• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Chibi-style of the game. Like or Hate

Do you like the the fact that the characters are Chibi?

• Yes

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 55.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Do you like the Chibi-style of the characters, or do you not like them? What is your opinion on them? I personally don't mind them. They look like 3D versions of the 2D sprites from the original games.

I'm mixed. Sure, I would prefer a Diamond and Pearl remake in SwSh style, but I think these chibis work. At first, I was very off-put by them, but after watching the trailer a few times and seeing how they fit into the world, they actually fit really well to it. The world looks like this whole playset and the chibis look like little toys. When I thought of it in this concept, I actually liked it a lot more than I did when I initially saw them. It's stylized and fun.

I was really thrown off by it at first, but after watching the trailer like 20 times I'm adjusting to it and warming up to it. While I may never really love it, I can kinda understand why they chose it over SWSH's style. It's definitely my least favorite looking of the modern games so far, but I don't hate it now.

I’m neutral towards it. Don’t love it, but it doesn’t really bother me. I get why they went with it, and it’s fine. It’s not the most important aspect of the game anyway.

Upside is that all of the dungeons will probably be retained, which is something I was worried about with the possibility of a SwSh-scale remake (and I’m not finished worrying about it either since that’s more-or-less what Legends: Arceus is).

My feelings are in the neutral to negative range, which is typical for me I dislike the odd proportions that come with the chibi style and generally am more neutral on cutesy things. That being said, I can like it in scenarios when it's done well, but, personally, I don't feel that's the case here.

At first I was a bit put off when watching the trailer, but I've quickly warmed up to it and find it quite cute and charming, so yeah I do like it now. Of course I generally don't care much about the style of characters in games unless I find it really ugly.

My initial reaction was kinda shock and confusion because the models looked different and tiny. It'll probably grow onto me when I actually play it but the change is rather jarring, especially with the Legends Arceus having the proper model.

I think it's cute, personally. Yeah it's a little weird to go back to this style after 2 1/2 gens...but I can totally see what they wanted to do with it.

The only thing I don't really like is ILCA's full sized trainer models. If they used black outlines they'd look a lot better. But other than that, the Chibi overworld is still cute.

Hate. Especially since the games will almost certainly cost the same as copies of ShSw yet those games have truly amazing graphics by comparison, meanwhile we're gonna spend the same amount of money for BDSP graphics that are like 90% smaller and rudimentary. And of course Nintendo's counting on nostalgic fans buying the games no matter what the graphics look like. It's just an awful situation all around.

Last edited:
I hate it for how lazy of a design philosophy it represents. It looked fine on the pixelated DS in 2007. It’s 2021. We have games like LGPE and SwSh which look phenomenal, even with their issues (looking at that tree in the wild area).

Everyone knows remakes are a somewhat-lazy cash grab, where you use an existing game’s engine to spin around an old nostalgic region for easy money, but that’s what we’ve come to expect and ask for.

I would’ve been perfectly content if they handed ILCA a copy of Platinum and a copy of Let’s Go and said “make this game but with that game’s graphics, then split it into two versions for double the profit”. But instead they handed them a copy of Diamond and Pearl and said “convert this to an HD game that won’t look like complete pixelated garbage on a big TV” and that’s somehow even LAZIER than remakes already are.

I do not like.

It's not entirely because the characters are chibi, though. It's because of the design philosophy of the game. They've pretty much just translated D/P up another scale of 2.5D. I wanted a D/P remake to be a remake of significance to match stylistically with Sword/Shield. Since that is what every remake in the past has done (I don't count LGP/E), I really thought they would do that.

These games are so conservative. It looks like they really did nothing to overhaul them at all. Meaning they're charging $60 for what was a $35 game. This game looks like it belongs on the 3DS. It does not even match the graphical quality of other 2.5D games on the Switch published by Nintendo (Link's Awakening HD, LGP/E). It really pales in comparison. And neither of those games are worthy of being $60, either, lets be honest.

I wouldn't go as far as to say hate......but I'm not fond of it either.

I think it's the proportions, I think they look a lot better on sprites than they do on 3D models.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom