• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music The Background Music Thread

JapaneseVersionFan22

Reaction score
Use this thread to discuss anything related to background music in the Pokémon anime

Why did the XY dub completely remove a lot of XY game music?

The XY game music remixes in the XY anime are just so awesome. But why did TPCI completely remove a lot of awesome XY game music including the Gym leader battle theme, Xerneas/Yveltal battle theme, Team Flare Battle theme, Elite four battle theme, and Firing the Ultimate Weapon X theme and replacing most of the XY game music with Ed Goldfarb's childish music?

So that the other dubs pay TPCI for the replacement music rather than the original. Most dubs redub the English verison. It's also cheaper to use their own music than pay for the lisecne to use the Japanese music

So that the other dubs pay TPCI for the replacement music rather than the original. Most dubs redub the English verison. It's also cheaper to use their own music than pay for the lisecne to use the Japanese music
Well do the other dubs that redub the English version still pay Shinji Miyazaki's music that is kept in the English version?

Because forgettable wall-to-wall synth music is way better fitting for a video game adaptation than orchestrated covers of video game music, obviously.
What's wrong with hearing a game music's orchestral cover? Would kids stop watching the dub if the game music was kept?
Because forgettable wall-to-wall synth music is way better fitting for a video game adaptation than orchestrated covers of video game music, obviously.
Anyways, Ed Goldfarb's music is more of an orchestra than just synthesizers.

What's wrong with hearing a game music's orchestral cover? Would kids stop watching the dub if the game music was kept?

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

To answer the question, the answer is simple: licenses cost. It's probable that producing exclusive music tracks is cheaper than either buying the license to play the original Japanese tracks or getting the rights to produce dub-exclusive remixes and covers of the in-game songs.

With that said, not all dub music is bad. For example, I love the dub music from the Entei movie. Though, I suppose the main problem is that the new music doesn't fit as well as the Japanese music.

Personally I doubt they have problems with licensing costs considering I'm pretty sure their was version of Sun and Moon episode 1 and 2 that kept all the Japanese music which they probably had to pay the licensing costs for, I think its more they make their own music so other people pay them licensing costs instead.

Personally I doubt they have problems with licensing costs considering I'm pretty sure their was version of Sun and Moon episode 1 and 2 that kept all the Japanese music which they probably had to pay the licensing costs for, I think its more they make their own music so other people pay them licensing costs instead.

I think it may be a mix of both, actually. It's one thing to buy the license for a small amount of stuff and another to pay for the whole package.

It's kind of like the whole story about Mario not appearing in Wreck-It Ralph, where it was revealed that using him and Luigi would have been very expensive, and as such the staff resorted to only featuring Bowser in the movie. And considering that they also didn't have a plan of how to use the two plumbers, they didn't deem worthwhile to pay the required amount for just a short and meaningless cameo (even if plenty of people would have loved to see that).

So, I could see a similar mindset having a role in the music department.

Well do the other dubs that redub the English version still pay Shinji Miyazaki's music that is kept in the English version?
You'd have to find someone that has seen the Japanese, English and a third dub

Here I am, follower and huge fan of the Italian dub!

I have done a quick compare and checked both the English and Italian dub. And… yes, the Italian dub used the English soundtrack. Not sure about other countries, but I bet they do the same.

The Italian thing surprised me a bit, though, because it ended up at a point that it dubbed faster than the English version. However, I suppose they still bought the English scripts and simply translated and dubbed stuff faster than them.

Here I am, follower and huge fan of the Italian dub!

I have done a quick compare and checked both the English and Italian dub. And… yes, the Italian dub used the English soundtrack. Not sure about other countries, but I bet they do the same.

The Italian thing surprised me a bit, though, because it ended up at a point that it dubbed faster than the English version. However, I suppose they still bought the English scripts and simply translated and dubbed stuff faster than them.

If 5000 dubs use the English music, then clearly the 5000 to 1 has the English win ;) it's good to have confirmation though lol

With these music rights, TCPI probably make the most money for the anime lmao

They do also use the English scripts. So if Ash says he hates bananas for no reason in an English episode but not in the Japanese one, suddenly he hates it in every other country too

Anyway from what I've read, the Japanese send the episodes to the US, who then dub and edit the episodes. The English episodes are then sent to all the other countries. If other countries, such as Italy, aired the episode first then they just aired them quicker, the episode would've already existed in English and just hadn't been released yet

It's kind of a tradition in English dubs of anime to change the musical score. At one point, almost all English dubs of anime did it - Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Digimon, you name it. Now, though, more recent anime dubs are preserving the original Japanese soundtracks. The only exception seems to be merchandise-driven anime, which Pokemon falls under the category of.

Also, many anime series have long moments of silence, while western animation is more likely to have music and dialogue in the majority of scenes.

I think I like the Japanese soundtrack better since it has more shout-outs to the games.

I'm surprised that non-English dubs of Pokemon would use the English music. Most non-English dubs of anime keep the original soundtrack - for example, the Italian dub of Sailor Moon kept the Japanese music.

The simple things for stuff like this, cheaper for TPCI to make original music than to pay Mr Miyazaki great amounts of music.

I don't know why some game music gets edited out of the dub, but the few tracks they consistently keep usually are from the games. I assume TPCi only pays for the commonly-played game tracks knowing they're going to replace most everything else.

I don't know how its supposed to be cheaper - the Korean dub keeps all the Japanese bgm just fine ever since the OS

Well then the Koreans are paying more than TCPI are for music rights

Why is some of Shinji Miyazaki's music from the anime and movies not yet released? Is it because of piracy risks?

And which do you think is better? I won't lose May's theme or Dori dori power Serena's theme? For me, I prefer Mays theme because despite it being fashion related it invokes more action and sounds more of a battle theme while Serena's theme solely relies on a fashion influence? Which do you prefer and why?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom