• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music The Background Music Thread

We really need a release of Miyazaki's OST work from the BW, XY & SM Anime in the future: poor guy, his work is being almost obliterated by the English dub these days...just for TPCi's royalties...and not even in the Pikachu Shorts or Movies do they spare most of it, nowadays, it's sad that even 4Kids wasn't this stupid. I'm glad at least Miyazaki's OST works from the latter get a release nowadays, though.

Last edited:
Who of you believe that TPCI replaces the music with soft music probably for the children's sake or to please the parents?

I believe the contrary, in that TPCi replaces the music for the sake of making royalties, just as 4Kids before them did, only one thing I really dislike in TPCi's case is that they try and conceal it via an under-the-table shady way of doing it.

For example, if you look at the opening credits for Movie 18 & 20 dubbed for instance, you'll see Miyazaki and Mima credited outright, before the end credits where they hide Ed Goldfarb's name at the end there.

On the other hand, 4Kids outright admitted for their first 3 dub Movies (before they started to keep the majority or all of the OST in all the remaining Movie dubs they produced) they thought the American music would reflect what children responded to, more or less (though Movie 2 dubbed sadly still kept more OST than Movie 20 dubbed did, although it's a 2/XX vs a 1/XX so that's neither here nor there, but as trivia).

But at the heart of it, it's a money making scheme to collect royalties, in the end: it was under 4Kids, and it certainly is under TPCi now as well, plain and simple. The edits and such, I think, in both dubs were done more for the children's sake and to please the parents than any music changes.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been asked but what are some game tracks that you guys wish had been remixed for the anime?
Iris' Champion battle theme, Zinnia's theme... Come to think of it, sequels and remakes never get any of their music carried over to the anime. Having some music from side-games (such as Pokémon Ranger) would've been nice as well, though I guess a lot of those aren't directly owned by TPC.

The main menu/lobby theme from Colosseum would have been really nice to hear. And I know I said this already but Route 47 from HeartGold/SoulSilver was one of the most beautiful pieces in that game and a sweeping anime orchestration of it would have been incredible, it's a shame they don't really remix the remake tracks

I'm new here, I'm looking for the ending theme song from "Ash catch a Pokemon". I was looking for a long time but still did not find it, if someone knew about the song name please give me a reply ...

I was just watching the Japanese version of that XYZ episode where Ash runs off into the snow after losing to Wulfric. There’s a lot of silence, and most of the dialogue is accompanied by nothing but the sound of wind. The American version of the episode ruins those scenes by adding over-the-top “serious” music. I normally don’t give a hoot about this show’s background music, but when the dubbers ruin scenes like this, that’s when I have a problem with it.

If ever Tripokalons have battles..
and Serena's Braixen is about to lose one battle before the Master Class but suddenly activates Blaze, would Type:Wild be a good choice?

And what dubbed episodes do you know that used some of the dub music from the first three movies?

And what scene in the XY saga would be more fitting with the Route 26 theme?
I was just watching the Japanese version of that XYZ episode where Ash runs off into the snow after losing to Wulfric. There’s a lot of silence, and most of the dialogue is accompanied by nothing but the sound of wind. The American version of the episode ruins those scenes by adding over-the-top “serious” music. I normally don’t give a hoot about this show’s background music, but when the dubbers ruin scenes like this, that’s when I have a problem with it.
The name of the episode I was referring to is The Pampered Tyrunt. It belongs to the XY Season , not XY & Z

And what scene in the XY saga would be more fitting with the Route 26 theme?
The group joining hands after Ash and Clemont's Gym Battle.
A scene where Ash watches the sunrise before an important match (I can't remember which episode).
The final scene of the Flare five-parter, had it been longer (it should have been longer).

And what dubbed episodes do you know that used some of the dub music from the first three movies?
The one I always recall is Mew's theme being used when Croagunk meets Cynthia for the first time and chills out.

The name of the episode I was referring to is The Pampered Tyrunt. It belongs to the XY Season , not XY & Z
He was just making an independent post, not answering yours.

The dub version of the Rocket's Secret Strategy theme, I believe from the first movie, was used somewhat frequently during Johto.

Am I the only one who really LOVES the BGMs that were composed exclusively for the Dub version of the BF and D&P series?

In Get the Show on the Road and A Poached Ego you can hear songs from the 1st movie. When May and Professor Birch are lifting Ash and Pikachu up the rope and when Arbok and Weezing are watching Tyranitar attack TR.

Which songs?
I don’t know the name of the songs but in AG001 it is the song in M02 when Ash is going up Fire island in the boat on land.

AG006 when Arbok and Weezing are distraught is the song that plays when Ash “dies” in M01 and all the Pokémon are crying.

Several of the movie songs are in random Johto and Hoenn episodes IIRC.

If the Diancie movie was still given the title of Gekijoban Pocket Monsters XY
search

Would this be a better title theme for the movie?
View: https://youtu.be/upC6LGx9GKA

Am I the only one who really LOVES the BGMs that were composed exclusively for the Dub version of the BF and D&P series?
It was certainly better than Ed Goldfarb's dub music, IMO, although John Loeffler was the dub composer since the start to the end of BW's dub before he was replaced (still, doing better than Goldfarb's stuff is not a high bar to beat for me, as his score is one of many, many things that has turned me away from the English dub entirely as time went on), but I preferred the Kanto-Mid Johto era dub BGM, personally . To me, that was the closest the dub came to ever composing real music on its own merit, without sounding like they slammed on a synthesizer every few moments (I know Dogasu thinks all dub music is trash, but despite me hating the practice of replacing the OST, I feel there IS a difference in the quality of the composition of it), although I'll take anything 4Kids and TPCi composed previously, over the dub music we get now.

Like I still believe that the XY & SM (aka the "GGG" era) dub is the worst the Pokemon dub has ever been in general (I never thought I'd feel more positive about the DP dub than I do nowadays, but in hindsight, at least TPCi didn't butcher the music back then and they didn't edit nearly as much as now, despite my never-ending problems with the current VA directing & script changes still persisting in that Era), I'll also argue the dub music nowadays is the worst its ever been for me, too.

It doesn't help TPCi gut the OST from the Series in all forms these days (something even defunct 4Kids never did when they were in charge), of course, but Goldfarb's stuff sounds too whimsical and goofy in battles for me, and he has re-used the same "Batman" (some call it Ash's surf/SM dub theme) piece over 90 times in 43 episodes of SM now, which also doesn't fit the Series well, either. The redundancy of his tracks just gets hard to swallow after a while, for me.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom