too big to fit in most pockets. Yes, it's still portable, but all the ads I'm seeing that feature that show either the owner using it around the house before plugging it into the base or people taking it to social gatherings. They aren't marketing it as a handheld. They're marketing it as a home console with some nifty features.

And I'm sick of hearing that Nintendo's having money problems. Nintendo is THE most sucessful video game company in existance. Just because their last console didn't sell well does NOT mean they're in trouble. They survived the Virtual Boy, didn't they?

And I'm sick of hearing that Nintendo's having money problems. Nintendo is THE most sucessful video game company in existance. Just because their last console didn't sell well does NOT mean they're in trouble. They survived the Virtual Boy, didn't they?
Yeah but they're kinda still recovering from the Wii U failure. Also if it wasn't for Iwata than I don't think the Wii would have made up for the money missing from the GameCube. Heck the Wii U was so bad that Iwata had to cut his salary in half just to make up for it. It's not your fault that you are sick of hearing that Nintendo's having money problems, it's because they do have money problems and are still recovering from it. Virtual Boy may be one failure, but they still have failures, like the 64DD, the lukewarm sales of the GameCube that currently is being mirrored by the lukewarm sales by the Wii U (though the GameCube obviously sold better).
Unlikely. Pokemon is short for "Pocket Mosnsters," after all. Even if the Switch's screen is the size of a 3DSXL, it's still too big to fit in most pockets. Yes, it's still portable, but all the ads I'm seeing that feature that show either the owner using it around the house before plugging it into the base or people taking it to social gatherings.
The Switch is a good opportunity for a good sale booster. BOTW had already boosted the Switch sales, and it's currently on track for 2 million by the end of March. Adding even more Nintendo games onto it (like Super Mario Odyssey) would also help the switch sales, as well as 3rd party games (Sonic Mania, for example). A Pokemon game on the Switch would also help, however I'm not sure if it would be main-series (like Stars) or it would be a spin-off game. Both would help the Switch in a way. I'm not saying that there will be a main-series game for the Switch, but Nintendo definitely want more success in the Switch.
They aren't marketing it as a handheld. They're marketing it as a home console with some nifty features.
And the nifty features happen to have handheld features. The world is weird, right? :p
I actually see the Switch as playing console games on-the-go, but adding some handheld games, especially since the 3DS definitely would not last the next decade or so (most handhelds last for at least 10 years), is a good idea. Creating a new handheld may kinda be a waste of money, as there is already the Switch's handheld function, but if Nintendo wants money they can always do that...

It always goes back to money, doesn't it?

I'm thinking that there is still a market for a dedicated handheld after the Switch's release, considering that the Switch is a tablet-styled device with mediocre battery life. They're currently considering a 3DS successor, but they have not confirmed one yet.

I have no problems with 3DS successor, but at this point it'll just cannibalise Switch's sales, and it would be a bad business decision for their console market.

I have no problems with 3DS successor, but at this point it'll just cannibalise Switch's sales, and it would be a bad business decision for their console market.
In one way it does. In another way, they can make exclusive games for both for a popular franchise, such as Pokemon, thus probably helping both console's sales. It's possible but kinda impossible at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom