• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest The Contest Hall Rules & Regulations! [Updated 6/22]

GrnMarvl14

Lying
Reaction score
Welcome to,

The Contest Hall Rules & Regulations!

Please refer to this list for all things you'll need to know about posting in The Contest Hall. It's imperative that all users are familiar with these rules to ensure the best experience possible in this sub-section for users and guests alike.

1. All BMGf rules apply.
It should go without saying that these rules still apply to this sub-section, even if they are not necessarily listed here. Any violation of these rules will be treated as they typically are.

2. Be respectful of other's opinions, ideas, and contests. Saying things such as "anyone who disagrees is dumb, stupid, etc." or simply bashing/insulting a user for their opinion will not be tolerated. While it's fine to hold your own opinion, we ask that you respect the right for others to do the same.

3. Search for contests before posting a new one.
This is simply to keep duplicate threads at a minimum, as well to keep similar/related discussion in the same place for easier access. If you aren't able to find a contest, you are welcome to create it yourself. If you find a contest, but the last post was made more than three months ago, you are allowed to start a new contest for it. Duplicate threads (made in a close enough timeframe) will be merged for organizational purposes.

4. Contests should only be discussed in their respective threads. This also helps with keeping discussion organized, and falls in-line with respecting users, meaning not derailing their contest.

5. The Contest Hall is for Pokemon-related battles only. This is not a section to post "Pokémon vs. Mario" topics or "Pokémon vs. Digimon" topics. You are allowed to pit anything together as long as the two contests are from the Pokémon universe, whether it be comparing topics from the manga against the anime, or topics from the games against the TCG. If you are pitting two things in the anime together, however, that contest would go in the Anime section instead. The same applies with all other media that has their own section here on the forums.

6. Add a poll.
While this is a regulation rather than a rule, it's asked that whenever creating a contest, you add a poll to your thread to allow for an easy way to see which contestant has won your contest. It also allows users to participate in contests even if they might not have anything to say.

7. Answers should contain more than just who you think should win.
Again, this is another regulation, but it's asked that when posting who you think should win a contest, you give a few reasons as to why as well. This is to help keep discussion going, and also to encourage users to become more involved within The Contest Hall.

8. Have fun!
There's no sense in participating in The Contest Hall if you're not having fun. If at any time you aren't having fun, or feel that you or another user is being harassed/shut down, please report the situation using the "report" button at the bottom of users posts, or contact one of the Pokémon General moderators.​

If at any time you feel these rules are being broken, or have a question about The Contest Hall, please don't hesitate to ask for help.

- The General Pokémon Discussion Moderators
Enzap, Life, & SirOni.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting)

I have a question, GrnMarvl. Does this rule apply here? Because I've found a fair amount of one-word posts, although I wasn't sure if they were worth reporting or not.

That rule's always been conditional and up to the moderator's discretion. I usually allow one word posts if it answers the question posed by the thread. A favorite, or a contest, can easily be answered in one word, and I'm fine with that, though I DO encourage people to post more than one word, just to foster discussion.

I'm noticing a few crossover match ups over in the main Pokemon world. I know they're not allowed in this subforum, but might it be a good idea if there maybe was a place to put those match ups so they don't litter the main page? Kind of like a sub-sub forum specifically for crossover matches?

Just an idea I'm throwing out there

I'm noticing a few crossover match ups over in the main Pokemon world. I know they're not allowed in this subforum, but might it be a good idea if there maybe was a place to put those match ups so they don't litter the main page? Kind of like a sub-sub forum specifically for crossover matches?

Just an idea I'm throwing out there

We'll see. If it gets out of hand, we'll figure out what to do.

Re: Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting) (10/17 - minor clarification)

Does "Thread Necromancy" applies on this board? That is, is it allowed to post on a thread that's not been posted for at least 30 days? If not, does that mean that a new thread of the same contest is allowed?

Thanks for reading.

Does "Thread Necromancy" applies on this board? That is, is it allowed to post on a thread that's not been posted for at least 30 days? If not, does that mean that a new thread of the same contest is allowed?

Thanks for reading.

Rule #1:

Search the Contest Hall forum before posting. Any duplicate battles WILL result in a double post (topic) infraction (exceptions will be made if the previous version of the battle hasn't been posted in for over thirty days, though no necromancy infractions will be given out for reviving these threads).

Bolded the applicable part.

Relating to the second rule, does that mean if you can't make up your mind on a vote, though are fond of several options, and therefore don't vote, you should not reply to the thread?

Edit:

AGH! I'm such an idiot! Never mind, I understand.

Re: Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting) (11/19 - New rule added)

There are two rule #3's. I also have a question:

The rule no longer says you have to pick one option (I got infracted last time when I said I had no favourite). Does this mean you can now say you like them equally as long as you give a reason, or did you just forget to add it?

There are two rule #3's. I also have a question:

The rule no longer says you have to pick one option (I got infracted last time when I said I had no favourite). Does this mean you can now say you like them equally as long as you give a reason, or did you just forget to add it?

Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected it.

Yes. In fact, one of the new rules' main objective was to eliminate the slightly silly but needed rule which restricted neutral responses. Now, you can indeed use them, as long as you justify.

What does it mean to revive a thread to just comment on who's winning?

That means posting in a thread just to comment on the poll results. There's nothing wrong with discussing the contestants or posting in an older thread to say who you'd think would win, but posting just to say someone's winning is fairly spammy and doesn't really add to the discussion. And this is really true of almost any poll on the site. Discussing the poll itself is one thing, but the results, especially while voting is still open...not much you're going to be adding, and the post could fairly quickly becoming irrelevant.

Hi! I was wondering if a City vs City thread would be allowed.

It could be like...
-Which is more important?
-Which is bigger?
-Which has better citizens (like Gym Leaders, Professors, etc.)
-Which is your favorite?

Hi! I was wondering if a City vs City thread would be allowed.

It could be like...
-Which is more important?
-Which is bigger?
-Which has better citizens (like Gym Leaders, Professors, etc.)
-Which is your favorite?

As long as it involves two cities from the Pokémon World, it's a fair game. :)

Re: Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting) (3/4 - MASSIVE overhaul)

A little update on rule #2: before we suggested that you remade your thread if you forgot a poll, but as farewell, friend kindly pointed out it's not necessary to do so and it's easier to just add a poll via the Thread Options.

Re: Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting) (4/23 - some clarifications)

We proceeded to a revision of the rules and as a result we added a new paragraph to rule #3 and we made a "new" rule, #7. While these were inferred and already being used, we felt the need to clarify them to avoid unnecessary punishments.

As for #7, does it prohibit matchups that imply more than one confrontation? (For instance, an evolutionary line vs another, and discussing the individual pokemon.)

Of course probably not and it's more about only tangentially related topics in the same thread. (Or completelly unrelated. Things like "you like Venusaur or Bulbasaur and what's the better VA for Pikachu??". Nevermind VA talk is banned anyways) But it's still quite ambiguous.

I guess if it can all be considered the same matchup, it's fine.

As for #7, does it prohibit matchups that imply more than one confrontation? (For instance, an evolutionary line vs another, and discussing the individual pokemon.)

Evolutionary line vs evolutionary line is fine. Just no threads trying to combine, say, Zangoose vs Seviper AND Wailord vs Skitty. That would need two threads, not one.

Of course probably not and it's more about only tangentially related topics in the same thread. (Or completelly unrelated. Things like "you like Venusaur or Bulbasaur and what's the better VA for Pikachu??". Nevermind VA talk is banned anyways) But it's still quite ambiguous.

VA talk isn't banned. HOWEVER, if anyone started a VA vs VA thread, it would likely get closed fairly quickly due to other reasons. However, if it was started and didn't spiral into chaos, then it would be fine.

I guess if it can all be considered the same matchup, it's fine.

For the most part, we're just trying to get separate battles into separate threads. We don't want one thread for half-a-dozen different Pokemon facing half-a-dozen different OTHER Pokemon. An evolutionary line vs another evolutionary line would be okay, because an evolutionary line could be considered a singular thing. But, to use the example above, Skitty and Seviper have nothing in common, and neither do Wailord or Zangoose, so having them all together under one thread just doesn't make sense.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom