• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Current Student Thread

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. They/Them
It doesn't matter if you're in college or high school, this thread is for all current students! Feel free to use this thread to complain about virtual classes, talk about fun things you did with friends in class, etc.!

Though I feel like one rule is needed, and that is don't use this thread to cheat or plagiarize! Just because this thread is for students doesn't mean that you can get others to do your work for you.

I'll start this thread off: Due to Covid, I got behind in school, so my family is thinking of switching me to another school. I'm nervous, but I hope things will go well.

Have fun!

I've been in limbo for the past 2 years awaiting to go on exchange in Japan due to COVID... Two weeks ago my April exchange got canceled and I'm scheduled to go in September this year. In the meantime I got all the credits to complete my MA, except for my thesis, so I don't even have to take any courses anymore. It's not easy gathering motivation to write my thesis when the deadline keeps being pushed on with every delay of the exchange, but I'm gonna try to get it done by the Summer. The Japanese government's treatment of foreign students is honestly awful.

@ConfectionerMari hope you'll find your groove at your new school if you have to move and good luck :wynaut:

I've heard about this. I really hope the situation changes in around 2.5 years when I go, but 勉強して頑張ってね
Hope so too for you. I wish all my fellow students the best. もうやる気ないけど頑張ってみるよ,ありがとう.

I love this idea for a thread! (* ^ w ^)

Due to Covid, I got behind in school, so my family is thinking of switching me to another school. I'm nervous, but I hope things will go well.

Aah, I imagine that must be nerve-wracking; I stayed in the same school for all of primary and then secondary, so I have no advice to offer, unfortunately. :[ That being said, I'm sure you're going to be just fine - think of it as an opportunity to take classes and subjects that might not have been an offer at your previous one, meet new friends, and maybe have some better teachers, if you're lucky, lol? Either way, I'm rooting for you - I hope all goes well!

My favorite subject is Japanese, and I'm skipping Japanese 3 to do AP Japanese next year. I plan on going to international school in Japan.

!! Very impressive, I wish you all the best! Are you going to apply directly to a Japanese university or apply through a local exchange programme at a local university? I was interested in spending a semester abroad for my 3rd-year of university, but unfortunately due to COVID, the module wasn't on offer for me. :[ Bit of a letdown, but it might have been for the best.

I myself am approaching the end of my BA in English Language & Literature - just three months left now. After a year of studying solely BA English Language, I chose to transfer courses to LangLit as I missed creative writing; I don't regret the choice at all but it did mean that my course turned out to be four years long as opposed to three, so I'm a little burnt out and ready to move on from university now, orz.

Thank you all for your kind words!!!

my plan is to go to an international school in Japan, there'll be instruction in both English and Japanese depending on the classes you pick. And from there I can hopefully "level up" my Japanese, which would help me with finding employment. So...basically, applying to a Japanese university, but with a twist ww.
...I may or may not steal your idea depending on the success rate lol

While we're on the topic of school in Japan, I've been thinking on whether or not I should move there for my education and stay there. Once you know all the scientific words for jellyfish, there really is no going back to the US in my opinion. Either that or I go with option B and go into journalism of some kind, which would make more sense for me knowing both English and Japanese in the future. Choosing a career is hard, I don't want to think about it aaa

I guess I never asked you this before, and maybe it'd be suited for another thread, but how's your Japanese level, Mari?
I've memorized around 10 kanji I think? I got all the kana down, its just kanji and grammar that's getting me at the moment. I'm self studying as well because there are no classes in my area, so I'm assuming that its a bit tougher than going to a class. I'm really trying to take it seriously now though, since I really want to move to japan someday

The attorney I work under wants to mentor me so I think I'll be able to get a good reference to get into USC or UCLA law school.

The attorney I work under wants to mentor me so I think I'll be able to get a good reference to get into USC or UCLA law school.
That's so cool! good luck, you got this!!!
That's awesome! We all start small of course, and there's really so many people who have self-studied their way to fluency and Japan, although school/classes can help. I'd look online for workbooks and stuff you can download if you like using those, Anki decks are good for flashcards if you have a computer, uhhhhhhh that's basically all I have...

But don't give up on it--kanji suck sometimes but I actually have started to like learning them.
Thank you so much! My hope is to find some classes soon, I'm going to work really hard!

I'm a second semester junior and English Literature major (yes really, shut up) with hoping to get my masters in Library Science. So currently in the process in between school work of looking for a Masters School that gives the topic I want, which is a lot harder than it sounds (since there's only one school near where I live that has it and I'm hesitate of going since they literally screw me over when I applied to them as an undergrad).

I am missing two credits that I have to find a way to get due to the way I took classes in 2020 due to schedule mishaps and pandemic, it's either six classes next semester, half credit courses, intersession (taking classes in between school break), or CLEP exams (a standardized test that acts as you taking that class and the credits that go with it) to make those up which I am a lost for what to do for those. Especially since I always have problems with class registration so who knows what will happen.

My english teacher gave me a 6/10 on an assignment because I forgot a very unimportant piece of puncuation, and when I added/fixed it, he gave me a 9.9/10????????????
where the heck did that .1 go???? The grading your teacher is doing is crazy, I am wishing you the best dude

A little update on me too: because I'm missing so many credits, I might have to start 1 or 2 grades behind which is really devastating to me. I might either have to accept my fate and get an IEP, or study like crazy to catch up. I might be missing this summer because of studying, so um yeah I am suffering

where the heck did that .1 go???? The grading your teacher is doing is crazy, I am wishing you the best dude

A little update on me too: because I'm missing so many credits, I might have to start 1 or 2 grades behind which is really devastating to me. I might either have to accept my fate and get an IEP, or study like crazy to catch up. I might be missing this summer because of studying, so um yeah I am suffering
Good luck to you too, and hes just a really odd teacher:rolleyes:

As for your update, has your school offered summer school? Thats a pretty good way to make up credits if you dont have any plans during the summer, and good luck to you too :bulbaLove:

As for your update, has your school offered summer school? Thats a pretty good way to make up credits if you dont have any plans during the summer, and good luck to you too :bulbaLove:
I would take it if I wasn't homeschooled lol. I'd be joining my new school in the fall, so I can't really do anything except study as fast as I can to catch up to junior year for the fall

I'm college right now too. Hope I'll pass all exams at high level (for me that's the hardest). I found writing service here to help me with that task and I got the highet score in the class. They are pro in proofreading too. Sometimes pro writer's help could be useful.

Last edited:
I am currently undertaking a Graduate Certificate in Research Skills (hoping to teach English in South Korea and then probably do a PhD there), and it is via a little thing called Zoom. I hope that we get to go in-person soon, but the new sub-variant of the omicron variant of COVID-19 (which is spreading in New South Wales and may have already entered Victoria) mean that it may not happen (and that would mean never meeting my classmates in person). I started the course last year with three subjects and doing one subject this semester (the worst mark I got for a subject for the course was a 70, which is a Distinction and the highest an 86, a High Distinction and a 79 for a third subject, also a Distinction).

To those who are doing it tough, we need to support each other here, and hopefully make it out the other side. And remember, there is support there for everyone, so take advantage of it when need be. And in addition, there are great meditation videos on YouTube, so check them out. And also, take time out for yourselves, especially while COVID-19 is doing the rounds (I'm heading to Hoyts Highpoint tomorrow to see Belfast, which is not screening at Hoyts Watergardens or Village Sunshine).

Last edited:
i'm in this weird area between current student and former.

i suppose the simplest way to explain my situation is that i havent enrolled in any classes in my local college in years. but events in my life (mostly having to keep up with job after job) haven't really afforded me the time to do so. to add onto my struggles, my college record isn't exactly.... great. aside from my GPA (which is fine), it looks pretty damn ugly with a lot of withdrawals due to mental health issues as well as the inability to balance school and work.

i really do want to take classes again. but it's been so long since i've done so that i feel like i have to start from the very beginning, which is a meeting i'd have to have with the dean or whoever manages that. @_@ currently though, finding a decent paying work-from-home job is priority. then after that, i'll see if i can restart my education.

Back
Top Bottom