• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

The Chibi-style of the game. Like or Hate

Do you like the the fact that the characters are Chibi?

• Yes

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 55.7%

• Total voters

Greninjaman

Ninja Assassin Frog
Reaction score
Pronouns
Him/He
The problem to me with the BDSP chibi style is that it is far too faithful to the spritework. I've always been of the opinion that chibis look far better in 2D than 3D, as I find giant heads and weird proportions to be more jarring and harder to believe in a 3D environment. This style just doesn't translate well, and that's why it was altered to a different chibi style with Gen 6 and LGPE, which was better designed to work in a 3D space.

Not only that, but this chibi style contrasts in a worst way against the most typically-proportioned battles.

To me, artstyle in Pokemon is of high importance, and this is an influence that makes me not want to purchase the game.
That's fair.

Gengarzilla

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I gave the anime's wacky looking Sun and Moon series a chance and actually found it to be an enjoyable oasis smushed between two cringeworthy messes that I frankly cannot stomach. I like Pokémon such as Swoobat despite their designs. It would be quite hypocritical if I suddenly judged Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl on the chibified appearance alone. Should it turn out that I pass these games up, there will be other factors responsible for this.

Functionality first. Not appearance. That's what I look for. The overworld characters could be stickmen and I'd still buy if the game itself were fantastic.

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Still not super fond of it, as it still looks like something straight out of Mattel's toy line. However, given all the bonus content, QoL upgrades, customization, and other nice additions these games are offering I'm willing to accept it as part of the package. At least the character customization feature makes it more interesting. While I'd rather have more "realistic" proportions, like how Gen 7 and SWSH did things, I can live ultimately live with it. It does make me wonder if (and I mean a big IF) we get Gen 5 remakes they'll follow the same path as BDSP or not in terms of art style. Guess we'll cross that bridge if/when we get there. But, overall, while I'm still not 100% sold on it, at this point and time I can live with it.

guydee

possessor of raw gaming skill
Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
It does make me wonder if (and I mean a big IF) we get Gen 5 remakes they'll follow the same path as BDSP or not in terms of art style. Guess we'll cross that bridge if/when we get there. But, overall, while I'm still not 100% sold on it, at this point and time I can live with it.
It would make sense as Gen 5's sprites are the most similar to BDSP's style with their tiny bodies and enormous heads, especially when not in motion.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.