• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers The Difficulty Discussion (USUM)

I can't say much about the difficulty, since I have yet to play the games, but are Trainers using Pokemon with incomplete movesets late in the game really necessary? It borders on lazy. In Generation IV, this wasn't a thing, and the games were challenging but still playable.
I wouldn't say it's lazy. More limited movesets make it easier for the AI to use a good move on the opponent.

Also, there are a couple Trainers who use interesting held items on their Pokémon. One that stuck to my mind (even though I also haven't yet properly played the game) is an Office Worker who uses a Clamperl holding an Eviolite. Can take some unprepared folks off-guard with its bulk.

I wouldn't say it's lazy. More limited movesets make it easier for the AI to use a good move on the opponent.
Yes, but again, in Generation IV games, they had full movesets, yet the AI was actually pretty smart when choosing moves.

Yes, but again, in Generation IV games, they had full movesets, yet the AI was actually pretty smart when choosing moves.
While I can perfectly agree with that filling up entire movesets with good moves is a smart idea, I also say that this new way is another kind of smart. You'd be surprised how much coverage just three or even two moves can provide.

Yeah it only seems like gen 4 has better AI but the Pokemon AI has only ever been good at one thing, picking supereffective moves. Gen 4 didn't bother giving most AI trainers boosting moves. And when they did those moves were also part of an attack. The AI seemed smarter because most they never got stuck using the same useless move over and over again like can sometimes happen when you try to give AI trainers complex setup moves.

Yeah it only seems like gen 4 has better AI but the Pokemon AI has only ever been good at one thing, picking supereffective moves. Gen 4 didn't bother giving most AI trainers boosting moves. And when they did those moves were also part of an attack. The AI seemed smarter because most they never got stuck using the same useless move over and over again like can sometimes happen when you try to give AI trainers complex setup moves.
In USUM, I feel like the trainers just aren’t very bright regardless of how many moves they have. I was fighting... something, I don’t actually remember what. And I was using Lumineon. The opponent used fire punch, then ice punch, and then thunder punch. Obviously, they should’ve used thunder punch right away. But idk, it’s almost like they wanted to show off “hey, look, I have all 3 of these!”

In USUM, I feel like the trainers just aren’t very bright regardless of how many moves they have. I was fighting... something, I don’t actually remember what. And I was using Lumineon. The opponent used fire punch, then ice punch, and then thunder punch. Obviously, they should’ve used thunder punch right away. But idk, it’s almost like they wanted to show off “hey, look, I have all 3 of these!”
Lusamine's Lopunny has all three. Was it that, maybe?

Hm... lopunny does sound about right. I didn’t honk it was that late in the game, but it’s entirely possible. Idk, it just annoyed me. Like, girl coulda taken out one of my Pokémon in like one hit but instead decided to show off her moves.

It's funny you say that that lopunny did the same thing to me. But it was only ever that one. I wonder if Lusamine is programed to toy with you since she's the only person who failed to use super effective attacks when she should have.

It's funny you say that that lopunny did the same thing to me. But it was only ever that one. I wonder if Lusamine is programed to toy with you since she's the only person who failed to use super effective attacks when she should have.
I never did experience that. Against my Oranguru, she stuck with Lopunny's Dizzy Punch like she should have.

A different sort of jump in AI that I did notice was when I started my E4 challenge against Molayne's Klefki. I lead with Rotom to block the horrible priority Thunder Wave and he, without fail, has always switched out to Dugtrio in every battle.

It may look like I'm overreacting a little bit, but I've never seen an opponent's AI be so consistent with Pokémon switching. It's usually a one-time thing for me.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom