• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat, Vol. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have a few years before I need to worry about all of the college stuff as i'm only 13

Eh, everybody has different views. I'm aiming for either a Biomedical Engineer or a Physician.

I really have no experience with American colleges and high schools, but the university here is very different from our equivalent of high school.

Yeah college is different from high school but not completely from my experience college is more lax on some of the rules but there are other ways but i'm blanking right now

You people are lucky. I am at the college age exactly...

Screw it, I'm taking a semester off.

Are there any pony fans online right now? The fandom is experiencing a crisis.

What sort of crisis? I'm a pony fan, I'm online, but I feel fine.

It's honestly not as big of a deal as we're probably making it, but Derpy Hooves within the show is momentarily being threatened by people who claim she is an offensive stereotype of the mentally handicapped. (Which is completely false, as many mentally disabled people have already defended "derp" and so forth.)

These people have started a petition to Hasbro demanding Derpy's voice, name, eyes and mane be changed, or for her to go away forever. I know this isnt the place for pony talk, but I figured I could at least promote the petition to keep Derpy the way she is.

Are there any pony fans online right now? The fandom is experiencing a crisis.

What sort of crisis? I'm a pony fan, I'm online, but I feel fine.

It's honestly not as big of a deal as we're probably making it, but Derpy Hooves within the show is momentarily being threatened by people who claim she is an offensive stereotype of the mentally handicapped. (Which is completely false, as many mentally disabled people have already defended "derp" and so forth.)

These people have started a petition to Hasbro demanding Derpy's voice, name, eyes and mane be changed, or for her to go away forever. I know this isnt the place for pony talk, but I figured I could at least promote the petition to keep Derpy the way she is.

I'm not much of a pony fan, but I have to admit I'm on your side here.

@Affliction Yes, it really is awful what they're trying to do. Like Raven put it, people who want things removed because someone could potentially be offended just make it worse... It ends up so that mentally disabled characters cannot even EXIST in the media and MUST be censored, which is even worse than mild stereotyping (Which Derpy does not even support in any way, she's simply clumsy and a bit ditzy.)

Derpy is the most beloved pony in the entire show! Her character promotes the friendship and tolerance morals that the show aims to convey to children in the first place, so it's extremely sad that people want to take that away.

The sad Derpy fanart that's circulating Brony websites is heartbreaking too.
my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-dont-take-derpy-away-from-us.png

This really should go to the Pony forum, but so long as there is no fights, it should be okay...

It is sad that they may change Derpy. But Hub did kinda ask fer it, with actually naming her as such.

I think they were just trying to appease the fans. I'll admit I didn't like her canon voice much, but I'll be devastated if they give into the mental disability nonsense claims...

I swear I will legitimately cry if they straighten her eyes, or worse, remove her permanently...

Well, most likely is straight up removal. Just fixing the eyes will not do anything helpful.

Why would they ever remove Derpy?

Edit: Reading is fun!

Wow, seriously? Gah, what is wrong with people!?

Yeah, I figured that out after I decided to not be lazy and read the older posts on this page.

But there's been plenty of derpy characters on other shows. Patrick on Spongebob has been around for forever, and he's like retarded. This is just one example.

Yeah, I figured that out after I decided to not be lazy and read the older posts on this page.

But there's been plenty of derpy characters on other shows. Patrick on Spongebob has been around for forever, and he's like retarded. This is just one example.

Exactly. Ed of Ed, Ed and Eddy, Cheese of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Ralphie from The Simpsons. This isn't a case of people actually being offended, it's middle-class snooty white people who are offended because someone could potentially be offended. Also, people making money on the copyright of the name "Derpy" works into the equation somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom