• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Analytical thinking. Learn it. Live by it. I beseech you.

>Engage AnalyticalThinking.exe

If I were to mix the plutonium and uranium just right before injecting it into the particle accelerator, it should utilize the effect observed last week to create more stable antimatter particles that can be kept in storage for the Earthcracker...

>End AnalyticalThinking.exe

Yeah, I think some of us do better without it.

In all seriousness? There's nothing to say that Nintendo won't simply decide the Bank is enough. Or, maybe, that new 2DS system they're about to release is made to work with the Switch... Who knows? But, we can't discount the possibility of a lack of communication entirely.

It's simple: If they want to release a Switch game in this generation, they will ensure wireless/online compatibility with SM for battling purposes.

If they don't want a Switch game, then whatever. It isn't due to the lack of communication potential.

And that's the crux of the issue.

I bet I know what Nintendo wants: A Switch game. They practically need one if they plan it to replace the 3DS family.

But what does GameFreak want? If they refuse to develop for the Switch, there's not exactly much Nintendo can do to force them. And Nintendo can't afford to lose one of their biggest franchises by ticking off a developer.

Game Freak could certainly get away with the B2W2 situation all over again.

What they should do is a cross-platform release because that would be a win-win for everyone. And Nintendo could help with the porting if needed.

Okay, first of all, how do you know the 3DS has a year or two left? You're not Nintendo, you don't know for certain how long the 3DS has left. Second, whether or not the system is dead isn't as relevant as whether or not it's technically possible. But if you're that concerned about the system being "dead", a better example for that would be DS and GC. The DS was on the market for 2 years with the GC and could they communicate? Nope.

Either way, the point I was making was that the 3DS and Switch communicating would NOT be a typical relationship. They were created 6 years apart and are arguably from different generations, and the precedence is only for same generation hardware to fully communicate with each other and for previous generations to only communicate through BC. So either the 3DS and Switch are breaking convention or the Switch will only be able to communicate with itself until its successor. So let's not act like 3DS and Switch communication is completely expected, I would go into this expecting only being able to transfer Pokemon from 3DS to Switch via Bank.

You'd be kidding yourself if you believe the 3DS has less than a year left after the announcement of the new 2DS XL. A year or two is a perfectly logical estimate to make. The DS and Gamecube is a better example (much better than your original one), however, Nintendo isn't going to determine whether or not a new console is going to communicate with an older handheld based on what they have done before. It is going to depend on exactly how long Nintendo plan to keep the 3DS around and the amount of games that would actually benefit from the two consoles communicating. Their technology is always improving as well, which makes it easier for consoles to communicate than in the past. The scenario is entirely situational, however, at this point, there is as little reason to assume the two consoles can't communicate than there is to assume they can.

@Bolt the Cat this is also not a typical case since the 3DS appears to be the last handheld. This is a unique situation, and I'm sure Nintendo would make their latest console-handheld successor communicate with (potentially) the last handheld. Since there is no handheld console in line after the 3DS, the Switch has only 3DS as an option to communicate.

EDIT: Also, they must allow communication if they want their handheld franchises to come to the Switch, which is something they want desperately.

Yeah It's not to Gamefreak whether they want 3DS and Switch communicate or not, It's up to Nintendo, they design and build system, hardware and software. GF just make the game that goes along on the system. So if they do communicate I wouldn't mind that, at least I'll keep my 3ds for that, but it'll porbably involving tradung my Xbox One for Switch.

You'd be kidding yourself if you believe the 3DS has less than a year left after the announcement of the new 2DS XL. A year or two is a perfectly logical estimate to make.The DS and Gamecube is a better example (much better than your original one), however, Nintendo isn't going to determine whether or not a new console is going to communicate with an older handheld based on what they have done before. It is going to depend on exactly how long Nintendo plan to keep the 3DS around and the amount of games that would actually benefit from the two consoles communicating. Their technology is always improving as well, which makes it easier for consoles to communicate than in the past. The scenario is entirely situational, however, at this point, there is as little reason to assume the two consoles can't communicate than there is to assume they can.

And that's the other thing, what kind of "support" is the 3DS getting from here on out? Aside from Pokemon, there haven't been any A list or even B list titles on the 3DS in 3 years. What games are coming out in the next year or two or came out recently that would be worth communicating with Switch games? I can't think of any others besides SM. There aren't any big multiplayer games on the 3DS that people are still playing. Most non-multiplayer games would have no use for communication besides little Easter Eggs, and they can already do that with Amiibo. Pokemon is truly the only IP that benefits from this. Beyond that, the Switch is getting much more focus than the 3DS.

GB/C and N64: RGBY/GSC with the Stadium games
GBA and GC: RSE/FRLG with Colosseum/XD/Box/Channel
DS and Wii: DPPt/HGSS with PBR/Ranch
3DS and Wii U: Monster Hunter 3G versions and Smash Bros versions

Notice a trend? Communication between systems is justified for just one franchise, and that is usually Pokemon. Should there be a cross-platform release, the Switch version would communicate with the 3DS one and SM; I see nothing wrong there.

You're sure pushing the "3DS is being abandoned" argument a lot for someone who doesn't believe a Switch game is possible for this generation.

Last edited:
GB/C and N64: RGBY/GSC with the Stadium games

Also used for Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, and Perfect Dark.

GBA and GC: RSE/FRLG with Colosseum/XD/Box/Channel

Used for various other games.

DS and Wii: DPPt/HGSS with PBR/Ranch

Built in functionality for two devices released close together.

3DS and Wii U: Monster Hunter 3 versions and Smash Bros versions

Also built in functionality, and there weren't even any Pokemon games that utilized it.

Notice a trend? Communication between systems is justified for just one franchise, and that is usually Pokemon. Should there be a cross-platform release, the Switch version would communicate with the 3DS one and SM; I see nothing wrong there.

Pokemon is the highest profile IP to use them, but they're typically used for other games. There is no communication method designed solely for Pokemon on this list.

You're sure pushing the "3DS is being abandoned" argument a lot for someone who doesn't believe a Switch game is possible for this generation.

Pokemon is a historically late adopter to new hardware, it typically takes them about 2 years to come out with the first main series games and they're perfectly content with releasing on last gen hardware in the meantime. And since Pokemon is the only true compatibility driven IP, it makes sense for them to only transition to new hardware with a new generation where they can make a clean break without any consequence. So if there's any IP that makes sense to release on dying hardware, it's Pokemon.

Those other games are small potatoes. And the closeness of system releases is irrelevant because there is nothing complicated about the communication method. For one thing, online communication would definitely work. Wireless depends, but they could always release an accessory that would basically be the Transfer Pak of the good old days. And your point about the Wii U just means that the system sucked.

I fully expect the next game to be a 3DS one, but a cross-platform release would make sense due to 3DS games not being playable on the Switch. I don't see why you're always dismissing that possibility.

It's also rather funny that you're now admitting that Game Freak take their time with new systems, but you fully expected them to release Generation VII for the Switch in 2017. A little skepticism would do you some good.

Last edited:
That would be the win-win solution.

Also, XX shows what a 3DS port for Switch basically looks like... Not all that different, really.

Last edited:
Double posting because this is important: Cross play between the 3DS (X, XX) and Switch (XX) versions of Monster Hunter has been confirmed.

Finally we can shut down those non-communication concerns with this.

So, it can be assumed that Switch and 3DS could trade, and Pokemon Bank will not be the only way to trade Pokemon.

Not sure why when Bank would have taken care of it, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom