• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Alola Region

If I can be completely honest I kind of wish they would stop basing regions on real world locations. They don't need to do this and I sort of want them to not be bound the layout of a real world location.

The evidence pointing towards Hawaii is pretty strong. It's also pretty awesome how players were able to connect the dots from the little bits of concept art and other hints we've been given.

I'll be quite happy if it turns out to be Poke-Hawaii. I think there are many possibilies to do great things with Hawaii. It's also not as common as using France for inspiration, for example. Quite exciting!

Based on the titles I would guess China (for some reason I thought that the two objects had a big significance in the country's culture, but I didn't see anything when I double checked.)

It's probably Hawaii though, ha.

ALSO THAT BIRD POKEMON IS FANTASTIC why can't it be real ;_;

LSO THAT BIRD POKEMON IS FANTASTIC why can't it be real ;_;

The design of the pokemon could end like in the picture. And yeah I really really like it. Could become my favourite starter bird in term of design. If the rest of the pokemon will look as good, then this gen could top my favourite generations of design 4 and 6.

Also I am really interested how they will handle the volcano kilauea. I want to walk on colded lava on the lava fields and enter a cave similiar like Mt.Stark cave.

Hoenn 2.0 hype.

The design of the pokemon could end like in the picture. And yeah I really really like it. Could become my favourite starter bird in term of design. If the rest of the pokemon will look as good, then this gen could top my favourite generations of design 4 and 6.

It'd be great if it did, though my expectations are low. Completely agree with you that this generation has the potential to have the best designs yet. (granted anything has potential because we know so little about it the games) Fingers are certainly crossed, however.

If this really turns out to be Hawaii, or an other water- rich, tropical region like Hoenn, how do you think will GF make them different enough?

I remember an interview with Masuda and Sugimori, where Junichi was sayin how he was concerned that BW could end up being too similar to DP, because they shared the same hardware, and he tried to make BW as different from Gen 4 as possible, in terms of region design and Pokemon, etc.

So, what do you think GF and Masuda can/will do in order to differentiate SM and (potentially) Hawaii from Hoenn and ORAS?

Last edited:
If this really turns out to be Hawaii, or an other water- rich, tropical region like Hoenn, how do you think will GF make them different enough?

I remember an interview with Masuda and Sugimori, where Junichi was sayin how he was concerns that BW could end up being too similar to DP, because they shared the same hardware, and he tried to make BW as different from Gen 4 as possible, in terms of region design and Pokemon, etc.

So, what do you think GF and Masuda can/will do in order to differentiate SM and (potentially) Hawaii from Hoenn and ORAS?
Varying the landscape and flora would go a long way, to be honest. More rainforesty areas and some mangroves, as well as areas inspired by native Hawaiian culture, would differentiate our new stomping grounds from Hoenn quite a bit.

Varying the landscape and flora would go a long way, to be honest. More rainforesty areas and some mangroves, as well as areas inspired by native Hawaiian culture, would differentiate our new stomping grounds from Hoenn quite a bit.
I hope so, because as much as I like Hoenn, I don't want other regions trying to copy Hoenn, as I think each region should try to stay unique.

What about Diving? Would Hawaii have Diving and underwater? This is the kind of features/gameplay elements that could make Hawaii a Hoenn 2.0. I know Unova had it but it was totally different and basic.

What about Diving? Would Hawaii have Diving and underwater? This is the kind of features/gameplay elements that could make Hawaii a Hoenn 2.0
I actually want the ability to dive, and explore undersea wrecks or coral reefs. However, I'd prefer a SCUBA tank and regulator than an HM move.

Hawaii has yellow fire trucks.

The fire engines in question, courtesy of Pokécommunity:
CcLcuQPUEAAl550.jpg:large

EDIT: Note the truck's license plate.

Last edited:
I actually want the ability to dive, and explore undersea wrecks or coral reefs. However, I'd prefer a SCUBA tank and regulator than an HM move.
ORAS introduced Scuba Divers and Free Tubers as a trainer class, and the concept of underwater battles... They could return in SM.

Last edited:
*puts on tinfoil hat*

What if Masuda went to spain for no reason just to create a false herring for fans to wrongly speculate on only for another secret team to go research the actual area without anyone knowing?

*puts on tinfoil hat*

What if Masuda went to spain for no reason just to create a false herring for fans to wrongly speculate on only for another secret team to go research the actual area without anyone knowing?
"Your super secret mission is to go have a vacation in one of the most desirable vacation spots in the world."

i don't really think the color of the fire Blastoise-engines is all that relevant. Hawaii isn't the only place in the world that has yellow fire trucks (and there was also this big debate on red vs yellow fire trucks because of what color the eye can see better and such) and it's not like Hawaii is even renown for its yellow fire trucks.

i don't really think the color of the fire Blastoise-engines is all that relevant. Hawaii isn't the only place in the world that has yellow fire trucks (and there was also this big debate on red vs yellow fire trucks because of what color the eye can see better and such) and it's not like Hawaii is even renown for its yellow fire trucks.
The yellow fire trucks and the license plates in tandem are pretty compelling evidence.

"Your super secret mission is to go have a vacation in one of the most desirable vacation spots in the world."
wow... poor Masuda... it's a hard mission ... simply terrible....

But surely Masuda wrote that to troll.. I mean, he don't need to report every place he goes on vacation. Don't think it was something combined, but he was just joking. Actually it was pretty funny

i'm not saying it's not Hawaii. i'm saying the yellow firetrucks are irrelevant to sleuthing out where the game could be.

I agree. I think the hotel, the sculpture, yellow firetrucks doesn't necessarily indicate hawaii. But the rainbow license is a thing.
And all togheter points to Hawaii. It's not the unique possibility, but for what is shown until now, it's the place that has more evidence.

Back
Top Bottom