• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Big Bug Battle!

Which Bug do you favor more?

• Butterfree

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Vivillon

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KarlG

Reaction score
So I aspire and aim to be a Bug Pokemon Master, as Bug Pokemon are my favorite type (and only type I love), with my main teams in all gens so far being monotype Bugs, with the occasional other Pokemon thrown in for coverage.

So as you know, the Bug Pokemon kingdom is varied and multifaceted, and I have decided to make a poll each week or couple of weeks for Pokemon trainers, breeders and fans to discuss which of two similar Bugs you prefer!

The choices this week are...

BUTTERFREE [Gen I]

vs

VIVILLON [Gen VI]

Two beautiful butterfly Pokemon separated by 5 generations, each generation a bookmark of groundbreaking gaming and innovation. Both butterfly Pokemon evolve from a little smidgeon into a cocoon and then into the wonderful final stage that they are.

Butterfree

Butterfree's base stats are

HP: 60
Attack: 45
Defense: 50
Sp.Atk: 90
Sp.Def: 80
Speed: 70
Total 395

This Butterfree is a staple, a classic in the old days of RBY. Using it to get past Brock and Misty were part and parcel of every game in the old days. And who can forget Ash's Butterfree? Also how could you capture a legendary Pokemon without the aid of this guy's Sleep Powder?Butterfree's coverage is expansive, and a typical competitive moveset would include Bug Buzz, Quiver Dance and Psychic.

Vivillon

Vivillon's base stats are

HP: 80
Attack: 52
Defense: 50
Sp.Atk: 90
Sp.Def: 50
Speed: 89
Total 411

A paper Pokemon and glass cannon if ever there was one, but what differentiates it from Butterfree is its additional Speed. Even though they share the same Sp Atk, and Butterfree has the higher Sp Def, the speed Vivillon has gives it an advantage in terms of offensive capabilities. A typical competitive moveset includes Quiver Dance, Sleep Powder, and Hurricane.

I have fond memories of my Butterfree from RBY, but when it comes right down to battling, Vivillon is in so many ways better than Butterfree. Sometimes nostalgia wins over and I open up my FRLG emulator just to use that old Butterfree once again, but then I am reminded of the superior 18 forms Vivillon has and I think... wow, Vivillon just beats Butterfree eh?

That's my opinion. Which Bug is Better for you?

Butterfree by far. Call me a genwunner but I have way too many memories with this pokemon.

Its been my bro in two seperate nuzlockes, helped me through FR and Y, and I am currently shiny hunting for a caterpie on Y to top it off!

I love my Viviilon.

It was with me at the beginning of my x version unintentionally, but along the way I found it to be even stronger in certain situations. Not only can it learn Hurricane, but Draining Kiss is very good in the early part of your adventure, and Psybeam can save you from some poison types. I still carry with me, even though it doesn't have good Ivs.

I nicknamed my Vivion!

I just love Vivillion's design. I haven't used one in battle, but it seems so cute especially when compared to other bugs.

O_O You remind me of myself.
Anyway, I vote Vivillon because I have one on my current team and it's really good. But the different forms are really what makes it cool ^3^

Question: how do i change a poll every week? Or is the poll here stuck in its current incarnation and can't be changed?

Question: how do i change a poll every week? Or is the poll here stuck in its current incarnation and can't be changed?

The poll cannot be changed by ordinary users or regular moderators. You have to consult a Super Mod or higher to do that (to provide a hint, those who have huge bold names, and those with huge bold + italic names). Just a suggestion if you attempt to update the thread like this: change the title so that everyone knows it's updated.

Thanks for reading.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom