• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • We're launching a brand new series on the official Bulbagarden YouTube Channel! Watch here as AussieEevee attempts the Nuzlocke Challenge in HeartGold.

SPOILERS: The Difficulty Discussion (USUM)

Pyro Kicker
Reaction score
I can't say much about the difficulty, since I have yet to play the games, but are Trainers using Pokemon with incomplete movesets late in the game really necessary? It borders on lazy. In Generation IV, this wasn't a thing, and the games were challenging but still playable.
I wouldn't say it's lazy. More limited movesets make it easier for the AI to use a good move on the opponent.

Also, there are a couple Trainers who use interesting held items on their Pokémon. One that stuck to my mind (even though I also haven't yet properly played the game) is an Office Worker who uses a Clamperl holding an Eviolite. Can take some unprepared folks off-guard with its bulk.

Call of Fate
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's lazy. More limited movesets make it easier for the AI to use a good move on the opponent.
Yes, but again, in Generation IV games, they had full movesets, yet the AI was actually pretty smart when choosing moves.

Pyro Kicker
Reaction score
Yes, but again, in Generation IV games, they had full movesets, yet the AI was actually pretty smart when choosing moves.
While I can perfectly agree with that filling up entire movesets with good moves is a smart idea, I also say that this new way is another kind of smart. You'd be surprised how much coverage just three or even two moves can provide.

Face the Darkness
Reaction score
Yeah it only seems like gen 4 has better AI but the Pokemon AI has only ever been good at one thing, picking supereffective moves. Gen 4 didn't bother giving most AI trainers boosting moves. And when they did those moves were also part of an attack. The AI seemed smarter because most they never got stuck using the same useless move over and over again like can sometimes happen when you try to give AI trainers complex setup moves.

Now with a m̶e̶g̶a̶ Gigantamax
Reaction score
Yeah it only seems like gen 4 has better AI but the Pokemon AI has only ever been good at one thing, picking supereffective moves. Gen 4 didn't bother giving most AI trainers boosting moves. And when they did those moves were also part of an attack. The AI seemed smarter because most they never got stuck using the same useless move over and over again like can sometimes happen when you try to give AI trainers complex setup moves.
In USUM, I feel like the trainers just aren’t very bright regardless of how many moves they have. I was fighting... something, I don’t actually remember what. And I was using Lumineon. The opponent used fire punch, then ice punch, and then thunder punch. Obviously, they should’ve used thunder punch right away. But idk, it’s almost like they wanted to show off “hey, look, I have all 3 of these!”

Pyro Kicker
Reaction score
In USUM, I feel like the trainers just aren’t very bright regardless of how many moves they have. I was fighting... something, I don’t actually remember what. And I was using Lumineon. The opponent used fire punch, then ice punch, and then thunder punch. Obviously, they should’ve used thunder punch right away. But idk, it’s almost like they wanted to show off “hey, look, I have all 3 of these!”
Lusamine's Lopunny has all three. Was it that, maybe?

Now with a m̶e̶g̶a̶ Gigantamax
Reaction score
Lusamine's Lopunny has all three. Was it that, maybe?
Hm... lopunny does sound about right. I didn’t honk it was that late in the game, but it’s entirely possible. Idk, it just annoyed me. Like, girl coulda taken out one of my Pokémon in like one hit but instead decided to show off her moves.

Face the Darkness
Reaction score
Hm... lopunny does sound about right. I didn’t honk it was that late in the game, but it’s entirely possible. Idk, it just annoyed me. Like, girl coulda taken out one of my Pokémon in like one hit but instead decided to show off her moves.
It's funny you say that that lopunny did the same thing to me. But it was only ever that one. I wonder if Lusamine is programed to toy with you since she's the only person who failed to use super effective attacks when she should have.

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
It's funny you say that that lopunny did the same thing to me. But it was only ever that one. I wonder if Lusamine is programed to toy with you since she's the only person who failed to use super effective attacks when she should have.
I never did experience that. Against my Oranguru, she stuck with Lopunny's Dizzy Punch like she should have.

A different sort of jump in AI that I did notice was when I started my E4 challenge against Molayne's Klefki. I lead with Rotom to block the horrible priority Thunder Wave and he, without fail, has always switched out to Dugtrio in every battle.

It may look like I'm overreacting a little bit, but I've never seen an opponent's AI be so consistent with Pokémon switching. It's usually a one-time thing for me.