• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Box Legendaries Discussion/Speculation

blitzle stan

Reaction score
We have until May or June to discuss what they’ll be, based on past trends. I wanted to share my working theory and see what everyone else thinks up! Let me know what you think.

So while the region is based in the entire Iberian Peninsula, I saw that the Spanish coat of arms had a castle tower and a dragon. Gears started spinning in my head, and the legends are never based on just one thing from just one place anyway!

We also know that Scarlet is tied to oranges with the orange crest on the player sleeve, and Violet tied to grapes.

Scarlet legendary: a castle tower mixed with a huge orange tree and a world turtle, with scarlet orbs like oranges in the branches. The world turtle influence is to give it a beast vibe and not JUST a castle tower surrounding a tall tree. Not much of it would be turtle-like since we just got Enamorus. Think tall tree with walls on all sides, atop a four-legged beast. Slow and defensive, in line with the vibe of “tradition” that many are thinking. Grass/Steel?

Violet legendary: a Chinese-style dragon mixed with a grapevine. Chinese-style dragons are sometimes seen holding pearls, and these would be violet orbs, either in its claws or many around its claws (like Qinglongmon in Digimon). The dragon would be slender like a vine, and fast. The opposite of the Scarlet design in many ways, and in line with “modernity” like many think Violet will be. Grass/Dragon?

Last edited:
I agree with the theming being partially tradition vs modernity. I kinda want to take it a step further and say oranges and grapes represent rarity and abundance respectively. Since oranges required specific geographic conditions to be made and was rarer in Europe before Spain began growing them, it makes sense that it contrasts grapes, a fruit commonly associated with abundance and referenced throughout the continent in various myths.

I think both legendaries being Grass makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking Scarlet's legendary being Grass/Dragon (based on the scale pattern of the lettering) and Violets might be Grass/Psychic (also based on its lettering). One could represent the sun while the other represents the stars. I think the rarity of our sun creating the conditions for life juxtaposed to the utility that stars regularly provided for maritime history will be a point of contention for the two schools that people are theorizing our MC's being put in the middle of. Maybe too soon and too close to the Diamond and Pearl clans' gimmick, but I think some creativity can help distinguish the two stories.

Also yeah, ANOTHER sun-based title legendary would be redundant. That's why I feel like the SV legendaries will only partially reference their astral representations, and more so represent their symbolisms like Reshiram and Zekrom. Perhaps the Scarlet legendary is said to only appear to bless crops annually, while Violet's appears every night the sky is clear to help lost ships reach land, thus both being tied to the region's prosperity.

Oh that’sa very interesting way it could go. My idea was more “two beings in charge of the same idea of thing (harvest)” but encompassing different ideals (tradition vs innovation/modernization) while yours has them doing different things (harvest and navigation) and representing rarity vs abundance, right? Hmmmm.

I could definitely see both being possible. The Scarlet logo looking kind of scale-like and serpentine is a good point- I took it in a more “it’s like a steel wall” and it’s a “traditional” font direction, but really I did that because a grapevine dragon would just be hilarious and cool, and I hope they’re not both the same kind of beast like they were in SwSh.

So while the region is based in the entire Iberian Peninsula, I saw that the Spanish coat of arms had a castle tower and a dragon. Gears started spinning in my head, and the legends are never based on just one thing from just one place anyway!

The Spanish Coat of Arms is a composition of the kingdoms that during the late Middle Ages and early Modern Ages came to form modern Spain. The Castle represents the Kingdom of Castile (which is Castle in Castilian), the Lion represents the Kingdom of León, the shield below the lion was the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Navarre, while the shield below the castle was the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Aragon . The fruit at the bottom is a pomegranate, symbol of the Kingdom of Granada (which is pomegranate in Castilian). And, finally, the three fleur-de-lis in the center represents the royal house of Bourbon.

Honestly, I think Scarlet should refer to Pomegranate, not to Orange, because although the former is now a less common pommel, it was a more relevant fruit in European and Spanish history, even today Spain continues to be reference in the production of this fruit.

However, perhaps the grape, a fruit cultivated for a long time in Europe, and the Orange, a fruit only popular after the Renaissance and the great navigations, better encompass the paradox between tradition vs innovation/modernization.

Last edited:
Cannot think of a way they can incorporate fruit into the legendaries that wouldn’t look like garbage honestly

I've no idea what to speculate. Often times the legendries strike me as being very random in regards to the Region they represent.

As for the ideas already suggested, Kamen Rider Gaim already did the "Grape Dragon" thing but I'd be down to see it again.
OMG I cannot believe Kamen Rider did that… that’s hilarious. I love it, and I kinda feel like it takes the idea out of the absurd and into plausibility if that makes sense?

And yeah, the box legends usually have little to nothing to do with the real life region. But the castle and the dragon just clicked when I saw them on the flag.

And thinking now… castles and dragons are just generally common things in European lore. So they could do them as a pair independent of any flag (and honestly, I’m sure MANY flags have castles and dragons on them).

Here’s an idea: if we end up doing the whole school thing and the box legends are mascots of the school, then what if they only just got brought to life as a result of some sort of class science project regarding oranges/grapes gone wrong? I mean, we’ve been getting more and more involved with the box legends as the games have gone on, so is witnessing or having a part in said legend’s creation that happens to be your school’s mascot really that out there?

Here’s an idea: if we end up doing the whole school thing and the box legends are mascots of the school, then what if they only just got brought to life as a result of some sort of class science project regarding oranges/grapes gone wrong? I mean, we’ve been getting more and more involved with the box legends as the games have gone on, so is witnessing or having a part in said legend’s creation that happens to be your school’s mascot really that out there?
Yes?

I mean I don't think they'd go that far. Especially since Mewtwo, Genosect, and Type: Null were all made by actual scientists. A kid doing some surgery on a grape and making a Pokémon sounds too Farfetch'd.

“Doing surgery on a grape” Omgggg

Yeah I think at the very least, the legend of the legendary needs to already be established. We can be involved in the creation of a new one, just like Solgaleo/Lunala become that with our help.

Yes?

I mean I don't think they'd go that far. Especially since Mewtwo, Genosect, and Type: Null were all made by actual scientists. A kid doing some surgery on a grape and making a Pokémon sounds too Farfetch'd.
I was thinking more like some formula for Pokémon battle enhancements got spilt on both the grapevine/orange grove and the mascot logo nearby, causing some sort of resonance that brings the legend to life.

“Doing surgery on a grape” Omgggg

Yeah I think at the very least, the legend of the legendary needs to already be established. We can be involved in the creation of a new one, just like Solgaleo/Lunala become that with our help.
I’d be down for that, but do school mascots even have lore in Europe?

I was thinking more like some formula for Pokémon battle enhancements got spilt on both the grapevine/orange grove and the mascot logo nearby, causing some sort of resonance that brings the legend to life.
Still though, they're more likely to find an ancient Pokémon living under the vinyard/grove in some kind of Victini situation.

Maybe the fruits were planted originally as sustenance or offerings to the Pokémon, and over time the reason why the school grows their own grapes/oranges was lost. Now the pokemon is hungry and wants revenge for being forgotten.

EDIT: Behold: the legendaries:
c70497abed545d46447ddd77c9dd2614.jpg 1_0GDGd2k0DiJ-4UQWR8YaLQ.jpeg

Last edited:
I just remembered that real fruits do not exist in the Pokémon world. So are these going to be Oran and Grepa legendaries?

Except Oran berries are not orange huh…

Technically not true, the Sweet and Tart Apple's for Applin exist suggesting there are traditional fruits still.
Oh very true… maybe they introduced us to this concept with Applin so they could implement Orange and Grape items and not have it be QUITE as weird.

I always thought of things like fruit in the PokéWorld as being along the same lines of normal animals to where they do exist and get referenced every now and again but the story doesn't focus on them because the call to adventure involves meeting the fantastic and not the ordinary- you're becoming a Pokémon Master after all, not some generic animal tamer.

:unsure:

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom