• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Diamonds in the Logo

The way that tweet is worded is so misleading it's disgusting. At most its a simple coincidence. I don't think that they would pull ideas from a failed manga, if they even remember that it exists.
Failed manga? I understand you don't like the concept, but where do you get the 'failed manga' part?

Guys clearly its a fusion device.. That fuses Lunatone with Umbreon and Espeon with Solrock, Volcarona and Sunflora.
Inb4newgimmickistrainer-PokemonfusionREBURST.

I've always found the concept of Burst to be very interesting. In a way, it's sort of the next step up from Mega Evolution, about which Professor Sycamore has this to say:

"It's only a hypothesis, but I think the bond between Pokémon and Trainer is the key to this new Evolution. But what is this bond, exactly? And why are there examples of Mega Evolution only in the Kalos region? There's still so much we don't know..."

Burst would be the epitome of that idea. In order to achieve a stable fusion, the Pokémon and trainer would have to be perfectly synchronized with each other, logically speaking. This is why, as noted in Bulbapedia's article on Burst:
Bulbapedia said:
[...] in order to use Burst, one must go through rigorous training or else their life will be in danger if they attempt it.

I've always found the concept of Burst to be very interesting. In a way, it's sort of the next step up from Mega Evolution, about which Professor Sycamore has this to say:

"It's only a hypothesis, but I think the bond between Pokémon and Trainer is the key to this new Evolution. But what is this bond, exactly? And why are there examples of Mega Evolution only in the Kalos region? There's still so much we don't know..."

Burst would be the epitome of that idea. In order to achieve a stable fusion, the Pokémon and trainer would have to be perfectly synchronized with each other, logically speaking. This is why, as noted in Bulbapedia's article on Burst:

But you don't SERIOUSLY believe they're going to do that, do you?
The diamonds in the logo are so generic, it's likely it's just a coincidence they look like something found in one of the tens of Pokemon spin off mangas.
And aside from being ridiculous, if this could happen, how would it actually work? If you fuse with a Pokemon and it faints, does the battle end? Which Pokemon can you fuse with? How does fusing with them make them stronger? (I mean maybe the mental/emotional bond makes sense, but how does literally becoming part-human make them more powerful?) How will Pokemon that aren't humanoid (or don't have any limbs at all) look in their fused form?
And why does the epitome of the bond of friendship (or whatever you want to call it) have to be something physical? Why can't it remain a spiritual bond?

Those diamonds are interesting... and like what has been said before, it's most likely something related to a new game mechanic. Or, it could be story-related too. Maybe they're like the McGuffin as opposed to the Legendaries themselves? That would be an interesting change of pace... the plot involving the evil team being centered around a special Item(inb4 Indiana Jones Poke-memes), whether or not it's related to the Legendaries I think would still make it interesting.

But you don't SERIOUSLY believe they're going to do that, do you?
The diamonds in the logo are so generic, it's likely it's just a coincidence they look like something found in one of the tens of Pokemon spin off mangas.
And aside from being ridiculous, if this could happen, how would it actually work? If you fuse with a Pokemon and it faints, does the battle end? Which Pokemon can you fuse with? How does fusing with them make them stronger? (I mean maybe the mental/emotional bond makes sense, but how does literally becoming part-human make them more powerful?) How will Pokemon that aren't humanoid (or don't have any limbs at all) look in their fused form?
And why does the epitome of the bond of friendship (or whatever you want to call it) have to be something physical? Why can't it remain a spiritual bond?

I can dream, can't I? :p

If your fused form is defeated, you most likely just revert to human form and your Pokémon faints.

Going by the manga, you should, theoretically, be able to fuse with any Pokémon you choose, but it would be highly impractical to try and create Burst versions of all 800+ monsters that are bound to be available. As with Mega Evolutions, they'd probably just pick a select few popular Pokémon that they think would work well from a design standpoint.

As for how it makes the Pokémon stronger, I assumed the bond itself would be what did it, with the act of fusion simply being symbolic of the trainer and Pokémon thinking, feeling and acting as one.

I actually already considered what non-anthropomorphic or amorphous Pokémon would look like in fused form. Muk would be freaking scary. :eek:

A purely spiritual bond is nice, but doesn't supply a lot of potential for cool visuals to go with the game mechanic. :p

I am so NOT interested in this potential mechanic. Dare I say that it would turn me off of the games entirely if it is included? I never felt this way about mega evolution, or really any other mechanic that has been introduced. This just seems so inherently wrong to me for some reason.

Wait a sec... diamonds = gems = Steven Universe. And Steven Universe has fusions. FUSIONS CONFIRMED!

Seriously though, I would be okay with a spiritual kind of fusion like Ash-Greninja. As for literal fusion, tho, I'm not so sure...

I am so NOT interested in this potential mechanic. Dare I say that it would turn me off of the games entirely if it is included? I never felt this way about mega evolution, or really any other mechanic that has been introduced. This just seems so inherently wrong to me for some reason.

There is absolutely nothing innately filthy about Burst. My guess is that you've seen or heard about too many disturbing things on the Internet. :p

It it's pokemon-human fusion, delete it fat then, I'm out for the series' future :(
I did the same when it happened to Digimon, and it was the reason I stuck with pokemon, mega evolutions already bother me enough...

There is absolutely nothing innately filthy about Burst. My guess is that you've seen or heard about too many disturbing things on the Internet. :p

No, I don't think it's "filthy." It just seems so wrong, or weird/off, to me. It just doesn't fit with the world that has been created, IMO. Mega evolution was the complete opposite. It seemed like a natural extension of the world we were in. I really hope that the diamonds are a coincidence and that they represent something else. I'm a lot less hyped since finding out the potential connection here.

No, I don't think it's "filthy." It just seems so wrong, or weird/off, to me. It just doesn't fit with the world that has been created, IMO. Mega evolution was the complete opposite. It seemed like a natural extension of the world we were in. I really hope that the diamonds are a coincidence and that they represent something else. I'm a lot less hyped since finding out the potential connection here.

How does it not "fit"? It seems like the logical extreme of the trainer-Pokémon bond theme that's been so prevalent throughout the series. Not likely a League-sanctioned tactic due to the risks associated with its practice, but otherwise no stranger than anything else we've seen. As a matter of fact, at least one human-Pokémon fusion was seen long before Burst was even thought of—Bill did it back in Generation I through a teleporter accident.

I kind of want them to make a weak Pokemon that can power up other compatible Pokemon. Something that kind of like the Shellder-Slowpoke but is battle only. This Pokemon can fuse with or turn into a weapon or armor or other kinds of power up for compatible Pokemon. The mechanic is that you have to include this weak Pokemon with kind of useless move on your team. Kind of like how Mega sacrifice an item slot.

I don't mind it being a spiritual fusion mechanic like they're doing with Ash Greninja.

I also don't mind them doing literal fusions. The Burst forms looked cool to me, and even though it's not Pokémon, I always liked the Spirit Digimon. It's sad they're pretty much ignored. Though literal Pokémon-human fusions seem like a spin-off type of thing imo.

I dunno, fusion always interested me as a concept, but I never really understood /why/ lots of people seem to dislike it. Especially in a series with humans & monsters being friends.

How does it not "fit"? It seems like the logical extreme of the trainer-Pokémon bond theme that's been so prevalent throughout the series. Not likely a League-sanctioned tactic due to the risks associated with its practice, but otherwise no stranger than anything else we've seen.

Yeah.. That's pretty much my exact thoughts. I mean, to be fair, they will have to go down this route eventually, but they should at least limit it to starters and maybe the mascots. People shouldn't really leave the franchise because of something that's to be expected. It's pretty much one of the next steps after Mega Evolution - spiritual or literal fusion.

This Pokemon can fuse with or turn into a weapon or armor or other kinds of power up for compatible Pokemon. The mechanic is that you have to include this weak Pokemon with kind of useless move on your team. Kind of like how Mega sacrifice an item slot.

That's a pretty cool idea! I kind want that now...

I kind of want them to make a weak Pokemon that can power up other compatible Pokemon. Something that kind of like the Shellder-Slowpoke but is battle only. This Pokemon can fuse with or turn into a weapon or armor or other kinds of power up for compatible Pokemon. The mechanic is that you have to include this weak Pokemon with kind of useless move on your team. Kind of like how Mega sacrifice an item slot.
I like the idea, but that sounds hella risky because you're sacrificing a party slot just to include them! That means you're essentially running with only 3 Pokémon in VGC formats!

I like the idea, but that sounds hella risky because you're sacrificing a party slot just to include them! That means you're essentially running with only 3 Pokémon in VGC formats!
It's just an idea. If it were real, I would make the mechanic give +200 or +300 BST or double 2 stats for the boosted Pokemon instead of +100 to offset the risk.

With an item, though? I'd say +300 is a BIT too much, so +200 would be ideal for that then. Still though, this could get Mega Rayquaza levels of ridiculous.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom