- Mar 10, 2019
- Reaction score
I have thought about conveying these thoughts in numerous ways, however, I managed to narrow it down into a couple key thoughts.
- OLM are too reactionary these days. They are so concerned with their audience that they will shape the show around this. The problem here is that OLM are ignorant of the fact that Pokemon is not a brand to be enjoyed by children anymore. This message has been echoed over the years, and GameFreak and even TPCI are now acknowledging that Pokemon isn't JUST a children's franchise anymore - it's a franchise to be enjoyed by all ages. Pokemon Go and Pokemon Video Game adverts no longer feature only children, rather people of all ages. However, the anime still pretends like this is a franchise to be enjoyed by only children.
- The Games stay the same. Why can't the anime? For better or worse, GameFreak has made sure that the games are played in the same way as they did when Red & Blue came out. Yet, the anime is not following in the same manner. The problem here is that Pokemon thrives through it's sameness. Do you think that a Pokemon game where the protagonist would stay in school would have been successful? Of course not. People buy and play Pokemon games to experience it's formulaic composition. Yet, OLM have forgotten that. They have changed the anime so much that they failed to recognize the reason that the anime has lasted all these years in the first place was that it NEVER CHANGED! The original series, Hoenn, Sinnoh were all the same. Best Wishes and XY had varying tones, but the core goal was the same as well.
- Let older people Enjoy Pokemon too: This cannot be stressed enough. Yes, Pokemon has always been a children's show, but the difference in the past was that it was not treating us like we were 8 years old. Nowdays, it is. Ash is now a reflection of the audience that OLM are desperately trying to grasp. And this will become even more problematic in the future when it might be too late to save the anime
- Like the games, the west needs to buy into the anime for it to survive. This is coupling all the previous points together into a clear argument. OLM needs to make the show adeptable for all ages; i.e., return to the formula that EVERYONE CAN ENJOY. Pokemon XY was considerbly more popular than Sun and Moon and POKEMON 2019 in the west. Considerably more popular. And the reason for this is because of it's tone. It was a children's show, but anyone could enjoy it. Dragon Ball is huge in the west. In fact, it's more popular than ever because it was able to stick to it's formula. It did not change and it did not need too. Pokemon did not need to change as well. XY was hugely successful, yet OLM were so afraid of the Yokai Audience that they went ahead and changed it anyway.
- Final Point: People in here may have their ideas of what works and does not work in the anime these days, but let us be clear here. Pokemon cannot grow anymore than what it has in japan. With the aging population, and the slight decline of video game sales we know it has reached it's peak. The growth for the brand is coming from the west. and it's coming from all ages. OLM needs to recognize that and give us something that we all can enjoy