• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Dancing Pokemon At Rudy's Gym

MondoTR

Reaction score
In the dub Rudy says they're his but someone said he never said that in the Japanese version. So I need to know what he said in the Japanese version when he invites Misty to see them.

Rudy's Invitation

In the Japanese raw, カスミさんうちのジムのぽけもんたちをお見さしましょう、 Kasumi-san, uchi no jimu no pokemontachi wo omisashimashou, is roughly translated as: Kasumi-san, let me show the pokemon of Uchi Gym. In the dub: I know, let's go to the gym and let our pokemon meet Misty. So, yes, in the dub he calls them "our pokemon" and in the raw Uchi Gym's pokemon. But as the gym leader, there's really little difference except for the addressed speaker change from his sister to Misty. Someone more versed in Japanese can fix up my omisashimashou, but that should for a rough translation. Hope that helps.

Limerick

In some Japanese dialects, "uchi" can be used as a first person pronoun. Thus, it could well be "my gym's pokemon".

And in some social situations as well, but I've never figured out which. It seems like a humble first person pronoun, perhaps similar to otaku as a honorific second person pronoun.

I see he is using some amount of humble language in that sentence anyway...

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom