• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Cabinet The Arcade Cabinet #2: Current State of News

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
hey all, welcome to the second arcade cabinet! this discussion is primarily going to discuss the current state of gaming news at the moment given what's occurring in the world.

for those of you who have seen the recent nintendo direct mini, it may come as either a surprise, a disappointment, or really both that, aside from Shin Megami Tensei, they likely don't have any bombshell reveals per se. this is likely due to covid and nintendo employees having to adjust to working at home, so it's likely that fans would have to wait a bit longer for any AAA reveals.

so my question is: how do you think the current COVID situation is going to affect gaming news going forward? are you expecting more delays in games, perhaps? we know that sony and microsoft have prepared well in advanced for their next gen console presentations, but what about from here on out? are we going to hear any more new game announcements from them or do you expect a slow news trickle until perhaps next year?

Link to Previous Arcade Cabinets:

I definitely think Nintendo has been effected, and I believe I even saw some confirmation of that shortly after the disappointing (because we need first party content) Mini Direct. Beforehand, Nintendo had talked like things were still going according to plan, but it seems like something changed. If it hadn't, there's no chance we wouldn't have seen a Nintendo Direct with some first party titles.

It's a bit saddening, but at the same time, if the delay was to protect the lives of the staff at Nintendo than it had to be that way. People's lives are way more important than video games.

• Staff
for me, while the recent direct was underwhelming, it paints a pretty big picture of perhaps how different things are, nowadays. it's kind of surreal how the pandemic shook up even the gaming industry; at this point time i think we'd still be discussing what nintendo had showcased for their E3 direct! and since E3 isn't a thing this year, and no doubt multiple studios have had to transition to work-from-home lifestyles on top of that... it can probably be said, at least for the foreseeable future, that this is probably how things are going to be.

no doubt nintendo employees are taking their time to try to become adjusted to this new lifestyle, and in the meantime they've decided to give us something of an update, even if it wasn't exactly what a lot of people wanted. sony and microsoft fared better likely because they were working on their presentations for their respective next gen consoles for quite some time and as such wanted a lot of fanfare surrounding them, so that doesn't surprise me.

we've evidently seen how the current state of the world has no doubt affected game development over at nintendo. i wonder how it's going to affect sony and microsoft (and even other game companies), as well.

a pikmin 3 remaster was just announced, I know we're all sick of wii u ports, but now I just want XCX and fatal frame 5.

Honestly I think the most important thing with that announcement (especially as it relates to the topic of the thread) is that this is the second time that a major first party title was announced with release date via a Twitter post. I think this will likely be the way that Nintendo gets most of its first party news out until at least January, when we'll have a full direct. We'll also probably have third party directs to fill in the gaps.

...And as it stands, again focusing solely on the topic of the thread now (and not directly replying to you, MCH), I don't really mind that. Especially given the situation the world is in right now. It's great that Sony and Microsoft are able to do these huge State of Plays and conferences right now but to criticize Nintendo for not doing that is a bit shortsighted in my opinion. Sony and Microsoft have consoles releasing this holiday, they should be EXPECTED to do those things. As for Nintendo...they are currently riding out the success of TWO GAMES with 17Mil+ copies sold. They don't need to focus on announcing big things to try and compete with that right now, their goal should be to appeal to their advantage of having recognizable, familiar, and friendly IPs to expand their install base so when games like Breath of the Wild 2, or Mario Kart 9, or Odyssey 2 release next year that they'll maximize their sales of those games.

And also, I would argue that Sony is actually doing the bare minimum right now. They like, just had their first big presentation for their system not even a month ago. They just announced a State of Play that is solely focused on their 8-year old console for some unknown reason. We still have not seen the back of the system, nor do we know what it will be priced as. Microsoft, on the other hand, is knocking it out of the park right now with their marketing of the Series X. They're listening to the fans, and staying toe to toe with Sony if not a step ahead. But Microsoft is also a huge corporation with a lot of resources available for better working from home conditions.

tl;dr I'm cool with twitter announcements, Sony is doing just as bad as Nintendo with their marketing right now given the contexts that both companies are in.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom