• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The countdown to Harley's debut in the dub (SPOILERS)

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Since when has anyone involved in Pokemon cared about lip flaps? Especially the dubbers, given that they took characters with longer names like Satoshi and Kojiro and gave them single-syllable names.

"Those people" could have worked, but to go out of their way to specify "those men"...

Ash doesn't introduce himself as 'Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town' for no reason.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Since when has anyone involved in Pokemon cared about lip flaps? Especially the dubbers, given that they took characters with longer names like Satoshi and Kojiro and gave them single-syllable names.

So 4Kids matching the lip flaps in about 98% of the show is completely negated because James' mouth moves three times when he says his name during the motto?

"Those people" could have worked, but to go out of their way to specify "those men"...

"Went out of their way?" "Those men" is probably just the translation that they were given for that line, and so they decided to just go with it. I see no evidence of them "going out of their way" for anything.

...no one, and I mean no one, would refer to a man-woman duo as "those men". Please, Dogasu, see reason.

They would if they had never even *seen* said man-woman duo. You have to remember that Kudo hadn't seen either Atilla or Hun when he made that comment. All he had to go on was second-hand information.

Dogasu, you're overthinking this just so you won't have to admit that 4Kids didn't mess up.

True. But some people will bash dubbers for anything, even things that aren't true.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:

They care about the lip flaps enough to make an attempt at lengthing a one-syllable name. XD At least now it's usually "And I'm James," rather than "Ja-yames!" Naming them to fit the lip flaps would have been hell. Can anyone think of a decent two-syllable name to replace Sa-toshi? (The "i" is sometimes pronounced, but not very often.) Yes, I know, they didn't have to replace it... ::has dug self into hole::

Harley, I think, will be fine with his name.

Ketsuban said:
Dogasu, you're overthinking this just so you won't have to admit that 4Kids didn't mess up.

Oh, believe me, I'll praise 4Kids whenever I believe they do something good. I believe that 4Kids or any dubbing company should be praised when they do something good and berated when they do something bad. I'm hardly the dub-hating elitist you seem to think I am.

I just think that, in this case, the argument that "he referred to Atilla and Hun as 'those men' YOU DUB BASHERS OVERREACTED OVER NOTHING!!!" isn't as airtight as people want it to be. Sure, it can be argued that the line proves that Hun is really a man (with a woman's voice, for some reason), but it can also be argued that that's not necessarily the case.

Last edited:
The problems with dubbing Harley are:

1) He hasn't appeared in the games
2) harley is a boy's and girl's name
3) He could be mistaken for a girl

So its anyone's guess on the gender. If they change the name, it's either gonna be Harry or Hayley, that's all I'll guess. But at least this isn't the same group who did Chronicles (they messed up big time, not only with Bashou/Hun, but they decided to stick some clips together and steal a song from the 3rd Pokemon Movie and said it was an opening theme)

4Kids use music from the movies all the time. They just used 3rd movie music in "The Scufffle of Legends".

FabuVinny said:
4Kids use music from the movies all the time. They just used 3rd movie music in "The Scufffle of Legends".

Yep, but they had the time to make one that's suit.

4kids don't have to guess on Harley's gender, he's referred to as a "he" at various points in the episode he's in. 4kids knows what gender he is, if they decide to stick with it is up in the air

You know, I just realized that if 4Kids really wanted to prove their stupidity, they could change him to a woman and name him Holly (which would be ホリー, not ハーリー, but you know 4Kids), which would make me both infinitely disgusted and amused at the same time, seeing as that is my real name.

HAHA, that's amusing.

But, I honestly think they'll keep him a man.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom