• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music The Background Music Thread

What is the theme song that sounds in the background of Flint & battles in late DP episodes? I'm watching all the anime episodes and recently I noticed a really cool theme song in the background that I like a lot. You can distinctly hear it in this youtube video for about 1 minute:
View: https://youtu.be/28hJhXDD4fM?t=3m15s

For a few episodes it's used mainly when Flint appears, but later it's also used in the background of some battles. I don't know what it's called or if it has a name at all. I'd really like to hear a full version of it, but I can't find anything. Can anyone help me?

What is the theme song that sounds in the background of Flint & battles in late DP episodes? I'm watching all the anime episodes and recently I noticed a really cool theme song in the background that I like a lot. You can distinctly hear it in this youtube video for about 1 minute:
View: https://youtu.be/28hJhXDD4fM?t=3m15s

For a few episodes it's used mainly when Flint appears, but later it's also used in the background of some battles. I don't know what it's called or if it has a name at all. I'd really like to hear a full version of it, but I can't find anything. Can anyone help me?

Hi there! That sounds like dub exclusive music that's been unreleased to the public.

I know season 13 definitely increased the amount of original BGM
It did not, actually, to clarify just this one point: there was a decrease from Season 12 keeping 47% down to 38.3%, then they shot up to 92% in S14, and then back down like you said to 36% in S15. TPCi's first 1/xx dub episode is actually in Season 13, in fact, DP186 (there's also the random 100% OST kept in Ash vs. Tobias to compensate but you get the point).

Of course, that's great compared to 20% of the OST kept in S16, and especially from 9.2-19.3% kept in S17-21's dubs (the new low is currently 9.2% kept in Season 21's dub), at least. The last few seasons in the English dub (late BW, XY & SM) make the AG era dub seasons (even Seasons 8-9) look good on keeping Japanese music, as hard as it is to believe- even 4Kids never got quite this music replace happy later on in the Anime nor did TPCi at the very start: TPCi's latest path is just sad on this front since Ed's crew took over as the dub music composers, editors, etc.

Things were bright, with that upward trend throughout DP until BW S2... Then it just literally did the exact opposite.
DP actually has a weird trend in the dub: it starts out with Season 10 keeping 34.3% of the Japanese music, then in the middle "peaks" with 45-47%, and then goes back down in Season 13 to keeping 38.3% of the Japanese music on average. It wasn't a consistent upward trend at all, unless you exclude Sinnoh League Victors, a lot of people seem to be mistaken about this.

The fact that the dub change was even due to budget in the first place could lend it some credibility, too.
The dub change was done to cut costs on said budget, and save money: TAJ at the time outbid 4Kids for a cheaper rate to produce the dub, TPCi saw they could save cash on production by doing that, so that's what happened. Hence, we saw the departure of all of the original English voice actors and writers with the exceptions of James Cathcart & Kayzie Rogers. What's even weirder is TAJ kept using stock 4Kids dub BGM every even numbered episode for the 2 seasons they dubbed on their own (BF & DP Season 10), as well.

It certainly makes it a lot more tolerable (but nothing can be done about the awful TR jokes).
Nor does it do anything about all the rewrites they made to Ash & Cross' dialogue like "Might makes right," "Kay," and Ash's slang-y dialogue either, or the questionable voice acting quality.

Even still, the fact that it's his job to come up with a new soundtrack to the show (a soundtrack which, by the way, has a dedicated fandom) doesn't make him a monster. Nobody here said he is, but they sure seem to act like it. I mean, even the ousted Ryu Taylor (whose vendetta against the Japanese music compelled him to make the ridiculous ultimatum of skipping M21 if it doesn't gain a dub soundtrack) doesn't deny Miyazaki deserves respect. (My apologies for bringing up an infamous figure.)

And besides, remember how angry these boards got at John Loeffler for actually blatantly disrespecting the Japanese music? (Not trying to reopen old injuries, mind you)
Ed Goldfarb isn't the direct problem in terms of music replacing: Akhil Gopal and Dave McNair do the actual music mastering and editing for the dub, so they deserve the flak for doing that- Goldfarb's at fault for spamming the same 4 themes in almost every dub episode, especially his Batman theme over 110 times in 60 episodes (which is the most spammed a dub music piece has ever been in the 21 years the dub has been on air) and not composing fitting pieces for the mood in certain scenarios (such as playing circus like music in Totem Battles). Ultimately, Kenji Okubo as Kevin said orders all of these things among DuArt ordering OLM via TPCi to make visual edits for the dub, so he bears the bulk of the blame for it all.

That being said, Goldfarb certainly can be criticized for his music composition work, and isn't above criticism just as Loeffler and Miyazaki weren't- so long as we aren't name-calling him or bashing him personally, his work is fair to criticize.

Last edited:
It did not, actually, to clarify just this one point: there was a decrease from Season 12 keeping 47% down to 38.3%, then they shot up to 92% in S14, and then back down like you said to 36% in S15. TPCi's first 1/xx dub episode is actually in Season 13, in fact, DP186 (there's also the random 100% OST kept in Ash vs. Tobias to compensate but you get the point).
Where did you get these percentages? Are these represent time on music or just number of soundtacks?

Where did you get these percentages? Are these represent time on music or just number of soundtacks?
(a) From a document online that essentially lists how much percent of Japanese music was kept in each season, Movie, etc. in the English dub of Pokemon (for the main Series)- if you want, I can link it.
(b) Number of soundtracks kept: so let's say they keep 5 pieces out of 20 in the original per se, like that (like the old list that was on here, it doesn't count when they keep the wrong piece of Japanese music in the wrong place or WTP segments etc, just what's in the actual episode). In some cases (has happened in every dub saga), the dub will cut off certain segments of Japanese music to use dub music when they do keep it, as well (happened in the last 2 dub eps from SM, in fact).

Pikachu Records used to be in charge of the Pokemon anime music in Japan. However, in 2011 it was sold to Kadokawa Corporation. Thus, Sony Music took over the rights for the Pokemon anime music. Unfortunately, Sony won't even give out the rights to most of the music. And I think all of that happened under TPCI's orders. My guess is, Kenji Okubo had a dispute with Shinji Miyazaki, and thus, ordered Kadokawa Corporation to acquire Pikachu records to prevent most of Miyazaki's music from reaching the west.

Pikachu Records used to be in charge of the Pokemon anime music in Japan. However, in 2011 it was sold to Kadokawa Corporation. Thus, Sony Music took over the rights for the Pokemon anime music. Unfortunately, Sony won't even give out the rights to most of the music. And I think all of that happened under TPCI's orders. My guess is, Kenji Okubo had a dispute with Shinji Miyazaki, and thus, ordered Kadokawa Corporation to acquire Pikachu records to prevent most of Miyazaki's music from reaching the west.
While it's a decent enough theory, I think TPCi is just replacing most of the OST to make royalties as per standards of practice with the dub over the years (or rather, DuArt is in the main Anime dub and associated films): I mean, they can leave the OST alone for Pokemon Origins & Generations (though the latter is a questionable dub VA & script wise imo, but that's irrelevant) so there's no need to replace it here.

00:20 Hau'oli City (Day)
01:31 Hau'oli City (Night)
02:56 Hurry Along
03:58 Hau's Theme
05:05 My Home
06:15 A Captain's Trial Begins!
08:01 The Pokémon Research Lab
09:10 The Festival in Iki Town
10:16 The Pokémon Center
11:34 Ride Pokémon (Land)
12:48 Trainers' School
14:04 Iki Town
15:44 Battle! Gladion
17:19 An Encounter
18:27 Lillie's Theme
20:00 Ancient Poni Path

1:50:30 The Pokémon League
1:51:30 Hau'oli City (Day)
1:52:42 Hau'oli City (Night)

1:53:18 Festival Plaza (Day)
1:54:48 On the Ship
1:55:52 Alola Region Theme
1:57:25 [another version of A Captain's Trial Begins?]

Last edited:
this.
this is like a Christmas present

I'm so HAPPY yall, some actual music got "released" and I'll TAKE IT

We've got a playlist for it and everything.
SM BGM - YouTube
Gladion's battle music is fantastic.

This video that people keep sending me about how Sony Music Entertainment is the reason the music replacement is bad in the English dub doesn't make much sense. Music replacement has happened from day one of the anime. From 2011 onward, where SMEJ does have control, the same stuff happens. Some original Japanese tracks, sure, but most of it has always been low quality synth. The inconsistency isn't explained by the rights holder change at all.
Also, his reasoning on the first two episodes of Sun & Moon's English dub having all of the original music intact for the preview airing ("Because they're not the official product? I guess?") doesn't even make a lick of sense.

Edit: Seeing as even the current composer for the non-Asian international release of the anime is on board, I just don't understand what could possibly be the holdup.

Last edited:
Does anyone apparently know the answer to this question: are there pre-Unova Dub-exclusive BGMs that play in Dub episodes of Best Wishes, XY(&Z) or SM?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom