• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Couple of things with that:
"A new version" - Do they mean "new" like Crystal was for Gold/Silver? Or do they mean "new" like Pokken was for X/Y? New doesn't have to mean that it's a 3rd version launch, it could just be a new spin off type. Personally I hope it's a 3rd person, open world game that allows us to go to each region. That would be a way to revitalize the spin off games into something awesome for me.

They say in the article that it's a third version akin to Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum.

1. Is it a third person open world game which allows us to go to each region, then it won't be a 'new' version of Sun and Moon.
It was specifically compared with Sun and Moon, it was said that it is a new version to Sun and Moon. I doubt a new version of a main game will be a spin-off, specially since GF dosen't develop Spin offs.
2. Also, according to you, what will happen if Switch merges the handheld and console markets with Switch? TPCi won't have any choice and will have to develop for Switch. Since appearently there is no handheld successor is in line, I think this is the case.

To point #2: If that happens, then it is what happens. I just don't see it happening. The Switch lacks the durability and the portability to be a true handheld in my book.

On point #1: A third person, open world game that starts in Alola would be a new version of Sun/Moon. Again, GF is free to do whatever they want in regards to the Pokémon games. It's theirs to do with as they please. If they want to do something like the traditional Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum, then they can. If they want to revive the idea of a 3rd game but do something else with it, they can as well.

I guess my biggest thing is that I have a large mental block on seeing the Switch as a handheld system, so I don't really want to see a true Core game on the Switch. If it happens, it does. I just don't want it to.

Note: I had a post here, but someone reminded me this was already discussed to death and I'm rehashing a point that went nowhere.

My apologies. I need to control that tendency of mine to argue something to death a lot better.

Last edited:
To point #2: If that happens, then it is what happens. I just don't see it happening. The Switch lacks the durability and the portability to be a true handheld in my book.
That just sort of sounds like personal opinion of people who still love their 3DS... also, Switch is durable. For your information, Switch survived 11 drops from a height of 5 feet, and when someone tried to drill a triforve into Switch, it functioned when a chunk had been taken out of it. It only stopped working when a chunk took out a sensitive part of the battery.
The Nintendo Switch is hard to break, says guy carving Triforce into it

On point #1: A third person, open world game that starts in Alola would be a new version of Sun/Moon. Again, GF is free to do whatever they want in regards to the Pokémon games. It's theirs to do with as they please. If they want to do something like the traditional Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum, then they can. If they want to revive the idea of a 3rd game but do something else with it, they can as well.
But it is highly unlikely (sort of like 0.01% chance) that a new version of a main series game will be a spin-off made by GF. Third game is not an official term. The games are called 'versions', like the 'Pokemon Yellow Version'. So, if someone says a new 'version of Sun and Moon', then it is a follow up game of the main pair as Bulbapedia itself defines it.

I guess my biggest thing is that I have a large mental block on seeing the Switch as a handheld system, so I don't really want to see a true Core game on the Switch. If it happens, it does. I just don't want it to.
I guess that is personal opinion, so we should agree to disagree. Also, this argument is completely invalid, as it is personal opinion if you see it as an handheld or console. The fact is that it is a handheld+console hybrid. The fact that Switch+JoyCons attached is officially called "Handheld Mode" totally destroys your argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so you know, the lag in SM's double battles is because of the trainer models also being present, which causes the screen to display too much at once, lagging the game. As long as we don't push the engine like this, Pokemon would be fine on the 3DS.

Just so you know, the lag in SM's double battles is because of the trainer models also being present, which causes the screen to display too much at once, lagging the game. As long as we don't push the engine like this, Pokemon would be fine on the 3DS.

Well, they are 0% likely to remove the trainer models due to the Z-Moves. So, every game on 3DS will now display 'too much', so, in short, every game on 3DS will lag by your own reasoning.
Also, there will be a massive backlash if any further game is a downgrade from SM.

A Pokemon game on the Switch would also help, however I'm not sure if it would be main-series (like Stars) or it would be a spin-off game.
I wouldn't be opposed to a spin-off game on the Swtich. I'd like to see Pokemon Ranger make a comeback, I love that series.

Some information for speculation: Game Freak's total job openings.

■Open Positions
●Graphic Designer (Artist)
・Technical Artist
・Map Modeler
・Motion Designer (Animator)
・Art Work Designer (Concept Artist)
・UI Designer (UI Artist)

●Programmer
・R&D Department Programmer
・Associate Programmer

●Planner (Game Designer)
・Senior Planner (Senior Designer)
・Associate Planner (Associate Designer)

(apologies in advance if this same viewpoint has been stated in this thread before me x.x)

I see the Switch as a successor to both the Wii U and 3DS - only if it is successful, that is. Which I don't doubt it will, of course. Regardless of what Nintendo is marketing it as, its a portable device at the end of the day, one that also works as a home console, yes, but its still portable and uses a SoC meant for portable devices.

As such, it can play the roles of both Nintendo home console and handheld console (of course, not as powerful as a standard home console, nor as portable as a standard handheld console, but that's to be expected, and a good balance for it's purpose), which would also lead to it receiving titles we would normally see on one or the other, and that includes Pokemon core games, whether it is a new version of Sun & Moon, or a remake of a past gen game, or a brand new game, or - optimally - all three at some point.

And really, that's what should happen in the first place. Making a new entry on the 3DS will only hold it back from what it could be, given how underpowered the 3DS is in comparison to the Switch, while also depriving the Switch from an excellent system seller that fits the platform perfectly. Focusing their efforts on the Switch seems pretty logical to me, and certainly what the thing is made for in the first place.

Bumping this thread since it's relevant again in the New 2DS XL scenario.

I'm yet to form an 'official' stance on the N2DSXL vs Switch on Pokemon (Off topic: it feels too long even abbreviated! Someone should come up with a new abbreviation, maybe 2DSX?). But, my first thoughts are that Nintendo are milking out the worth of 3DS before Switch becomes their new platform.

I think any new Pokemon release will be 'New' DS systems and Switch multi platform (sorry, I couldn't convince myself to write "N3DS/N2DSXL" or anything similar... I hope that someone will come with an abbreviated form soon...)

The next Pokemon games would probably be for either just the 3DS line or for the 3DS & Switch. I think "just for the Switch" may be a little too early within a few years.

With them having announced the 2DS XL, I feel that there will still be 3DS games created for at least a few more years. That's more than enough time to cram in a remake or something.

I suppose it's still possible to make Pokemon both on 2DS LL and Switch.
The Switch versions could always be like Pokemon Colosseum, Pokemon Battle Revolution, etc.
ie: Can trade with main games, but are not main games themselves.

But it seems to me that GF has abandoned the idea ever since Pokemon Battle Revolution because the critics didn't like it and was harsh at criticizing it.

I think a Pokemon game is no doubt in development for the Switch.

But if we get a game sooner than later, I think it will be for the 3DS. The new entry level 2DS shows that Nintendo isn't going to phase the 3DS out for a while.

I don't think you can make a Pokemon game for both switch and 3ds,I mean 60 dollars for a small game lacking content?

If pokemon came to switch it would change the game and make it to big for 3ds.

I don't see pokemon main series on switch anytime soon.

I don't think you can make a Pokemon game for both switch and 3ds,I mean 60 dollars for a small game lacking content?
The Switch version would cost $40, too, obviously. There is no rule about the pricing of Switch games.

Also, calling the 3DS Pokemon games small is weird. Not to mention that the next games are likely to eclipse them in depth of content.

1. Not all Switch games are $60.
2. 'lacking content' is subjective.

EDIT: Just found a post in GaneFAQs that may explain the main motive of the N2DX, which is quite different than "This proves that Pokemon won't move on the Switch" argument.
The release of the Switch is actually the main reason for the purpose of this launch. Nintendo wants to position the 3DS as a cheaper alternative. But at $200 MSRP the New 3DS XL isn't cheaper enough to make that a valid consideration. Only the 2DS is, but no one wants to pick up the "kiddie" clam-free design with the New 3DS around. So the N2DS steps in as a proper "cheaper" alternative. $150 isn't that much less than $300, but it's much closer to being cheaper than $200. The original 2DS had a price drop and if the N2DS gets the same it would be perfect. Well, provided it isn't as flimsy at it looks.

How is the New 2DS being the affordable option independent of a new Pokemon game? Game Freak want kids to play the games, which makes the Switch problematic right now.

Nintendo should have released the system by SM's launch if they aren't planning any big 3DS game for this year.

How is the New 2DS being the affordable option independent of a new Pokemon game? Game Freak want kids to play the games, which makes the Switch problematic right now.

That means that they do not need to stick to the DS line-only anymore if it's the new Nintendo pattern.

Say what now?

I think that a cross-platform release makes sense, but the bottom line is that there should be a 3DS version.

I don't know if this is comparable but the Super Smash bros had the same game for both the 3DS and the WiiU with a few differences in stages and stuff but nothing too drastic.

Back
Top Bottom