• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The big bang or intelligent design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well let me ask you can you show me emotion in physical chemicals? Can you show me the difference between compassion and love under a microscope?

Well let me ask you can you show me emotion in physical chemicals? Can you show me the difference between compassion and love under a microscope?

Sure! According to Wikipedia Love is:
Wikipedia said:
Recent studies in neuroscience have indicated that as people fall in love, the brain consistently releases a certain set of chemicals, including pheromones, dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin, which act similar to amphetamines, stimulating the brain's pleasure center and leading to side-effects such as an increased heart rate, loss of appetite and sleep, and an intense feeling of excitement.
And about compassion
Wikipedia said:
Research in recent years has focused on possible brain processes as concomitant with empathy (Preston & de Waal, 2002). Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) has recently been employed to investigate the functional anatomy of empathy (for reviews see Decety & Jackson, 2006; Decety & Lamm, 2006; deVignemont & Singer, 2006). These studies have shown that observing another person’s emotional state activates parts of the neuronal network involved in processing that same state in oneself, whether it is disgust (Wicker et al., 2003), touch (Keysers et al., 2004), or pain (Morrison et al., 2004; Jackson et al., 2005, 2006; Lamm et al., 2007; Singer et al., 2004, 2006).

Anyway, I thought Arceus created the Universe with it's 1000 arms, and people are obviously descendants of Aipom.

But seriously, Creationisim should stay in one place: Church. Period. It shouldn't be taught on school simply because:
A) America isn't a Theocracy. If I wanted to hear about Creationisim I'd move to the Vatican.
B) There is no evidence to back it up. Until I see a photo of God creating the Universe it will remain myth and only myth. Nothing more.

We can see emotions' affects on the brain (what's stimulated). Though that still doesn't answer what exactly is going on.

Seriously though that's not what I'm talking about and we can leave creation in Church I'm cool with it but also leave evolution in Science/theory class and say it's a theory not absolute truth.

What I'm asking is if you can show physically show me love or physically show me fear of spider while I think they are cute.

******Let's not do it here, take it to my new thread called Emotion and Chemical reaction.

Seriously though that's not what I'm talking about and we can leave creation in Church I'm cool with it but also leave evolution in Science/theory class and say it's a theory not absolute truth.

What I'm asking is if you can show physically show me love or physically show me fear of spider while I think they are cute.

******Let's not do it here, take it to my new thread called Emotion and Chemical reaction.

Love is a subjective term.

But yes --one can physically show a fear of a spider. Fear being surprisingly easy to track via MRI.

This sounds like a misunderstanding of the word "theory". This is falling into the "it's only a theory" trap. The term "theory" is commonly used when "hypothesis" is what is meant, ie. something happens, and it is one causal explanation. A theory is a hypothesis that has been subject to rigorous testing, through any combination of observation, experimentation, peer review, debate, and so forth. Evolution, as observed in nature, fits with evolution theory. Aberrations in species fit with their evolutionary past.

A theory isn't absolute truth, but it's the best we've got until something better comes along.

"...show me love"? lol... I've got the lyrics of the Тату song going through my head at the mention of that! (Sorry.)

But yes --one can physically show a fear of a spider. Fear being surprisingly easy to track via MRI.

Creatures such as dogs and wolves can smell fear. (Specifically they can smell the chemicals that are the cause of a fearful reaction.) And, fear isn't necessarily that easy to track via MRI. I have a fear of MRIs.

So can we as humans stop the chemical reaction or are we just supressing the choice to react? nvm

And evolution hasn't been obsevered to transvere one creature evolving into another, I'm not getting drawn into this again.

So can we as humans stop the chemical reaction or are we just supressing the choice to react? nvm

And evolution hasn't been obsevered to transvere one creature evolving into another, I'm not getting drawn into this again.

You're faced with a large, fierce dog, say of Arcanine proportions, snarling, slavering jaws, and all that. Fear is subconscious. You can make a conscious effort to attempt to suppress your fear, sure. ("Pheromones" was the word I was looking for to describe the chemicals.)

The reason evolution hasn't been observed on a macroscopic scale is simple. We've only been looking for just over 100 years. Macroscopic evolution takes place over thousands of years. Actually it has been observed. Grey wolf -> chihuahua.

Ganondorf said:

What in God's name do you think Prozac, etc is for? Mood-affecting drugs are DESIGNED BY US to alter our brain chemistry so we don't freak out in crowds or commit suicide or whatever.

o_O so explain courage then, what sets the chemicals into motion.

Courage is merely the absence of fear, actually. And fear is easily quelled by killing certain brain cells or drugs.

That's interesting but drugs can't influence preferance,

What in God's name do you think Prozac, etc is for? Mood-affecting drugs are DESIGNED BY US to alter our brain chemistry so we don't freak out in crowds or commit suicide or whatever.
It's more to prevent us from getting a chemical feedback. You know, you become anxious so you release chemicals that cause your body to tense which makes you more anxious and so on until you do something to release the anxiety (like kill yourself as your example).

logical and sience have provided nothing on the scale to determain how the universe is created, give it time, and maybe it will, I am not a fallower of a religion, but I am very spiritual, rooting back to the scientific evidence of the Placebo effect, I belive it will take a little more than observation, a corner stone to science, to truly understand these things. It requires both a method we dont have, technology we dont have, spirituality we dont have, and a mindset, we most CERTAINLY do not have.

Ganondorf said:
That's interesting but drugs can't influence preference,

Give it time ... it's coming.

Big Al said:
It's more to prevent us from getting a chemical feedback. You know, you become anxious so you release chemicals that cause your body to tense which makes you more anxious and so on until you do something to release the anxiety (like kill yourself as your example).
Still ... your brain runs on electrochemical signals that drugs can interact with. If emotions and mood were not attached to a physical presence, drugs wouldn't work.

You have to seperate thought from emotions. Emotions are largely based on the physical state of the brain and body. So drugs that change how the body handles a stimulus will change your mood towards it. Mood and emotions are more instinctive since they are what keep you alive. They're what tells you what is good for you and what will harm you.

However, thoughts are psychological in nature and they lead to the electrochemical reactions in the brain and body. The fact people can stop their hearts and change their body temperatures by thinking about it is proof that thought drives the process rather than thought being driven by the process. Though, our line of thinking can and usually is affected by how we feel. Following the "gut feeling" and all.

Good point big Al, we have to look at people that can and have exercised mental power over their chemical reactions and such. Like the people you mentioned, thoughts are different from emotions and I can buy that with no problems.

I exercise mental control over myself everytime I'm in the presence of a very dispicable person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom