• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The absolute worst Best Wishes episode to date?

BW105 (Axew Gets Lost/Lost at the League!) is currently the worst Best Wishes episode, in my opinion. Not only did this episode take place during a league competition (which was already devoid of character development and screentime), but the plot itself was easily resolvable and could have been avoided altogether if Iris kept a close eye on her Axew. As a result of this episode's creation, Ash and all of the recurring characters still in the competition had less time to interact with one another, and there was far less time for what Pokemon League competitions SHOULD be about: battles.

Man, the battle in this episode wasn't even one: Scraggy one-shotting a Darumaka with Headbutt. A DARUMAKA! An unevolved pokemon that Ash had already fought once before in a tournament. One of the best parts about Pokemon League competitions, in my opinion. is that most of Ash's opponents had powerful and fully evolved pokemon while most of the pokemon he uses aren't. Fighting with this disadvantage tests Ash's skills as a trainer and makes his victories over his opponents much more rewarding. I felt the writers treated this on-screen battle like a chore, an obligation for Ash to use all of his Unova reserves once in this tournament. Since the writers planned one 1-on-1, one 3-on-3, and one 6-on-6 for Ash in this tournament, with Pikachu being used twice for his own sake, one of Ash's pokemon had to be left out. Scraggy triumphing in a twenty-second match-up against a Darumaka in the second round of a pokemon league competition that was hyped up for over 2 years was perhaps one of the worst moves the writers ever made.

And now about the actual plot of the episode. Oh goody, this episode introduced a relatively minor league opponent who was eliminated by Virgil. Wow, Virgil and Bianca were actually cooperating with the main characters. It didn't help that Bianca never sent out her pokemon to help, and Virgil didn't do anything until the very end (despite being the leader of a rescue team). And speaking of Virgil, his answer to resolving Garbodor's justified rage against Oshawott for stealing its food was a Soothe Bell, an item that Ash had in Diamond and Pearl. With its focus on comic relief moments, Ash's unevolved pokemon working together to solve an immediate problem at hand, and a conflict against angry pokemon, this sure felt like a taste of Da!. That'd be fine and all, if this actually took place in the Decolora arc and not during a league tournament! Keep the "filler" episodes out of canonical storylines.

Alas, BW105 could have been spent giving Bianca or Trip a better battle and sendoff, or more appropriately, since the first few and last minutes of the episode focused on Ash's upcoming battle against Stephan, focus on their "rivalry." But no, it seems that character focus and Best Wishes don't mesh together so well, even up to the very end.

TOOOOOOO Many to count but Lost At The League, Cheren Episode, Watchog Episode with N, All Cameron Episodes except for The Last Episode with Dawn which is his Debut, The Zoroark Episode I did not even get the plot of the episode the only good thing about it was the guy who looked like a Snorlax.
I will think of more in do time to continue with this.
On Another Note, Happy 400th Post today I feel great about it.

That was definitely a bad episode. I absolutely disliked how Dawn and Iris were instant BFFs and how Dawn said Iris' catchphrase, especially when it felt so out of character.

Yep. I don't feel need to have a "girl bonding" episode. Misty bonded more with Max than May and I just loved that episode. Dawn was so distant from Ash in her cameo that she did sound more as a CoTD than a friend to him.

Alas, BW105 could have been spent giving Bianca or Trip a better battle and sendoff, or more appropriately, since the first few and last minutes of the episode focused on Ash's upcoming battle against Stephan, focus on their "rivalry." But no, it seems that character focus and Best Wishes don't mesh together so well, even up to the very end.

Except for Iris and her "main pokemon", axew and dragonite. Season 2 was their best friend. BW wasn't my friend at all since the season 1, because, hell, Best Wishes is the "Care Bears" of Pokemon", only the (supposed) cute ones deserve a spotlight! As you said, have a few seconds battle just for the sake to have scraggy doing something it's so poor as have axew "axew'ing" in the league.

The absolute worst EPISODE of Best Wishes is BW108 for me, otherwise known as "A Unova League Evolution" for short.

It's like a bombardment of crushed hopes and dreams of the fandom rolled into one episode.

The way Ash suffered his defeat at the hands of Cameron, possibly the worst rival Ash has lost to in a League tournament, and you get this disaster of an episode.

It was so bad I gave it a 1/10 rating. I've never given an episode that low a rating in the entire series before.

Last edited:
BW 105

A filler episode during the League?

...Best Wishes has officially hit rock bottom, Ladies and Gentlemen :dead:

BW113 was a completely unnecessary episode, it didn't have N and seems more like a bw season 1 episode to me. all it had was an ampharos trying to learn ThunderPunch.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom