• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Chess Thread

Zexy

Quaxly Boy
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
Wow, just realised OtB never had a thread about chess all these years!

So, what do you think of this game? Do you know the rules? Even the few special ones? Have you ever tried getting better at it, do you occasionally play for leisure?

When I was young my parents would occasionally have me play a game once a while to gauge my intelligence or something, I remember knowing the rules since... almost ever. With the exception of en passant which I randomly found out when playing against the PC one boring summer day and it used on it me and was like WHAT. My uncle tried to get my cousins into chess, that is when I first found out about tournaments Elo etc. as a young adult. A bit later I made an account on chess.com, started at intermidiate Elo 800-1200, balanced around 1100, struggled to get better and kinda quit. May still watch the occasional video if I bump across it, though.

So, what are you all's experiences with this game?

I've learned Chess at the age of 10 during school. We even had some exercises regarding some chess puzzles and we even held a few, short, competitions with my classmates. I'll always remember being able to take another kid's Queen with a Pawn. I happen to have a big folder full of Chess informations from way back in the days. I should probably get it back at some point.

I was really into it a couple months back on Chess.com. I'm not good, but I can beat my sister and en passanting her feels so good.

I think Core A Gaming once likened En Passant to incorrect hitboxes, which is the funniest thing.

I don't have an especially interesting Chess history. I learned the rules during early schooling. I was aware of chess organizations, but never joined. I wonder what makes it so common to teach in schools? Is it that Chess's long history makes it justifiable as a learning experience? This might be waning, as I know someone younger than me who did not learn Chess in school.

Back
Top Bottom