• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Chibi-style of the game. Like or Hate

Do you like the the fact that the characters are Chibi?

• Yes

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 55.7%

• Total voters

From what I have seen: Serebii lists it as a mainline game, but not a traditional mainline game (which is my point). And it works with what we have know. We know it's a mainline game (if we consider the japanese title and the language around it) but we also know it's not a traditional one. No gym battles, no new generation, no new pokemon, etc. This all goes with that.

From what I have seen: Serebii lists it as a mainline game, but not a traditional mainline game (which is my point). And it works with what we have know. We know it's a mainline game (if we consider the japanese title and the language around it) but we also know it's not a traditional one.
Then I think we may be in an agreement. Never do I say it’s a traditional game. It’s not a traditional game but that has no bearing on a “mainline” status.

I doubt you’ll ever be told that it’s a “traditional mainline game” or otherwise because I don’t think “traditional” is an official category that exists for them.

Then I think we may be in an agreement. Never do I say it’s a traditional game. It’s not a traditional game but that has no bearing on a “mainline” status.

I doubt you’ll ever be told that it’s a “traditional mainline game” or otherwise because I don’t think “traditional” is an official category that exists for them.

Haha, that was my point as well. When i was saying mainline game, my mind jumps to traditonal mainline games because until Legends, everything else has been spin offs. Now, we have 2 mainline games. Traditional and Legends.

Well, we are on a thread about a remake that appeals to nostalgia by halting all stylistic evolution. They’ve done the literal bare minimum for a 3D transition with the same art style.
It’s still an upgrade from the originals regardless. Art style doesn’t make the whole game, anyway. I was mostly talking about other nostalgic factors the game could have, not just the art style.

It’s still an upgrade from the originals regardless. Art style doesn’t make the whole game, anyway.
I wasn’t talking about the whole game; I was talking about the style choices which have had no improvement in 10 years. They replicated it 1:1 in 3D. The art style still remains the same but presented in a different packaging.

The current situation is that they’re trying to evoke nostalgia by halting as much progression in the art style as possible. All the other remakes have tried to alter their style in view with the contemporary games as much as the technology of the time would allow them, except let’s go, but it still had a new spin on the old style. BDSP completely lacks that and defies it to go back to the same old art style with a few 3D elements.

The overall game might be good after all, but with regards to style direction, it’s stagnant.

I wasn’t talking about the whole game; I was talking about the style choices which have had no improvement in 10 years. They replicated it 1:1 in 3D. The art style still remains the same but presented in a different packaging.

The current situation is that they’re trying to evoke nostalgia by halting as much progression in the art style as possible. All the other remakes have tried to alter their style in view with the contemporary games as much as the technology of the time would allow them, except let’s go, but it still had a new spin on the old style. BDSP completely lacks that and defies it to go back to the same old art style with a few 3D elements.

The overall game might be good after all, but with regards to style direction, it’s stagnant.
Ah, that’s fair. Though honestly, I think the chibi graphics are a failed appeal to nostalgia. Personally, I’m not nostalgic about the way DP looked, I care more about the story, characters, new Pokémon, maps, etc. That’s what I was referring to.

I'm sure they will touch up the in battle models before the games release.
Eh, I don’t think there’s ever been a drastic improvement in graphical quality from trailer to game. I saw this sentiment during SwSh’s pre-release but there were no major differences between the trailer visuals and final product. Any sort of changes appeared to be mostly minor details that you wouldn’t really notice unless you looked for them.

They may polish the models by the time of release, but I think they’ll look pretty similar to what we saw in the trailer.

I think all the battle models need are outlines. There should be no reason as to why the models dont have outlines 9 months after getting revealed.

Maybe they simply forgot? Also do they really need them? I am sure there are games that don’t give the models outlines.
If you check out this edit the models with outlines look much better imo but that's more of a subjective thing.
pokemon-brilliant-diamond-and-shining-pearl-line-tracing-graphics.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe they simply forgot?
I don’t think this is the case because that isn’t something you just forget to do. If there’s no outlines, then that’s a deliberate design choice.
Also do they really need them? I am sure there are games that don’t give the models outline
This is highly subjective, but I will say that outlines would really elevate the graphics in my opinion. Oftentimes on digital artwork (I’m using artwork in the broadest sense here), the shading isn’t distinct enough and parts of the body, clothing, etc. almost blend together. BDSP has this problem in my opinion, at least with the battle models. For example, I find it hard to tell Barry’s hair apart from his skin.

The outlines, and also adding much better lighting and shadows would make the graphics far better. Because right now it looks extremely basic and too simplistic.

They just need better shading. Most 3D games don't have outlines. I'm sure with better texture materials in Barry's hair, he wouldn't look like his hair is glowing.
It really depends on art style. With BDSP's art style, outlines would fit much better than just simple models. No outlines on games like Super Smash Bros Ultimate makes sense because it fits the art style, or at least doesn't make the game look unpleasant.

I think BDSP needs more realistic textures. But not too realistic because I've seen what that could do to the anime characters in Jump Force.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom