• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Anime's quality will continue to spiral downward as long as OLM are ignorant to correcting their mistakes.,

The Games stay the same. Why can't the anime?
One has an experience that the player surrenders themselves into; the other does not. It's why video game movies often fall flat on their faces. Taking away a major experience is always a hurdle.

This is coupling all the previous points together into a clear argument. OLM needs to make the show adeptable for all ages; i.e., return to the formula that EVERYONE CAN ENJOY. Pokemon XY was considerbly more popular than Sun and Moon and POKEMON 2019 in the west.

I am utterly confused at the notion on how we somehow need to stagnate once more. The old formula was criticized left and right for being repetitive. Looking at the older posts on Serebii and here, people praised XY/XYZ for "breaking old trends."

I'm sorry, but I'll never understood why fans think that they know how to 'fix' the anime with rants like these. To me it seems arrogant to believe that your suggestions will 'save' the anime from its 'downward spiral' - you make it sound as if your advice is something that the production team needs, when in fact they know more about how to run the series than any of us do.

I'm with you on this, especially after Satoshipedia got grilled by Joe and the rest of Serebii on Twitter for being arrogant.

Last edited:
I get that you are trying to help but some of these ideas aren't even realistic and some might not even improve the anime at all. I think that people who dislike the path the anime's going in should just go with the flow because things aren't going to change. :(

They are still selling. Still one of the most popular franchises in the world. The anime not appealing to a small portion of the fandom isn't going to damage their reputation.

Ironic. So many people in here defending the new direction of the anime, yet the overwhelming concenus of the new anime in this forum is that it's awful.

The fact that the Pokemon community can accept whatever garbage that is fed to them is the reason why the show will never change and that team rocket will likely fade into irrelevance.

And the last time I checked, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and XY are considered largely the best series in the Pokemon franchise. Both of these generations followed the traditional pokemon formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironic. So many people in here defending the new direction of the anime, yet the overwhelming concenus of the new anime in this forum is that it's awful.

The fact that the Pokemon community can accept whatever garbage that is fed to them is the reason why the show will never change and that team rocket will likely fade into irrelevance.

And the last time I checked, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and XY are considered largely the best series in the Pokemon franchise. Both of these generations followed the traditional pokemon formula. Maybe one day when the entire forum admits that the anime has taken the wrong direction, you will realise how right I actually was.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the new series because I think it's good. In fact I've been vocal about my issues with not only this series but every saga since DP for a while now. It's just that I always shudder internally whenever fans try to give advice to the producers on how they should run their show.

Like, I can understand being frustrated by how this series is going so far - and believe me I can name like a dozen things about this series that piss me off - but the way you phrased certain things in your opening post (as well as that patronizing last sentence in the quoted post above) make it sound as if you think you're a better storyline developer than the current producers. :X3:

That doesn't mean that returning to the regular formula would be widely praised or at least better, especially when people were complaining about the formulaic approach to the anime for years. Besides that, the reception to the first few episodes in one forum doesn't mean that everyone feels the exact same way about it or that the series can't improve. While I can understand some of the complaints at least and why some people wouldn't want to keep up with the series if they don't like the first few episodes that much, I also think that it's just a bit too early to write off the series completely. Not to mention the general opinions of one Pokemon forum is not a strong indication of how well received the new series is.

SinnohBoi said:

Or people actually have different opinions than you do and actually enjoy what the anime provides. The anime has clearly changed as well. You may not like that, which is fine, but that doesn't mean that everyone else is just accepting garbage.

SinnohBoi said:
And the last time I checked, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and XY are considered largely the best series in the Pokemon franchise. Both of these generations followed the traditional pokemon formula. Maybe one day when the entire forum admits that the anime has taken the wrong direction, you will realise how right I actually was.

DP and XY are popular among the online community, but I don't know if kids feel the same way. That is who the show is made for, not for us. If the writers actively catered to older fans based on common complaints and opinions online, Ash would have been replaced at least a decade ago, older characters would appear/be referenced to more often and we'd probably have a Pokemon Adventures/Special anime adaptation by now. Both of those series followed the more traditional Pokemon formula, but that wasn't the reason why those series were well received. They had good characters, good battles and engaging storylines, which can be done without the traditional traveling format. SM was more mixed compared to XY, but it was still generally well received from what I can tell at least. It's also possible that they didn't want Ash to go right back to square one with a new journey right after winning the Alola League to render that victory more moot. Granted, I'd be annoyed if that was the case just because I don't think winning the Alola League is that huge of an accomplishment for a number of reasons, but I can also understand why they wouldn't want to weaken the accomplishment right off the bat with a new series. I don't know where the new series is going or how I'll feel about it, but I'd like to give them some benefit of the doubt that they have some idea of where they're going with this new format and that it can allow for some good character moments and storylines.

You need to stop being insufferable in regards to people's opinions.

On one hand, some of your opinions have a point in that the anime has been aimed exclusively at children, with almost no appeal to anyone above the age of 10. But on the other hand, the anime has shaken things up several times, with mixed results. The games may have retained a sense of formula as well, but this isn't exclusive to Pokémon. You have franchises like Kingdom Hearts and Ratchet & Clank (both platformer/RPG) that owe their success to their formulas. Both tried to make a change (card systems and co-op/tower defense), but were not as well-received and reverted back. And now Pokémon has decide to go with DLC instead of third versions, which is a major change to the franchise.

This new series is only seven episodes in, with the eighth to air tomorrow (Australian time as of this post). To bash a series that's only seven episodes old because you can't accept change, but at the same time want change to please adults in a series that's always been aimed at kids? You're just obnoxious.

But, do they really loved that much because they followed that same old formula, or because of deviations from that formula?

I don't like DP or XY very much. I can see why people like them, but to me Ash is at his best when he is more laid back rather than bent out of shape about a loss or desperately trying to perfect a strategy or transformation. Contests have little appeal to me, while Showcases have none. So the things that set these two series apart from the rest (well, not AG) are not really pluses in my book. That approach was more charming with AG since that was the first time and Ash still acted like a kid. I prefer the current Ash who kicks ass in battles but still cares more about the world around him.

Also, "last time I checked, they are considered largely the best..." is a worthless statement without a decently sized poll to back it up. We should all remember that most of the "hardcore" fandom who discuss the franchise online are in their 20s, meaning that they grew up with DP. So their liking that series the most is not necessarily indicative of some "objective" truth. You'd have to create a poll on a pretty widespread Twitter account to get meaningful results.

Even a decently size poll wouldn't be an accurate representation. There is really no perfect way to measure which series is considered the best. The closest you can get to is maybe financial success and when you look at that then neither DP or XY are the "best", that would be the OS.

I'm sorry, but I'll never understood why fans think that they know how to 'fix' the anime with rants like these. To me it seems arrogant to believe that your suggestions will 'save' the anime from its 'downward spiral' - you make it sound as if your advice is something that the production team needs, when in fact they know more about how to run the series than any of us do.

I get the frustration over certain things in this series that have been ongoing problems - and I hate to be one of those 'stop watching the anime if you hate it so much' type of people - but it's getting to the point where I really do feel that older fans who dislike the series at this point should just learn to let go.
This is exactly why I personally hate fanfics in which people try to "fix" issues they see in the anime.
Satoshipedia
What's that? I've never heard of it.
Contests have little appeal to me, while Showcases have none.
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom