• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Manga The big manga thread

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I think manga deserves more love because it isn't nearly talked about as much as anime (personally, in some regards, I like reading manga even more than watching anime), so that's why I decided to create this thread. Post here about anything manga-related: what your favourite manga is, what you're reading currently, what you're planning to read, etc.

My favorite manga are Vinland Saga, Chainsaw Man and Monster. These are three manga I had an absolute blast reading for one reason or another. I have other (ongoing) favorites as well, such as Tokyo Revengers, Blue Lock, and recently Komi Can't Communicate.

As for what I'm reading currently: I just caught up with Jujutsu Kaisen a couple of days ago and I'm in the process of catching up with One Punch Man. And after that I'm planning to read Mob Psycho 100.

Cool! I have plenty of favorites, many of which are often overlooked. But my favorite manga of all time is With The Light: Raising an Autistic Child. It's about a mother raising her autistic son in a society that isn't very accommodating towards autistic people, but it has plenty of humor, heart, and sincerity. Some of my other favorites are +Anima, Pokemon Adventures, Natsume Yuujinchou, Witch Hat Atelier, Yona of the Dawn, Snow White with the Red Hair, The Girl From The Other Side, the Udon-sponsored Les Miserables manga, an Anne of Green Gables manga from the 90s, and Ouran High School Host Club.

I read part of the PokéSpe manga a month ago for MikuNagi content :ROFLMAO: I also read the manga adaptations of Maximum Ride and classic literature. They were pretty cool. I remember reading some of Mark Crilley's stuff, Death Note, and Danganronpa way back in middle school.

I'm reading like seven different manga right now lol, I'm a bit slower in reading them nowadays partially cause of life and partially to catch up with/watch other anime.

Anyway, the ones I'm reading right now are:
Disney Twisted-Wonderland Anthology
Fire Force
(currently the only one on my reading list that I buy physical and go by English release)
Kuroko's Basketball (I did read this while watching the anime years back but never finished in favor of the adaptation, decided to get back to it; I distinctly remember a few characters personalities being changed slightly in the adaptation, so I'm seeing the differences again in the manga)
MASHLE: Magic and Muscles
Neru: Way of the Martial Artist
(I feel like this one might be axed though; hopefully I'm wrong)
The Hunter's Guild: Red Hood (this one also feels like it might be axed, the pacing before wasn't the best but it's going so fast now, and info that sounds like it should be end game already being brought up, etc.)
SPY x FAMILY (really cute and wholesome from what I've read so far)

As for what I might read next, I'm thinking of Blue Lock (it's also getting a anime adaptation, so excited for it), Haikyuu, AGRAVITY BOYS, Akaya Akashiya Ayakashino, Chainsaw Man, Choujin X, Dia Game, Doku Mushi, Second Life Ranker (it's manhwa, but still counts), and picking up Dr. Stone again from the beginning (since it looks to be close to it's last arc, or will be soon).

I'm pretty behind on reading manga, but fairly up to date with owning them.

A few include:
Platinum End is my most recent one, picked it up when I heard it was getting an anime and was made by the same people who did Death Note. Didn't want them all sold out when the anime finally came out (which it just did). I'm about halfway through it, need to get back onto that.
I'm slowly collecting all of Seraph of the End, got all of Black Butler up to release (vol 29), just need to find time to re-read it all.
Toilet Bound Hanako-kun is another one I'm a big fan of, a few volumes behind too.

Sometimes I find an anime I really like but it ends too early and makes me want to get the manga, especially when you find out the source material got ditched halfway through because it caught up.

Also! There was this one manga about a girl who goes to a school because this boy she met as a kid gave her a spoon from it. She's in a love triangle maybe, but I do remember that she cooks.
Is it Kitchen Princess? I remember the MC eating flan the boy gave to her as a child, and iirc that spoon encouraged her to go to a cooking school to find him. It's been a long while since I've read it, but your description sounds similar to it, and I think the love triangle was between two brothers

Is it Kitchen Princess? I remember the MC eating flan the boy gave to her as a child, and iirc that spoon encouraged her to go to a cooking school to find him. It's been a long while since I've read it, but your description sounds similar to it, and I think the love triangle was between two brothers
Yeah that’s what it was called!

Ordered volume 24 of Fire Force, I hope it comes quickly since I need my Fire Force itch scratched until vol.25 lol.

Also read a few more chapters of Spy x Family, and in chapter 13 this has to be my favorite page with Anya:
4444444444444444.jpg
Overall though I liked the last two chapters I've read since I'm finally introduced to Yor's younger brother Yuri, he's pretty badass. I'm just waiting for the day when he finds out Loid is "Twilight", the spy he's hunting down; he already hates Loid after first meeting him, so it'll be interesting seeing the inevitable confrontation (well second lol).

On another note, waiting for this weekend to see if The Hunter's Guild: Red Hood and Neru: Way of the Martial Artist will wrap up their final chapters. Shounen Jump's unofficial news twitter mentioned a possible axe for them, though I kind of already had a feeling since both were constantly doing poorly. At least it'll give me a chance to finally read Blue Lock in anticipation for it's anime adaptation.

Kitchen Princess
Wow, I wasn't expecting that blast from the past.

On another note, waiting for this weekend to see if The Hunter's Guild: Red Hood and Neru: Way of the Martial Artist will wrap up their final chapters. Shounen Jump's unofficial news twitter mentioned a possible axe for them, though I kind of already had a feeling since both were constantly doing poorly. At least it'll give me a chance to finally read Blue Lock in anticipation for it's anime adaptation.
I was enjoying Neru, so I'm a bit sad to see it go. Ah, well. WSJ giveth, WSJ taketh. I hope the next batch of new serialization will have something interesting for me.

My reading list is... extensive, to say the least, since I've been reading for a very long time. Among other things from here and there, I'm currently reading most of the current WSJ catalogue and whatever else goes up on MangaPlus. I've been thinking maybe I should look into the stuff from Harta catalogue, since I enjoy Delicious in Dungeon, Laika no Hoshi, and A Bride's Story (technically has moved magazine, but it was in Harta for quite a while so I'm counting it).

I was enjoying Neru, so I'm a bit sad to see it go. Ah, well. WSJ giveth, WSJ taketh. I hope the next batch of new serialization will have something interesting for me.
Between Red Hood and Neru, I did like the latter slightly more as well, more so for the art style and it being a sports manga if anything.

-----​

I decided to read more of MASHLE after waiting for more chapters to release, since before I was catching up quickly and I wanted to take my time with this one because it's just that good. And I just want to say, now I understand all the rabbit motifs Pixiv artists like to apply to Mash in quite a few shipping and stand-alone artworks.

Read up to chapter 45, still loving the way the author just makes Mash literally deadpan in both serious and funny situations. I'm also happy that more creampuff "situations" and Mash's deep love for them keep happening in serious moments, and no it will never get old:
Untitled.png

888888888.jpg

Also saw some more of another favorite character of mine, Lance. One reason he's my favorite, aside from how stupid strong he is with magic, is that he looks much like another beloved and favorite character of mine:
LanceC.jpg
Ell-HQ5-VWMAEE7-AR.jpg
They're both pretty serious and blunt, with their occasional mischievous moments (well a bit less with the former), but it sucks the author made Lance into a siscon (and there's another magic manga series I like that has a character like that, which is starting to get old and annoying tbh).

Might read some more chapters tomorrow night or Monday, things are picking up again after a bit of a breather and wholesome chapter.

Today I read the 24 chapters of Ousama Ranking (Ranking of Kings) that are translated as of now. It's a very charming manga with a loveable main character, although the artstyle is somewhat simple and crude. I have been really enjoying the anime so far so that's what made me want to check it out. I was surprised however that the anime deviates from the manga in storyline.

Sometime this week I want to start reading Oyasumi Punpun which has been on my to-read list for over half a year now :wynaut:
Over Thanksgiving break, I read all 37 (that are out now) chapters of Sasaki and Miyano, a BL manga. I had never read BL before then, but it was really easy to get into, definitely a great story with cute characters. I like Sasaki more than Miyano.
I knew this was getting an anime adaptation in the coming winter season and it piqued my interest as a slice-of-life fan, but I'll probably check out the manga too since 37 chapters is an easy read!

I still have quite a few manga I'm currently reading, but I'm thinking of re-reading Loveless (yes it's still on hiatus but whatever) and maybe starting a current running manga SUPER LOVERS. I mentioned this in the anime thread just now, but for the latter I might wait until I finish it's two seasons and maybe OVA before I get to reading it. Both of these series are a bit obscure since they're in the BL genre, and I haven't seen anyone else here mention the genre, but I do recommend reading Loveless for anyone not put off by it (and if you like catboys, you'll probably like this series).

Anyway, yesterday I kinda splurged online and ordered a few manga: mainly I pre-ordered volume 25 of Fire Force (which releases this month on the 21st), bought volume 30 of Black Butler, bought a Japanese print of Disney Twisted Wonderland Anthology Comic volume 1 (can't wait for it's anime to release, the mobile game is also fun so I do recommend for anyone interested in cute pretty boy Disney characters), and an art book of Tokyo Ghoul since I was skimming through my completed manga of the series.

And sometime tonight I need to catch up more on my re-read of Killing Stalking and Kuroko's Basketball, then I need to read more chapters of a few others; mostly Spy x Family and MASHLE.

So, which of the two do you recommend the most?
Loveless as I have not read SUPER LOVERS yet. If you like catboys (which are done in a somewhat interesting way), spell fights, and mystery I'd say try it out. Though it does go into dark topics, specifically abuse of different kinds and not just one, and the main pairing is known to put a lot of people off, but it's a really good series and just go into it like you would with any fictional media. It is on a hiatus though, so it only has 13 volumes currently.

Decided to start a new manhwa that I had on my planning list for a while called Trash of the Count's Family, it's in one of my favorite genres (isekai) and I need to read more manhwa's anyway after finishing my re-read of Killing Stalking (hopefully this one has some BL undertones as well, though there seems to be a debate on if it is or not), so this one is up my alley. It's about a reader that get's "reincarnated" as one of the characters of the novel he's reading; he's now Cale Henituse, a trashy drunkard that likes to break things and other people fear him while his family avoids him, and this character is supposed to die by the hands of the novel's MC; this "new" Cale however wants to avoid that and just be left alone and not get involved with the story, yet still gets involved somehow. I really like the MC as he still is a little bit of an ass, but genuinely doesn't want to frighten people and does soften up on them, so I have high expectations for this one.

Speaking of manhwa's, Solo Leveling just ended a few days ago. I'm thinking of picking this back up again, I put it on hold as at the time I had other manga/manhwa I was reading and couldn't keep up with it much. It's a good read though, so I'm thinking after I either finish reading The Royal Tutor or maybe next week to pick it up again, can't wait to see my boy Sung Jinwoo in action again. Another manhwa I have on hold I really need to get to again as well is Hardcore Leveling Warrior, but it's still running so I'll wait until it ends (when that happens I don't know lol, maybe soon).

Other than that, I just added another manhwa called The Lord's Coins Aren't Decreasing?! to my planning list, though it's on a hiatus right now it seems so that one will have to wait. I also have some Chinese manhua on my planning list that I need to get to, currently thinking of either The Return of the Superhero and Zongcai Shuo Wo Shi Zhu Duiyou.

Also, and this might be a long shot, is anyone here reading Orient? I've heard mixed things about it but it looks interesting, I have it on my planning list so I'll get to it at some point, but it'd be nice to hear actual thoughts from any readers here. It also has a anime adaptation that's airing very soon, I think either tomorrow or the day after, and I might get around to watching that too.

Back
Top Bottom