• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Elemental Masters

Patrick Haines

Lone Scribe for the Lord of Time
Reaction score
After reading all of the posts about gym leaders, it has become obvious to me that their purpose isn’t necessarily to be the strongest or best in each type. They are just meant to test trainers and help them grow. As such, I think it would be fun if the games had a challenge (post- Elite Four) centered around defeating the best possible teams of each type.

I suppose it is similar to what LGPE did with the Master Trainers, but it would be a full team of six Pokémon in a single type. I prefer the term Elemental Masters, though Super Gym Leader has been thrown around too. My question to you…what do you think they best team for each single type would be?

One of two at a time please, don’t post all sixteen. Move sets, abilities, ect are cool, but not necessary. Please don’t just pick your six favorites either. Or the six Pokémon with the highest stats.

Pokémon that cover each others weaknesses, a mix of physical and special attacks, a weather team, ect. Some sort of set strategy.

I did Water. The top four of this team has won 50+ battles in Battle Tree.

Pelipper—Drizzle—Bold—252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD—Damp Rock
Hurricane—Scald—Protect—Tailwind

Coverage—Fi, Wa, El, Ic, Gr, Po, Gh, St, Fg, No, Fl, Ro, Gu, Bu, Dr, Da, Ps, Fa
Weaknesses—Fi, Wa, El, Ic, Gr, Po, Gh, St, Fg, No, Fl, Ro, Gu, Bu, Dr, Da, Ps, Fa

Kingdra—Swift Swim—Modest—4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spd—Choice Specs
Draco Meteor—Dragon Pulse—Ice Beam—Hydro Pump

Weaknesses—Fi, Wa, El, Ic, Gr, Po, Gh, St, Fg, No, Fl, Ro, Gu, Bu, Dr, Da, Ps, Fa

Swampert—Torrent (Swift Swim)—Adamant??—4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd-Swampertite
Earthquake—Rock Slide—Waterfall—Protect

Wash Rotom—Levitate—Timid—4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spd—Electrium Z
Thunder—Shadow Ball—Hydro Pump—Discharge

Tentacruel—Rain Dish—Timid—252 HP, 112 Def, 144 SpD—Leftovers (Black Sludge)
Protect—Sludge Wave—Toxic Spikes—Rain Dance

Gyarados—Moxie—Jolly—4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd—Focus Sash
Earthquake, Dragon Dance, Brutal Swing, Waterfall

—————————————————————————————————————————

Team

In general, the team has excellent team typing. None of the Pokémon in use have both of the primary Water weaknesses (Grass, Electric) and only Pelipper/Gyarados share weaknesses. Although three are weak to Electric, Swampert is immune. Two Grass weaknesses can be difficult to work around at times, but there is coverage for both the Rock- and Grass-types that could be threatening. Other than that, there are only four secondary weaknesses (Ground, Dragon, Psychic Fairy) and none of them have more than two total weaknesses.

From an attacking standpoint, there is a lot of water, but it can go a long way with STAB and Rain. Waterfall can flinch, Scald can burn, and Hydro Pump can flat out wreck people. There is plenty of secondary STAB as well (Sludge Wave, Thunder, Earthquake, Draco Meteor) and only two basic types aren’t covered at all (Dark, Normal). As this is a Doubles Rain Team, there is also plenty of full field coverage (Earthquake, Rock Slide, Brutal Swing, Discharge), though ironically, no Surf.

The strategy is pretty straightforward. Lead with Pelipper and Kingdra. Pelipper sets extended Rain, giving Kingdra a speed boost. With Choice Specs, Kingdra can hit a lot fast and hard. Do the damage that you can and switch out/faint. Pelipper needs protection, as it is the primary Rain setter. It carries Protect to bait early Electric moves and then switch to Swampert when they try again on turn two. If the circumstances are right, Hurricane on Grass-types because they can be dangerous to Swampert, as it is the main damager.

Get Swampert in an an Electric attack or when Kingdra faints, Mega Evolve and start hammering people. He has excellent coverage, power, and speed, just avoid Grass-types. He carries Protect to stall if he needs to stay in with a Grass-type, so something like Ice Beam or Hurricane can finish off a weakened one. STAB Earthquake is huge because it hits both opponents, Rotom/Gyarados/Pelipper are unaffected and Tentacruel can Protect.

Rain support is imperative because the two biggest damagers are Kingdra and Mega Swampert. If Rain is lost, switch Pelipper back in carefully. If you have a free turn before the end of rain, Tentacruel is an option. It is built to take a couple of hits, potentially set Toxic Spikes for chip damage and keep rain going. Sludge Wave won’t do a ton of damage, but works in conjunction with Protect on Pelipper/Mega Swampert. Protect, in addition to blocking team attacks, aids healing with Leftovers/Black Sludge and Rain Dish.

Gyarados is around as an extra damager if Mega Swampert is lost. After a Dragon Dance, he can do quite a bit and runs almost exactly the same role (Earthquake/Waterfall). It is best to get him in with a quick KO available. Focus Sash can potentially get him a DD, though it is harder in Doubles, and a Moxie boost adds to his damage output. He is designed to be a one off, so no switching, making Moxie better than Intimidate. If Gyarados can also catch a Tail Wind with its other boosts, all the better.

Wash Rotom is possibly the most important tool in the set. He does something that none of the other Pokémon can do…hit Water-types. Thunder is 100% in the Rain, Discharge works in conjunction with Mega Swampert’s immunity and Tentacruel/Gyarados/Pelipper Protect. Shadow Ball can do a little damage, but Brutal swing is normally better. Late game Tail Winds can also boost a decent speed.

It takes some practice, but the team has proven to be extremely effective. Numerous strong resistances, a couple of immunities, and proper prediction allow for good switching to keep synergy going. Rain helps covers the Speed problem of Kingdra/Mega Swampert, the power problem of Rotom, and can aid Tentacruel’s bulk. Most of the Pokémon have enough bulk for a hit or two, which is all they need to do their jobs properly.

These types of teams of the ones I would like to challenge myself with in the post-game. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

While I'm not familiar with LGPE's iteration of Master Trainers (I do know that they were experts in pretty much one type and you had to fight them using the same Pokemon I believe, but that's about the extent of it), I've long since wanted something a bit more challenging than Gym Leaders without having to go through the Elite Four 50 million times. I suppose this hypothetical Elemental Masters would do, however personally I'd cap them at like... Lv. 80 or something to provide an adequate challenge for those who are still wanting to grind to Lv. 100 (since it's hard to do that these days....)

I hadn't thought too much about levels, just about facing someone with a real strategy. I think putting them 5-10 levels above the Elite Four would be good, making them the next step in the chain and good for leveling as well. Lv 100 is too high and that is what the Battle Tree/Frontier/ect. are for anyway.

I have always been intrigued by level matching as well. The opponent's Pokémon don't have set levels, but are all set to the level of your highest Pokémon.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom