• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Chibi-style of the game. Like or Hate

Do you like the the fact that the characters are Chibi?

• Yes

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 55.7%

• Total voters
Seeing the gym leader's model in battle and the new outfits makes me even more sad. Reminds me of XY when you tried to dress up the character thinking it looked good then the outfit felt completely different once the graphics changed back to chibis. Then you had to run in and out of the dressing room to find an outfit that looked good on that particular chibi sprite lol. Might be picky but I would rather see the sprite you use most of the time (or both).

The fact that the outfits are sets makes it even worse. At least in Lets Go you could combine clothes (although you had almost twice as many outfits in Eevee which was kind of unfair).

Chibis are annoying. They are like the lazy way out. Less detail, simple shapes.

Just look at the following creatures - Tangrowth, Honchkrow, Staraptor. Almost look like they belong in a different game.

Boo Chibis.

I'm actually impressed they managed to include some emotional expressions in the overworld chibi models.

But still, I can't help but feel a little disappointed with some of the designs. Adorable, but disappointing. Roark's in-battle model looks gorgeous, though.

Come on! There were some chibi style in the overworld and normal style in battles in the games Pokémon X and Y, as well as Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, right? I'm not forcing you to like the chibi style. I just want to suggest those who played these games to take a moment or so to remember and think. For those who have already played them, how did the gameplay of each look like?

This is pretty minor, but there were subtle details in the movements for the chibi characters in Gen 6. For example, in ORAS, there were NPC's that sat on mats or cushions so the player character had to kneel down to speak with them. This obviously doesn't matter for the entire story or gameplay. But its those little details that make the movements look lively even if they are chibi-styled.

I don't know if characters from BDSP could do that.

Chibis are annoying. They are like the lazy way out. Less detail, simple shapes.

If anything, using chibis in the overworld requires more work because it means that two models - a chibi one and a full-size one - need to be made for every character. They're an artistic choice, not a way to cut corners.

If anything, using chibis in the overworld requires more work because it means that two models - a chibi one and a full-size one - need to be made for every character. They're an artistic choice, not a way to cut corners.
Not really? They definitely aren’t more work. The buildings and the environment are much more simpler.

Never really liked the chibi models, as I don't find them cute nor endearing. The realistic proportions are actually one of very few things I liked about Sword/Shield and the Alola-based games.

Don’t put words in my mouth. Where do I say that?
I'm saying that creating a 3D overworld like Sword and Shield's is more work than creating a chibi overworld.
That makes a load of sense. I can see how making the Sword and Shield overworld would be more work than BDSP's overworld.

Neither love, nor hate. I do find it pleasant to the eye but I do think the Nintendo Switch gives us so much more potential when it comes to graphics. It just feels a little... lazy, even if it was picked on purpose for aesthetic reasons.

The problem to me with the BDSP chibi style is that it is far too faithful to the spritework. I've always been of the opinion that chibis look far better in 2D than 3D, as I find giant heads and weird proportions to be more jarring and harder to believe in a 3D environment. This style just doesn't translate well, and that's why it was altered to a different chibi style with Gen 6 and LGPE, which was better designed to work in a 3D space.

Not only that, but this chibi style contrasts in a worst way against the more typically-proportioned battles.

To me, artstyle in Pokemon is of high importance, and this is an influence that makes me not want to purchase the game.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom