• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Black Empoleon's Namesake... [Stupid Theory Time!]

Garren

Onduru ruragittan disukaa
Reaction score
On Tubeline Bridge, there's a gang of bikers who pop up every Friday and challenge you to a battle. The interesting thing is that, depending on the first Pokemon in your party when you defeat them, they will change their name in honor of your strength.

And what is the original name of the group? The Black Empoleon. This is quite odd because, being that they appear before the Elite Four, no one uses an Empoleon, so it's a weird choice. Considering how they'll change their name when you defeat them, it goes to reason that in the past someone with an Empoleon defeated them hence their group, when you first meet them, being named after a Pokemon foreign to the region.

Tubeline Bridge is rather close to the Elite Four, so it can be assumed that a strong trainer who passed through there and defeated the Blacks was likely headed towards the Elite Four.

Now, there is a certain character in Gen IV who utilizes an Empoleon in every battle, and his design can be said to even echo Empoleon to an extent, and that character is Darach, who Gamefreak in a recent Nintendo Dream Interview mentioned was closer to Caitlin then it would seem.

Thus, basically, I think that Darach has recently passed through Tubeline Bridge on his way to see Caitlin and defeated the Black Biker Gang (who probably had a different name prior) with his Empoleon, causing them to change to the "Black Empoleon" prior to the player coming across them.

So...thoughts? :p

Wow. This is really good. I had always wondered what happened to Darach when Caitlin returned to Unova to become and Elite Four. I hope they also expand on her story later on. Either in the Third version, like in dialog, or through the Word of God.

This also makes me wonder what the Black's name was before Empoleon, but I guess that doesn't matter here.

Probably whatever their own strongest pokemon is. It's been a long time, so I don't remember.

Yep, that makes a lot of sense. Don't see why it doesn't work.

I was wondering why they were called the Black Empoleon when their leader didn't have that Pokémon, so I guess it would make sense considering Darach is the only canonical character we know of that has an Empoleon, is powerful enough to beat them, and has a reason to be in Unova.

Now, another question I have is: Where did Darach go after taking down the leader? Also, what exactly was he in Unova for? Just for Caitlin, or something else?

Now, another question I have is: Where did Darach go after taking down the leader? Also, what exactly was he in Unova for? Just for Caitlin, or something else?
Interview mentioned Caitlin, and past dialog along with Caitlin's current dialog suggests he was a mentor of some sort toward her. He's probably still looking after her just in case her powers go out of control.

Interview mentioned Caitlin, and past dialog along with Caitlin's current dialog suggests he was a mentor of some sort toward her. He's probably still looking after her just in case her powers go out of control.

I see. This makes me wonder if he'll get a cameo in the Third One.

D8 Hey, that does make some sense there! Darach, and his punk Empoleon, can't think of anyone else. Though this does beg th question as to why Darach would accept the challenge of random thugs. D: Did they insult his lady or what?

D8 Hey, that does make some sense there! Darach, and his punk Empoleon, can't think of anyone else. Though this does beg th question as to why Darach would accept the challenge of random thugs. D: Did they insult his lady or what?
Have you never walked past that bridge on a Friday night?

Put it simply, they got in his way and didn't move. There really isn't much of a mystery as to how he got into a battle with a bunch of biker thugs picking a fight with anyone crossing their bridge and not letting you pass unless you beat them.

Have you never walked past that bridge on a Friday night?

Put it simply, they got in his way and didn't move. There really isn't much of a mystery as to how he got into a battle with a bunch of biker thugs picking a fight with anyone crossing their bridge and not letting you pass unless you beat them.

i've tried many a Friday Friday Friday...(omg no x_x) and have had no luck coming across this "biker gang". Its really getting me mad cuz i want to change their name >:O

but anyway, this actually, like everyone else said, makes a lot of sense. i accept it and so shall it be til someone else comes to bash it and make a new theory of equal or greater sense. :mallet:

Interesting theory. I never thought of it before, but it does make sense.

Hm, never heard of this theory (or this gang) before. I'll try to remember to battle these guys tonight.

Wow. This is really good. I had always wondered what happened to Darach when Caitlin returned to Unova to become and Elite Four. I hope they also expand on her story later on. Either in the Third version, like in dialog, or through the Word of God.
I think Word of God mentioned in an interview--though this might be his own conjecture and not absolute truth--that Darach "isn't too far away from Caitlin."

That could mean that Caitlin could be one of the antagonists in the next game because she can't control her powers, so you need Darach's help :D

Great theory.

Nice theory. I wouldn't be suprised if Darach shows up in Grey.

The funny thing is I beat them with my shiny charizard so I laugh at Black Charizard :)

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom