• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music The Background Music Thread

Does anyone apparently know the answer to this question: are there pre-Unova Dub-exclusive BGMs that play in Dub episodes of Best Wishes, XY(&Z) or SM?

Nope, as far as I know. I remember the Best Wishes dub bgm being mostly exclusive to that series and no pre-Unova dub exclusive music being used from XY(&Z) onwards . I did hear somewhere that the "Who's that Pokemon" jingle when returning from commercial break is a remix of the same music from Season 1 though.

Nope, as far as I know. I remember the Best Wishes dub bgm being mostly exclusive to that series and no pre-Unova dub exclusive music being used from XY(&Z) onwards . I did hear somewhere that the "Who's that Pokemon" jingle when returning from commercial break is a remix of the same music from Season 1 though.

Ah, that sucks. I was really fond of pre-Unova Dub-exclusive BGMs (especially Battle Frontier & DP Dub-exclusive BGMs). The quality has in my opinion been deteriorating from Unova onwards. John Loeffler's talent is far superior to that of Golfarb's...

I like the nice Hawaiian theme Goldfarb’s SM music has, miles better than his XY stuff by far. The problem is how repetitive it is. When you hear the same three or four music cues every two minutes, you have to wonder how cheap TPCi has gotten.

Another problem is that his music isn’t as memorable as the Japanese version. Even 4Kids’ dub music was more memorable. Some of their music was so well composed that I had trouble distinguishing it from the Japanese stuff. That isn’t the case with TPCi’s dub music. I can always tell it apart from the original music by the overuse of xylophone.

Last edited:
The Movie's soundtrack CD has had its first details come out. This time there's a Limited Edition that, in addition to the music from Movie 22, features a bonus disc which appears to contain the music from the Original Mewtwo Strikes Back and some other external goodies (TBA)

That bonus disc is potentially a great addition since the original Movie 1 ost is long out of print and very expensive online. Not to mention it didn't release some tracks, while a number of those on the disc had bits of dialogue from the film placed between them. Since Pikachu Records no longer exists, it stands to reason that this bonus disc would likely not just be a copy/paste of the older release, and will possibly present all of the film's music without dialogue or edits getting in the way. Definitely a collector's piece to look forward to

Good to see that there is a thread for musics in anime, really I did not know that there is ome before.

I really have some discusses but I will make later. However, I do have a question which is abot that music in pokemon diamond pearl anime.

The question is what the name of music that appeared when musprit uxie and azelf appeared in the legend episode? The music that appeared in the entires these three episode. When tje muaprit apered uxie azelf, and when the two DIalva and palkia appered. In appered with these two also in the first movie. And finally it appered one time in Black and white when Ash and Cilan talked with the Audino that been hypnotised in the beginning of this episode

So is the new movie just rehashing the original Mewtwo movie's soundtrack, or are they producing new tracks as well?

So is the new movie just rehashing the original Mewtwo movie's soundtrack, or are they producing new tracks as well?
No confirmation thus far but it's likely to be similar to M20 with the majority of its music being remixes, though I would be surprised if there was absolutely no original content in there somewhere. The CDs are likely being released together in a similar manner to the Let's Go OST. Have the newer versions and the original tracks together for the sake of comparing differences between similar tracks/scenes

Ooooh I'm glad this thread has been resurrected, because I've been meaning to ask...

Does anyone remember any specific instances of Johto game music getting tracks in the anime? I can vaguely remember hearing the odd one circa Johto Journeys period but can't remember any details. (I'm currently playing HG hence the sudden interest.)

Ooooh I'm glad this thread has been resurrected, because I've been meaning to ask...

Does anyone remember any specific instances of Johto game music getting tracks in the anime? I can vaguely remember hearing the odd one circa Johto Journeys period but can't remember any details. (I'm currently playing HG hence the sudden interest.)
Several Johto tracks were remixed for the anime and movies over the years, most of them starting in 1999.

All of these tracks from the Johto games were remixed as TV tracks, with additional remixes for movies noted afterwards
Title Screen - additional remix in M21 (released as "Main Title")
Route 29
Johto Wild Pokemon Battle - additional remixes in M03 (unreleased, Misty VS Molly) and M10 (released as "Pokemon Are...")
Ecruteak City
Rival's Theme/Battle - additional remixes in M03 (unreleased, Brock VS Molly 2) and M21 (released as "Hold it right there, Team Rocket!")
Bug-Catching Contest
Bicycle
Route 38
Johto Trainer Battle - additional remix in M03 (unreleased, Brock VS Molly 1)
Surf
Team Rocket Encounter
Radio Tower Takeover - additional remix of first few seconds in M20 (released as "Onix Appears")
Route 26
S.S. Aqua
Champion Battle
Ending

You can find the initial TV versions of these tracks fairly easily with the same or similar titles, however the movie versions have titles that moreso reflect their use in the film itself (also findable via search with noted titles)

The very end of the slowpoke well episode (called shadow of a drought in dub I think) has a mix of Cianwood City, I only know this because I just watched it today because I happen to be playing soul silver right now (my favorite game of all time) and it has made me want to watch Johto eps.

Thank you both so much!! I will have to go on a hunt now :giggle: I'll let you know if I find anything particularly fab.

The Johto Rocket encounter music was super overused in Johto/Hoenn but I would love if it found its way back into the anime, would be a breath of fresh air nowadays.

super overused

Smogon should consider a new category.

Anyway, I agree. It's really appaling that Pocket Monsters is isolating itself from the past gen OSTs (besides Kanto's ugh). Also don't see old OSTs making their way back in SwSh either I'm afraid...

I own a few CD's of old anime music from OS through DP, but I think some of my favorite tracks in the anime have been from movie soundtracks. It just feels like the composer(s) puts in more effort when it comes to the BGM used in movies (especially the first movie which had the best music imo, such as To the Hopeful Sky).

The very end of the slowpoke well episode (called shadow of a drought in dub I think) has a mix of Cianwood City, I only know this because I just watched it today because I happen to be playing soul silver right now (my favorite game of all time) and it has made me want to watch Johto eps.
Listening to that track reminded me of the instance I had been thinking of - it plays at the end of Happinas the Happy Nurse/Ignorance is Blissey when Happinas is mournfully thinking of Musashi after she's been blasted off :cry: Such a wonderful bit of music... (I love both the Ecruteak and Cianwood versions in HGSS, I can't help just wandering around those two towns whenever I am in proximity in the game just to indulge in the music!!)

My wishlist tracks which will now never get anime versions I'm sure are Violet/Olivine, National Park, Eusine and aaaaaaallllll Kimono Girl related music.
Is there an insult equivalent to Genwunner for a Gentoower? I'm deffo that...

Is there any instance of pre season 14 OST being used in the current series? I still cannot fathom as to why the show is instant on ignoring the older scores in favour of newer ones (which are not all that great to begin with). Even the 20th movie soundtrack hasn't been used in the anime (which is slightly surprising)

Is there any instance of pre season 14 OST being used in the current series? I still cannot fathom as to why the show is instant on ignoring the older scores in favour of newer ones (which are not all that great to begin with). Even the 20th movie soundtrack hasn't been used in the anime (which is slightly surprising)
Ever since XY, the earliest tracks being used in the show are from Movie 15 and its associated Pikachu Short, anything else beforehand has been left out (However the XY series remixed many tracks from BW, M12 and 14 which are still in use today). No music from before that point has been in use. There's no official reason as to why this is the case, though theories go as far as the tracks in rotation being more associated with the buyout by Sony Music, or as simple as a creative choice to not use older recordings. There's just no clear cut explanation. That being said, various Movie 20 tracks HAVE been in use during SM since late 2018, though most of them aren't the OS remixes that people are most familiar with (but even those popped up during Brock and Misty's Alola visit).

Music use is definitely its own weird bag and I assume that it's only going to get more complicated with the SwSh anime's own tracks, as well as the show putting M21 tracks into rotation at that point.

I understood the music reset at the beginning of Best Wishes as it fit in with what the anime was trying to do. No pre-Gen 5 Pokemon save for Pikachu and Nyasu, Satoshi was given a new approach, Takeshi was retired, the Rocket trio was overhauled, very little (if any) references to the past...it added in to the whole fresh feeling the show was going for. And, in those episodes, it worked really well because it forced the staff to use all new stuff except for all of the Diamond&Pearl movie music they used, but even that was still relatively new at the time and really set the series apart from the previous three.

That being said, once Season 2 started and the old Pokemon returned along with Hikari and Shirona it felt weird that they didn't slowly re-introduce some of the old music. BW116 was especially weird because it had all of these nostalgic Kanto flashbacks...with Isshu music playing? SM042 and SM043 felt equally as weird due to the lack of old music despite being wall-to-wall nostalgia. I'm glad some old tracks are finally showing back up even if they are remixes, I just hope we get to see more. XY and Sun&Moon suffer from using a lot of the same tracks over and over which is a shame considering the large backlog of music the show is sitting on. I totally get that they want to use stuff that better represents the current games, but some variety wouldn't hurt. Besides, they really missed out on using old Advanced Generation music around the time ORAS came out.

As a side note, I wonder if we're going to get another music reset with Sword&Shield. Like if they'll announce another big BGM compilation with all of the tracks from BW, XY, and SM but then banish them from being used in the show. At least that would mean we'd finally get official releases of a lot of the new music.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom