• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The countdown to Harley's debut in the dub (SPOILERS)

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
So, by my calculations, Harley should make his debut in the Pokemon Advanced Battle episode that airs on Toonami UK this Tuesday.

So what do you guys think? Do you think 4Kids will dub the character well, or do you think they'll pull a Bashou and change him into a woman? Who do you think will provide his voice?

I don't think they'll turn him into a woman, but I am worried that he'll get a really horrible voice... they might go so overboard in gaying him up ala James that he ends up sounding like the drag queen in Pokemon Fashion Flash. By now I'm so used to him in the Japanese version, it'll be hard to adjust however the dubbers portray him. And it'll be really weird if he gets a different name. I can't see why they'd change it when 'Harley' is an American name as it is, but then again, they changed Rose to Kate...

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
But my money's on Darren Dunstan doing his Pegasus voice.
That would be awful. Pegasus' voice is not right for Harley. Consisdering 4Kids, it wouldn't be out of the question.

I'll be mad if they change his name. I've said this before, and I'll say it again- I will never stop calling him "Harley."

Any guesses as to what 4Kids will do with "kamo" and "Meno-chan"?

"Kamo" should be translated as "sorta", except that May doesn't have the habit of saying "sorta" in like every other sentence so it'll seem sorta out of the blue. ^^

"Meno-chan"... probably something like "Tenty".

I'm more interested in the name than anything else. I honestly cannot call him by anything other than "Harley" since I'm so used to the name after the last 6 months of his appearences in the anime.

If they do give him a different name, I will continue to only refer to him as Harley, I won't be able to adjust.

Ketsuban said:
"Meno-chan"... probably something like "Tenty".

Oh, THAT'S going to help her jailbait reputation with the people at Pokemopolis...

If they do give him a different name, I will continue to only refer to him as Harley, I won't be able to adjust.
lol, me neither. Good thing Harley's so infamous so we won't need to worry about people not knowing who we're talking about.

I once heard "Meno-chan" translated as "Tenta-girl"... which, OK, sounds kinda bad but could be worse. I don't think they'll bother finding a way to translate "kamo", they'll just rewrite the dialogue.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
But Bashou, voice aside, was refered to as a man. They might do THAT...

But my money's on Darren Dunstan doing his Pegasus voice.

I think he'll stay a man. As for the voice... I'm thinking of Andrew Rannells, or maybe Wayne Grayson. Darren's Pegasus is a bit too deep, I think.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Kudo said it in the second part. I think the line was something like "Those men must be members of Team Rocket!"
Just sounds like a rather clumbsy mistake if anything. And really, thats now the sort of mistake I expect from whoever has been dubbing the chronicles series.

Nope. The only other reference to gender is made by Marina in Part One - who calls Atilla and Hun "those guys".

This is the main team rather than whoever did Chronicles, so they might not do the same thing here. For all they are doing to James recently, it would be strange if they did change Harley.

No. "Those men," in my opinion, is really just a way to refer to a group of people in a group (in this case, "Team Rocket"). The ADR people likely didn't have the space to fit "that man and woman from Team Rocket" in with the number of mouth flaps available, so the line was shortened.

It's the same thing with "those guys," which is pretty much a genderless expression these days.

Of course, it's also possible that the Chronicles people never decided on a gender for Bashou.

Since when has anyone involved in Pokemon cared about lip flaps? Especially the dubbers, given that they took characters with longer names like Satoshi and Kojiro and gave them single-syllable names.

"Those people" could have worked, but to go out of their way to specify "those men"...

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom