• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Box Legendaries Discussion/Speculation

IMO, we have too many legendary Pokemon that are dragon type. Also, the third legendary Pokemon has always been a dragon type since gen 3 so I hope the 2 box cover legendary Pokemon aren't dragon type.

I'd like one of the legendary to a fire-type bull Pokemon and the other to be a sea creature. The third legendary can be a dragon type. Dragon bug perhaps?

Still though, they're more likely to find an ancient Pokémon living under the vinyard/grove in some kind of Victini situation.

Maybe the fruits were planted originally as sustenance or offerings to the Pokémon, and over time the reason why the school grows their own grapes/oranges was lost. Now the pokemon is hungry and wants revenge for being forgotten.
That seems a little too close to what we got with Legends: Arceus. Besides, the thing I’m trying to go for is to deconstruct the whole “Legenday Pokémon are gods” thing that current games seem to be going for.

If the box legends have to be pre-established entities worshiped like deities, (as in they actually existed a long time ago as more than just a story before the events of the game), then how about this:

What if the legendary is the subject of a tall tale with capabilities it doesn’t have, but it tries to live up to it’s legend anyways?

Perhaps we befriend it early and let it watch us do our thing, which it then takes inspiration from. Throughout the game, our legendary pal learns one of two lessons in regards to the expectations others have of it depending on the version:
  1. Scarlet’s legendary will learn to focus on what it’s good at and unlock potential that’s arguably more interesting than what its legends say about it.
  2. Violet’s legendary will learn that branching out and honing multiple skills is much more productive than trying to work on something that just isn’t working out for it, allowing it to be known as a Pokémon of many talents instead of one impossible legend.
Of course, because you’re the one who helped the legend get this far, you get the chance to catch it for yourself!

Not only would this be something new (Game Freak likes to surprise their audience), but I think these would be great lessons for their target audience to learn about high expectations that could be placed on them.

That seems a little too close to what we got with Legends: Arceus. Besides, the thing I’m trying to go for is to deconstruct the whole “Legenday Pokémon are gods” thing that current games seem to be going for.

If the box legends have to be pre-established entities worshiped like deities, (as in they actually existed a long time ago as more than just a story before the events of the game), then how about this:

What if the legendary is the subject of a tall tale with capabilities it doesn’t have, but it tries to live up to it’s legend anyways?

Perhaps we befriend it early and let it watch us do our thing, which it then takes inspiration from. Throughout the game, our legendary pal learns one of two lessons in regards to the expectations others have of it depending on the version:
  1. Scarlet’s legendary will learn to focus on what it’s good at and unlock potential that’s arguably more interesting than what its legends say about it.
  2. Violet’s legendary will learn that branching out and honing multiple skills is much more productive than trying to work on something that just isn’t working out for it, allowing it to be known as a Pokémon of many talents instead of one impossible legend.
Of course, because you’re the one who helped the legend get this far, you get the chance to catch it for yourself!

Not only would this be something new (Game Freak likes to surprise their audience), but I think these would be great lessons for their target audience to learn about high expectations that could be placed on them.
The box legendaries have always been considered gods or deities. It's not really a current thing that has just cropped up, it's been going on since Gen 2 with Ho-oh and Lugia.

Either way, I don't think building a school around diffrent Pokémon and growing stuff as offerings is inherently the same as worshiping them as a god. It would be the same as if, for example, a school has a pig as a mascot and took care of it. Until one day they stopped and this immortal pig with strange powers started growing jaded and resentful to humans and started causing problems for the school.

I don't think they'd go as far as taking a major legendary and having you rase/befriend it since the beginning. Maybe another minor legendary like another Cubfu type situation or something, but not something as big as the box legendaries.

Since this idea hasn't been brought up yet, I think the names Scarlet and Violet will be an indicator of what these legendaries will look like. Every main series games since Gold and Silver has had the title represent either the general design or colour scheme of the box legendaries.

For example, Gold and Silver reference Ho-oh and Lugia's colour scheme. Ruby and Sapphire are another example. X and Y are basically the shape (design) of Xerneas and Yveltal. Sword and Shield really emphasize this point since the names represent the weapons that Zacian and Zamazenta use while the colour of the logos represent their colour scheme.

In other words, one legendary will have a red (Scarlet) colour scheme while the other will have a purple (Violet) colour scheme. I know this may have been obvious to a lot of you but this was the first thing I thought about when thinking of the names of these games.

Another idea I've been thinking about for a while is that the box legendary would only be captured after defeating the champion and reaching the credits. Just like Sword/Shield, the box legendary would still be involved in the story in some way but once that's completed they leave and you'll have to look for them afterwards. The only difference is that you aren't able to catch any legendary pokemon before reaching the credits. I realize that part is unlikely but if this game does "go back to the basics" in terms of story structure and pacing then that would be a neat idea in my opinion.

I'm hoping that since we returned to naming the games after colors, theres more room to choose for the Legendaries. Like, with Sun/Moon, the legendary had to be based off of that. Also, I'm thinking a fire Legendary and Poison Legendary, based on the colors. ALSO, this might be a dumb theory, but could the legendaries have something to do with Ultra Violet and Infra Red?

I'm hoping that since we returned to naming the games after colors, theres more room to choose for the Legendaries. Like, with Sun/Moon, the legendary had to be based off of that. Also, I'm thinking a fire Legendary and Poison Legendary, based on the colors. ALSO, this might be a dumb theory, but could the legendaries have something to do with Ultra Violet and Infra Red?
Not a dumb theory at all! Many (including me) think that the choice of colors and other things shown during the trailer and in the logos strongly allude to a color spectrum theme in the games, which would I suppose would likely mean the legends would also have that.

Maybe they have a twilight theme going on? Like Dawn/Day (Scarlet) or Dusk/Night (Violet). After all, we already had sun, moon, sea, earth and sky themed Legendaries, so concepts such as Daytime/Dawn and Night/Dusk could work. That and Violet's title design seems to invoke a night sky theme, whereas Scarlet's color look to be aiming at a rising dawn theme.

Dawn/Day Legendary = combination of Fire, Psychic and/or Fairy type
photo-1582971103098-bfc707d2ad92
3947936-pokemonscarlet.png

Dusk/Night Legendary = combination of Ice, Dark and/or Ghost type
AtHome-NightSky-1080x810-1.jpg
3947935-pokemonviolet.png

Last edited:
You know... considering the real life nation that they're using for this region, a lot of me would be impressed if the mascot pair took some inspirations from the Crowns of Castile and Aragon. That is, the two Iberian kingdoms whose joining under personal union would eventually come to form Spain. Galar's duo shows that they could totally draw ideas from the donor country's own history or legends for version mascot concepts.

I made this thread to talk about the possible legendaries for SV,What would you like? And better question what what would you like them to be or what do you think they will be?

Every time someone brings up oranges and grapes in reference to the games, I want the legendaries to be a bug that rolls up into a giant orange ball and just a sentient pod of grapes on a vine.

Don't ask me why I feel this way you're guess is as good as mine. I think my brain likes the chaotic energy.
Maybe they have a twilight theme going on? Like Dawn/Day (Scarlet) or Dusk/Night (Violet). After all, we already had sun, moon, sea, earth and sky themed Legendaries, so concepts such as Daytime/Dawn and Night/Dusk could work. That and Violet's title design seems to invoke a night sky theme, whereas Scarlet's color look to be aiming at a rising dawn theme.

Dawn/Day Legendary = combination of Fire, Psychic and/or Fairy type
photo-1582971103098-bfc707d2ad92
3947936-pokemonscarlet.png

Dusk/Night Legendary = combination of Ice, Dark and/or Ghost type
AtHome-NightSky-1080x810-1.jpg
3947935-pokemonviolet.png
Aw man if that turned out to be real that'd be awesome because I love ice dark AND ghost types. Throw in the option for poison and I can't not love it.

Also man please yes for night time theme. The moon is my favorite. I also just like crescent moon shapes. Yes. ...YES.

Every time someone brings up oranges and grapes in reference to the games, I want the legendaries to be a bug that rolls up into a giant orange ball and just a sentient pod of grapes on a vine.

Don't ask me why I feel this way you're guess is as good as mine. I think my brain likes the chaotic energy.

Aw man if that turned out to be real that'd be awesome because I love ice dark AND ghost types. Throw in the option for poison and I can't not love it.

Also man please yes for night time theme. The moon is my favorite. I also just like crescent moon shapes. Yes. ...YES.
We already had Lunala for a moon box legend, so I don't think we're getting another.

We already had Lunala for a moon box legend, so I don't think we're getting another.
We had one, yes, but what about a second moon box legend? :3

Joke aside, I adore Lunala but I'd absolutely be on board for a night sky themed legendary. (Unless its design doesn't deliver, which, considering some of the speculation, isn't that unlikely.)

We can always use more moon mons. I still need three more to fill a full team of straight up moon-mons.

Lunatone, Cressilia, and Lunala need friendsssss (no the ursas don't count nothing besides the markings on them screams moon in any way and even then only teddiursa and ursaluna have moon symbols Ursaring has a ring. Like from sonic the hedgehog. :p)

We can always use more moon mons. I still need three more to fill a full team of straight up moon-mons.

Lunatone, Cressilia, and Lunala need friendsssss (no the ursas don't count nothing besides the markings on them screams moon in any way and even then only teddiursa and ursaluna have moon symbols Ursaring has a ring. Like from sonic the hedgehog. :p)
You fogot Umbweon

To make my idea/speculation clear regarding the legendaries for Scarlet and Violet, I'm aiming at the concept of Night/Dusk and Dawn/Day. Not a Sun or Moon legend.

Just like how Greek Mythology had a Sun and Moon God, they also had gods for Dusk, Night, Dawn and Day. Lunala and Solgaleo were emissaries of the Sun and Moon respectively, not Night or Day. To make even more interesting, this concept could represent a passage of time, as in the transitional period between Night and Day (or Dawn or Dusk)

In fact: Looking up the trailer, a clock is shown spinning wildly, so this could even aim more to the Dawn/Day, and Night/Dusk theme.

Last edited:
Nothing about umbreon screams moons either. Just cuz he evolve at night don't make him a moon mon He aint got any moons on him! JUST MORE RINGS.
That's always bothered me. It's called the "moon" pokemon but it has more to do with nighttime and darkness than it does with the moon.

Even worse is Espeon. Nothing to do with the sun, and if it didn't evolve during the day it wouldn't have any special connection to daytime either.

Guiding for the khu theories,(He said that legendaries are rideable) and the Scarlet shield had a Wheel form maybe a ancient Chariot creature for Scarlet Dragon/Fighting and a modern creature like a car/Robot for violet ( because the typography are more modern) Electric/Steel.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom