• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

The Chibi-style of the game. Like or Hate

Do you like the the fact that the characters are Chibi?

• Yes

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 55.7%

• Total voters

Emelie

Bookworm
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/Her
Seeing the gym leader's model in battle and the new outfits makes me even more sad. Reminds me of XY when you tried to dress up the character thinking it looked good then the outfit felt completely different once the graphics changed back to chibis. Then you had to run in and out of the dressing room to find an outfit that looked good on that particular chibi sprite lol. Might be picky but I would rather see the sprite you use most of the time (or both).

The fact that the outfits are sets makes it even worse. At least in Lets Go you could combine clothes (although you had almost twice as many outfits in Eevee which was kind of unfair).

Spurs1819

Reaction score
Chibis are annoying. They are like the lazy way out. Less detail, simple shapes.

Just look at the following creatures - Tangrowth, Honchkrow, Staraptor. Almost look like they belong in a different game.

Boo Chibis.

Almonds

Lovely
Reaction score
I'm actually impressed they managed to include some emotional expressions in the overworld chibi models.

But still, I can't help but feel a little disappointed with some of the designs. Adorable, but disappointing. Roark's in-battle model looks gorgeous, though.

CrystalRose21

Reaction score
Pronouns
She/Her
Come on! There were some chibi style in the overworld and normal style in battles in the games Pokémon X and Y, as well as Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, right? I'm not forcing you to like the chibi style. I just want to suggest those who played these games to take a moment or so to remember and think. For those who have already played them, how did the gameplay of each look like?

Almonds

Lovely
Reaction score
This is pretty minor, but there were subtle details in the movements for the chibi characters in Gen 6. For example, in ORAS, there were NPC's that sat on mats or cushions so the player character had to kneel down to speak with them. This obviously doesn't matter for the entire story or gameplay. But its those little details that make the movements look lively even if they are chibi-styled.

I don't know if characters from BDSP could do that.

Puddle

Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
Chibis are annoying. They are like the lazy way out. Less detail, simple shapes.

If anything, using chibis in the overworld requires more work because it means that two models - a chibi one and a full-size one - need to be made for every character. They're an artistic choice, not a way to cut corners.

Greninjaman

Ninja Assassin Frog
Reaction score
Pronouns
Him/He
If anything, using chibis in the overworld requires more work because it means that two models - a chibi one and a full-size one - need to be made for every character.
Well, not necessarily everyone. For trainers that you can/have to battle, yes.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
If anything, using chibis in the overworld requires more work because it means that two models - a chibi one and a full-size one - need to be made for every character. They're an artistic choice, not a way to cut corners.
Not really? They definitely aren’t more work. The buildings and the environment are much more simpler.

Camille

Call of Fate
Reaction score
Never really liked the chibi models, as I don't find them cute nor endearing. The realistic proportions are actually one of very few things I liked about Sword/Shield and the Alola-based games.

Torchic W. Pip

Beautiful and Proud
Reaction score
Pronouns
they/she/he
Great I saw chibi Roark and now I want tiny Gym Leader figurines to carry around with and give me life advice.

If this is all leading up to a toy line based on the chibi models, it's working for me.

Greninjaman

Ninja Assassin Frog
Reaction score
Pronouns
Him/He
Don’t put words in my mouth. Where do I say that?
I'm saying that creating a 3D overworld like Sword and Shield's is more work than creating a chibi overworld.
That makes a load of sense. I can see how making the Sword and Shield overworld would be more work than BDSP's overworld.

BugLoverCody

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Neither love, nor hate. I do find it pleasant to the eye but I do think the Nintendo Switch gives us so much more potential when it comes to graphics. It just feels a little... lazy, even if it was picked on purpose for aesthetic reasons.

Chevywolf30

Local Lycanrocruff fan
Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
Don’t put words in my mouth. Where do I say that?
I'm saying that creating a 3D overworld like Sword and Shield's is more work than creating a chibi overworld.
Apologies, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, just wondering what exactly you meant.

Kiertronik

Reaction score
At first I disliked it but its grown on me the more I look at it, I kinda like it now.

Arylett Charnoa

Serenian Sorceress
Reaction score
The problem to me with the BDSP chibi style is that it is far too faithful to the spritework. I've always been of the opinion that chibis look far better in 2D than 3D, as I find giant heads and weird proportions to be more jarring and harder to believe in a 3D environment. This style just doesn't translate well, and that's why it was altered to a different chibi style with Gen 6 and LGPE, which was better designed to work in a 3D space.

Not only that, but this chibi style contrasts in a worst way against the more typically-proportioned battles.

To me, artstyle in Pokemon is of high importance, and this is an influence that makes me not want to purchase the game.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.