• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The best age for Player Characters?

Best Age for Player Character

• Pre-Teen (10-12)

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Early Teen (13-14)

Votes: 38 27.9%
  • Mid-Teen (15-16)

Votes: 62 45.6%
  • Late Teen (17-19)

Votes: 24 17.6%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of posts saying that "ten-year-old kid saving the world" concept is ridiculous, and would rather prefer older characters. Hilbert and Hilda of BW had been welcomed by many because of their mature looks compared to previous generations.

Maybe ten is a bit too young, but then again, exactly how old would be tolerable?

Which would be the most appropriate age for the player character?

I think somewhere around or 15-17 is best. It's old enough for the kids to be believably capable, but still young enough to relate to the target audience.

10-12. I don't mind being so young, and there are a lot of younger kids who play Pokémon.

I'd say mid teen (15-16) is best. Although, for all we know every in GSC, RSE and DPPt is more than 11 - 11 is just the age given for Red. None of the later games have the age confirmed.

I don't think they should be anything other than 10-12. Pokémon is meant to be escapist fantasy, and we can't forget that its core audience it's intended for is young children of that age (well it's probably a range of about 7-12). It's not meant to be particularly realistic, it's meant to convey feelings of excitement and adventure.

Last edited:
I think they should make it an option. have a few different ages you can pick.. if youre a little kid pick 10-12.. if your a bit older pick 13-16 or so. then if youre an adult, you can pick 17-19.. I know its supposed to be young though because thats when kids set out on their journey but when you're older, playing with a character thats a kid is a bit odd. but thats kind of odd since the characters in BW can pass as at least 13.
As a side note, there should be an option so you dont have to have someone show you basic things in the games anymore.. I've been playing for 10+ years, I don't need someone showing me how to catch a Pokemon, use the PC and telling me what the Pokemon center is for. I've know how to do that since before you were programmed.

You guys haven't played enough videogames if you don't believe 12 years old to be the perfect age for saving the world. Being two years less or more than that is okay, deppending on the tone of the game.

Now seriously, you have to consider there is a much larger psychologic gap between 10 to 11 than there is to say, 18 to 19.

In the end I don't really care about their age, BW characters are supposedly mid teens as opposed to the rest and that's fine for everyone. And Red is supposedly 14 in GSC. That said, it'd be interesting to see a design between the two, but I guess that's something that works better for the side games?

I don't need someone showing me how to catch a Pokemon,
Isn't that optional in all games besides FRLG? (and well, technically RSE, but there you are teaching an NPC so that's ok) I don't clearly remember.

What about Toon Link, the Ice Climbers, Mega Man, and the Mother characters? They're young yet they save the day.

Mid-teen, it's the best all-round for escapism purposes. When you're younger, you see the teenagers around that age as the coolest people on Earth, and when you're older, it's the stage of your life you wish you were in again. Sob.

red was 11 during RBY, 14in GSC/HGSS and was 24 during BW (after you beat the game he's 25 according to the TV show about you saying you went on your journey 1 year ago). so i vote preteen

red was 11 during RBY, 14in GSC/HGSS and was 24 during BW (after you beat the game he's 25 according to the TV show about you saying you went on your journey 1 year ago). so i vote preteen

When has it said that Red is 24?

I definitely like the older protagonists in BW. I was getting tired of playing a 10-12 year old. The best age is around early to mid teen.
But like someone said earlier, late teen might be good as well.... I still feel bad for having a slight crush on Hilda....

Mid-teen. For me, it's not really the saving the world that's more appropriate, but the leaving home and dealing with emotional things such as losses better. I just think you mature a lot (well, I hope) during that period, and that your Pokemon journey is about escapism but it's also about growing up and being able to deal with situations wisely.
Also, it's young enough in my opinion, to be a young trainer.

For me i would have to say, 12-15 would have to be the sweet spot. It just seems to be the right amount of growth and maturity for a person in that role,your millage may vary on that though

Mid-Teen (15-16)

The best stage in life, in my opinion. Your only this age, once. And you'll never get the chance to be this age ever, again.

Mid-teen, it's the best all-round for escapism purposes. When you're younger, you see the teenagers around that age as the coolest people on Earth, and when you're older, it's the stage of your life you wish you were in again. Sob.
I don't know what kind of teenage years other people must have had, but I wouldn't be 16 again for the world.

I don't know what kind of teenage years other people must have had, but I wouldn't be 16 again for the world.

Yeah peoples memories tend be that way,its just the way the brain makes you think.

Although not everyone's teen year's were the same so lets take note of that.

Back on topic, even if they were to change the ages, dont think we should expect +age=darker plot.

I'd say late teen would be the better choice indeed and maybe be even later. I am 23 myself, so it would fit me best, however I do think that it would also fit the younger crowd better as well. When I think about it, when I was young I didn't ever want to play as a child character in a game I always wanted to play as and adult character.

I'd like to skip the latter half of my teenaged years, thank you very much. =/

Me, I'd think 13 would be ideal. Young enough to go on a journey, old enough to be a bit responsible. When I was an older teen, I had way too much going on in my life; even if I lived in the Pokemon world, I may not have left on a journey at that point. I had a boyfriend whom I didn't want to leave, exams, college to worry about, etc. I didn't have those bothers when I was younger.

So yeah, early teens makes the most sense to me.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom