• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Breeding of Pokémon

Chargreymonizard

The Digital Pokemon
Reaction score
I happened to realize something while I was working on rebuilding my Pokémon collection from Diamond in Platinum by way of breeding. How, in any way shape or form, would an old married couple not have any idea how Pokémon eggs appear? The answer, I realized was very simple: isn't the main character supposed to be something like ten years old? The Daycare couple simply think it best not to inform one so young as to the mechanics of reproduction, as it were. (Though some of those mechanics ought to be mind boggling, HSOWA, anyone?) I start this thread not knowing if there is/were others of it's ilk, and wanting to know your opinion on this matter: are the Daycare couple really that dumb, or are they shielding your character's innocence?

You know, that would make sense, but it's been mentioned in GSC, I think, that it's still a mystery how eggs are created.

...Or, you could be right, and it's GF indirectly shielding your childish innoence through the old couple.

Actually, that sounds plausible. I mean, little kids probably just think that the two pokemon wanted to be a mommy and daddy, just like regular people. It probably prevents kids from asking too many questions about it.

Wow i kind of feel sort of stupid. i never did think of that. To be honest i thought they were senile.

I think that old couple needs some glasses and that people in the pokemon world really should know how this works.

I always just thought they were just protecting your character's innocence.

Personally, I'd think someone whose life is devoted to Pokémon, young or not, probably has earned the right to know how Pokémon really reproduce.

You know, I was just wondering about this exact question today. There's absolutely no way that the old couple wouldn't at least entertain the possibility that the egg which appeared and subsequently found itself in the possession of your pokemon actually came from the pokemon... I mean, they must know how human reproduction works, so why assume that a pokemon egg gets there through any other method? It's meant to be a mystery, but it just CAN'T be. If humanity has the knowledge to create technology to store a living organism on a PC, I think it can work out where pokebabies come from.

I also realised today that pokemon breeding has some very sinister undertones. For example, I have a Ditto which lives in the daycare centre and exists for the sole reason of reproduction. Basically, that Ditto is being repeatedly mated with for my own ends. I'm sending wave after wave of pokemon in there to hit it and quit it, giving said Ditto little choice in its mating habits. The daycare centre is wrong on so many levels. :p

they might just be expressing disbelief that two mammal-type pokemon produced an egg...

I think the idea is there, but when you have the Wailord and Skitty thing going on, disbelief takes over.

It's easy really.
A stork pokemon flies over the breeding center to see what pokemon can make eggs, then goes back to its island and makes said egg, before going back, hypnotizing the breeding couple, and placing the egg with the pokemon, who in return give it food.

I think the idea is there, but when you have the Wailord and Skitty thing going on, disbelief takes over.

I belive. Genetics work like Mech accesory packs. The Mon is the same as the mother, altered by the male's stuff. Aser eggs, maybe the eggs grow outside the mon anyway.

If you realy wanna suspend, MINDF***ING WAILORD ON SEEDOT ACTION!!!

They could be in denial...
after seeing some hot Skitty on Wailord action, they might try to block it out of their mind as a traumatic event.
Thus the "WTH EGG!"

I always just thought they were just protecting your character's innocence.

Personally, I'd think someone whose life is devoted to Pokémon, young or not, probably has earned the right to know how Pokémon really reproduce.

No, because most of the time, you get your pokemon to breed with a ditto. I think of the ditto as basically raping your pokemon because the old man tells me "yeah, your arbok and ditto don't really get along..." and then a few minutes later "Oh look what we have here, an egg! We don't know how your pokemon had it or anything..." Poor Arbok....

Man, I knew my mass experience with terrible animal husbandry would start when I transferred my ditto, but I didn't know I would feel so bad about my poor Pokemon being raped by a pink blob XD.

Well if you want to be technical about it, two Pokémon being of the same species raises their "friendliness" ones step, so if Ditto transforms into the opposite gender of the other Pokémon, then for at least that period of time, they get along better and then do it then. :p

I like this idea. Old couples are like that.

Day Care couple: Now don't forget to leave the milk and cookies out for Santa.

14 year old trainer: ...

Personally, the idea of pokemon birth seems more appropriate. Maybe they DO know what their fandom does... But couldn't they somehow have made mammal pokemon give birth, and flying types lay eggs? Until they make a platypus. xD

Surprisingly, I actually think that would raise MORE questions than having all pokemon laying eggs does...

For example, if an Arbok and a Diglett bred, what form would the young come in? Would it depend on the species of the mother and therefore the young?

I don't think Arbok and Diglett can breed normally. And if my theory were canon, they wouldn't, because snakes lay eggs and moles give birth. It's like trying to breed a snake and mole in real life.

I don't think Arbok and Diglett can breed normally. And if my theory were canon, they wouldn't, because snakes lay eggs and moles give birth. It's like trying to breed a snake and mole in real life.

doth thu be of ground gruop of breeding?

I did and I call the crosss-breed chulithuania.

I doubt it. They can tell the kid the egg came from their pokemon without telling them all the details. I don't know what their problem is.

If you realy wanna suspend, MINDF***ING WAILORD ON SEEDOT ACTION!!!

What about "MINDF***ING WAILORD ON DIGLETT ACTION!!!"?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom