• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP33: The Brockster Is In!

And risk the Pokemon even further. They already didn't have enough supplies if Infernape for example (though I'm not sure why Ash would use it against Tentacruel) then someone would've died. I don't see why risking more Pokemon's lives just so some "moron" yes I'm calling James a moron for this obsession is more important than life ideology he had, just so he can get his material gain which was likely the least important thing in this whole situation.

It's like someone says "You shouldn't die for material objects" If a thief wants it and has a gun to your head. Why would it make any sense to die for it just because it's your "precious." Sure I'd be miffed and upset, but I sure as hell ain't going to die for the inanimate object.

Come on, many of you are acting as if the Pokemon would have DIED if Brock hadn't thrown that bottle cap overboard.
They would NOT have died and we all know that. Of course, we know that Pokemon don't die and if Brock hadn't had any medicine, the worst possible scenario would have been that the baby Pokemon would have had to suffer a little bit longer. Why so many think that somebody would have died sure is beyond me...

And btw. if Ash can beat two legendary Pokemon of Tobias, but can't stand his ground against a few standard Tentacruel without getting poisoned, there must be something wrong with him.

Let's face it: No matter how you look at it, that part with the Tentacruel and the bottle cap was just inconsistent and badly written. If they wanted a reason for Brock to rethink his goal in life, they could have done it better.

PDL said:
Once again Queen Cynthia, you really need to get your priorities straight.
oh, that's funny. If I remember correctly, review threads are usually crammed with tedious talk about how much BGM was kept, who voiced whom and how much better the Japanese version was. So, here I am trying to talk about the actual plot and not about the same old weekly questions, and you're telling me to get my priorities straight. You know, Pokemon is more than just BGM, VAs and comparisons to Japanese RAWs....

Come on, many of you are acting as if the Pokemon would have DIED if Brock hadn't thrown that bottle cap overboard.
They would NOT have died and we all know that. Of course, we know that Pokemon don't die and if Brock hadn't had any medicine, the worst possible scenario would have been that the baby Pokemon would have had to suffer a little bit longer. Why so many think that somebody would have died sure is beyond me...

The only reason they wouldn't have died is because Pokemon has the "Nobody dies" Principle. (Aside from J and certain movie characters, of course.) We don't know for sure how badly they were poisoned. If that principle were not in place, they might have.

oh, that's funny. If I remember correctly, review threads are usually crammed with tedious talk about how much BGM was kept, who voiced whom and how much better the Japanese version was. So, here I am trying to talk about the actual plot and not about the same old weekly questions, and you're telling me to get my priorities straight. You know, Pokemon is more than just BGM, VAs and comparisons to Japanese RAWs....

Quoted for truth. Just saying. Yes, I know I've taken part in some of those discussions, but Still...I Just want to enjoy the show, not nitpick at everything..and it's really hard when the entire thread goes that way.I mean, in the DP 186 thread, I said that I needed to stay out of the discussion threads, because all the whining over the music ruined my viewing experience.

That's all well and dandy but you know Pokemon is ALSO more than battling too? Pokemon has a little bit of everything that everyone can enjoy. Pokemon isn't just some show about battling and fighting.

I think its interesting that Brock gets the second to last ep of DP. I realize most of DP191 IS about Dawn, but it feels odd to see Brock get the penultimate episode over Dawn.

I guess being on the anime for 13 years will do that for you.

Although given they get specials afterward, it does kinda make this ep seem less special. Its not exactly Brock's final ep anymore.

gotpika said:
Lava Cookie? Looked more like a Ricecracker.

In the Japanese versions of the games, those items are called "Fuen Rice Crackers." NOA changed them to "Lavaridge Cookies," so the dub was forced to follow suit.

Queen Cynthia said:
So, here I am trying to talk about the actual plot and not about the same old weekly questions, and you're telling me to get my priorities straight.

They were talking about priorities when it comes to the value of inanimate objects vs. living beings. No one's telling you that you only have to talk about music or compare the dub to the Japanese version.

And if you want to talk about something, how about the fact that Team Rocket's submarine crashed into the ferry, at full speed, and yet the ferry didn't seem to sustain any damage at all.

Wait, are you accusing me of something I actually NEVER do? That's rich. I'm actually one of the few people here who doesn't complain about those things. So stop pulling bullshit from nowhere.

No, as Dogasu mentioned, it's the whole "Bottlecap vs. Baby Pokémon's life" arguement you're trying to make.

And if you want to talk about something, how about the fact that Team Rocket's submarine crashed into the ferry, at full speed, and yet the ferry didn't seem to sustain any damage at all.

Considering that this is Team Rocket's Magikarp sub, it's assumed that it has about as much durability as the Meowth Balloon. (aka, none whatsoever).

Quoted for truth. Just saying. Yes, I know I've taken part in some of those discussions, but Still...I Just want to enjoy the show, not nitpick at everything..and it's really hard when the entire thread goes that way.I mean, in the DP 186 thread, I said that I needed to stay out of the discussion threads, because all the whining over the music ruined my viewing experience.

I agree. Most of the time, it seems like these review threads are just places for people to complain/list what the dub did do/didn't do. Strangely enough, in my experience, it only seems to be here..

I've been trying to ignore the review threads here myself recently. I figure it'll be better for my health. XD Nobody's forcing me to read through, so why bother?

Anyone realize this is the last time we'll ever see TR's Magikarp sub?

That thing has been around since the Orange Islands for goodness sakes.

Well...the thing is, people...the majority of the users on these forums have already seen the Japanese version, and they've said most of what they needed to say in the original thread. So, it's either an opportunity to comment on the changes...or a reiteration of their previous thoughts.

So, apologies for not being "dub-friendly" ^^;

Although given they get specials afterward, it does kinda make this ep seem less special. Its not exactly Brock's final ep anymore.

This is partially the reason why I don't want to have a Paul special. I don't want to tarnish his "ending." However, I think it's fairly appropriate for Brock since his goal can be expanded on a bit more (considering it's a fairly new concept...for a main character, at least). I dunno, to me, Brock never seemed like a character to "go away forever." Maybe he'll be like Tracey and be semi-reoccurring ^^ (which I wouldn't mind)

Well...the thing is, people...the majority of the users on these forums have already seen the Japanese version, and they've said most of what they needed to say in the original thread. So, it's either an opportunity to comment on the changes...or a reiteration of their previous thoughts.

So, apologies for not being "dub-friendly" ^^;

Sure, but don't most people not understand anything when they saw the original? They are finally seeing it in a language they understand and it doesn't make a difference?

Sure, but don't most people not understand anything when they saw the original? They are finally seeing it in a language they understand and it doesn't make a difference?

It's not exactly a complicated show to follow. With plot summaries you can pretty much follow an entire episode.

It's not exactly a complicated show to follow. With plot summaries you can pretty much follow an entire episode.

I mean the details. Of course you would get a general gist of what everyone is talking about but the details would just pass right by you. Like for the Paul battle. Ash and Paul had a lot of in-battle dialogue which was pretty important. Something that plot summaries doesn't quite cover.

It does make a difference (Which is why I often watch both).

The problem is that the dub and the original are greatly separated by time...which is kinda bad if you really want to keep up with the latest. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but for someone impatient like me and keeps up with fanart/amvs/fanfics etc, it's more beneficial to check out the original episodes and at least try to get a gist of what's happening.

And with that, we are off topic! Back to discussing the episode!

This episode seemed like boring filler. I don't see why it was necesary, why not just have Brock go off not knowing what he wants, then in his little special episode in BW, show him as having decided to become a Pokemon Doctor, with Happiny evolved into Chansey offscreen and stuff like that. Brock was most boring character in Pokemon, moreso than Tracey, he doesn't need 2 episodes dedicated to him. We will cope fine without Brock. What I will miss is the female companion, Iris looks like a dude, and looks buffer than Ash.

Also Dawn should get more time, more specials dedicated to her. I hope she goes to Johto to compete in Contests there, although I doubt it from the screenshots as there's a boy with a Chimchar in one so I doubt its Johto.

That's a bit biased of you isn't it Riku? Brock deserved this episode probably more than anybody else. Even over a league battle as Ash has only been in Sinnoh for 4 years compared to Brock's 13 years on the show.

Brock has been in the background for 13 years. He's already been replaced once by Tracey and no one missed him. Brock should have gone LONG ago. Then again I'm not happy with him being replaced by an almost identical character.

Plus I swear Iris is a man, no girl should be like that, I know we are living in a modern and open society, but did Pokemon really need to decide, lets have the first Lesbian female companion. She looks like one of these female bodybuilders, or a cave woman. Why can't we have girls like Dawn, why couldnt the main girl from the games take over, at least you can tell shes a girl.

These last 2 episodes probably mark the demise of Pokemon. They did so well with Sinnoh, (would have been better in Lucas replaced Brock) now from what ive seen of Jap BW, it looks terrible. This episode was boring filler, should have ended it with something to do with Dawn and Ash. You know, the actual main characters of this series. Heck Dawn got robbed, she should be entitled to stick around for a Johto Battle Frontier Arc, but no, we have to rush it through with BW.

Actually, some people DID miss him. Which is possibly why he came back after orange islands. Say what you will about Brock throughout the show, I agree the writers handled him terribly, but even after 13 years he deserved better than that.

& about Iris, she's a 10 year old girl. You can't expect all 10 year old girls to wear 3 inch skirts and act all ~girly~. I don't think leggings automatically labels her as a man or 'lesbian'. lol.

I saw this episode yesterday, and first off...Brock's always had a voice that made it sound like he smoked, but in this episode? You have to wonder how Brock manages to have a sneaky cigarette without anyone noticing xD

I felt that this episode didn't focus on Brock as much as I wanted it to; it did seem like a filler.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom