• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The End of Pokemon Journeys Predictions

Ash will never complete his goal, because Pokemon Master is a vague and undefined title.

This means the anime will end without Ash becoming a Pokemon Master. After all, Ash couldn't become something the writers don't want to define.
It's vague because that is the point of a mystery. We don't exactly know what a Pokemon master is, but we know it doesn't just mean "the strongest". It's the mystery that keeps Ash's journey going until the end. As long as pokemon keeps going, that mystery will keep going. So Ash's journey will keep going until the end.

Ash will never complete his goal, because Pokemon Master is a vague and undefined title.

This means the anime will end without Ash becoming a Pokemon Master. After all, Ash couldn't become something the writers don't want to define.
That’s literally the point. By not defining what the goal is, they can keep pushing the character on.

Ash is retired as a character due to his status as a world champion (Equivalent to Pokémon master) and we would either see someone else take the center stage for the Gen IX series and beyond. Especially since the game is set in a school setting from the very start doesn't make sense for ash to hits the books again since again "world champion" title and they already did the same exact trope from the previous Gen anime. He have to defend that covenant title somehow

the downside of this is a lot of changes would happened from our favorite jessie, James and meowth also won't be appearing anymore. (Then again they might have admit defeat since they also witness Ash winning and getting the world champion title)
Becoming a World Champion has never been considered the equivalent of being a Pokemon Master. Throughout the series, Leon was never referred to as a Pokemon Master. Just the number one ranked trainer in the PWC or the current Monarch. We don't know how they'd use the school setting, so it wouldn't necessarily be a repeat of the Pokemon School in SM, especially when that was more of background just to keep the main cast in one place as opposed to a school. After the first year of SM, I don't think we saw any other students besides those in the main cast.

I don't know about Ash defending his title. I really can't see them just restarting the PWC all over again. They rushed through a good chuck of the tournament and I don't see them just repeating the tournament forever just for Ash to defend his title. Plus, it makes more sense for Ash's personality to keep on traveling instead. As for Team Rocket, if anything, seeing Pikachu defeat Leon's Charizard would make them want to get it even more, so I don't think that they'd just admit defeat.

plus considering the entire thing is aired in japan to a point you can see the battle in billboards as well. I kinda doubt they can now get away with nerfing ash again. it would be a riot online.
If any I know ash is a staple in the pokemon anime but.. the franchise is already 25 years old now. and old fans leaves and replace with new ones.
I don't know if nerfing Ash would be that bad. Another Pikachu vs. Snivy would be bad, but that would have been bad regardless of the PWC. That would be bad in any series after the first one. Ash starting off with a fresh new team wouldn't automatically make them capable of taking down Champions and like I've said before, it would be boring if Ash was never allowed to lose again. I think that a nerf could be reasonably handled, although perhaps still not ideal.

The anime does have new fans coming in with every generation, but that doesn't change how recognizable and iconic Ash is. The anime has always been about Ash and Pikachu's adventures together with their friends. It feels way too late to just change him after twenty five years.

I must say when Pikachu fainted and we heard in thw flash the character as a rookie starting with Pikachu I was like.. OMG is that a new trainer for the next season of SV? I don't know why but I realy don't like that idea anymore. Wish ash whould stay, it should npt be hard to make a new path for the goal..

I agree with what some people have already said: Pokemon battles have peaked, and it wouldn't be smart to emulate a moment like that so soon. Paldea being filled with champion equivalents would feel like a retread of the Masters 8, and I don't think they'd want to destroy Cynthia and Steven's reputation like that by showing them as inferior to some randos. A semi-reboot would also be very dangerous to the anime's reputation, and on retrospect they have only done it twice (Hoenn and Unova) when the franchise itself went through similar semi-reboots. Also, both happened more than 10 years ago, so I think we can rule that out.

I think we are left with the following possible futures (from likeliest to less likely):
1. Ash is an active protagonist in the series but not as a battler. e.g: Ash is not doing battles but something else, and could be accompained by a new young battler.
2. Ash is inactive in the series but appears as a constant presence. e.g: He gets lots in a portal of the multiverse or whatever and some characters have to bring him back (like the Yellow Arc from the Adventures manga). This allows the writers to take a break from Ash but he can still appear in merchandise and promotion.
3. A full reboot with a new Ash or a new trainer.
4. The anime ends.

I think we are left with the following possible futures (from likeliest to less likely):
1. Ash is an active protagonist in the series but not as a battler. e.g: Ash is not doing battles but something else, and could be accompained by a new young battler.
2. Ash is inactive in the series but appears as a constant presence. e.g: He gets lots in a portal of the multiverse or whatever and some characters have to bring him back (like the Yellow Arc from the Adventures manga). This allows the writers to take a break from Ash but he can still appear in merchandise and promotion.
4. The anime ends.
Ash could still be there in a sense but downgraded to a minor character now. Being a world champion also have responsibility on top of it similar to how Leon always been busy because of being a now former world champion ash is now and the possibilities of basically everyone fangirling when he visit a town or city (People going to called him "world champion" from now on) I know he was a champion in the Alola region but even goh have no idea he is a champion in Alola, and world champion is a different title and it would be a newsprint worthy article across the pokemon world.

would be really really stupid for him to be slapped with a semi-reboot because again people would get completely confused now.

for me signs pointing he will be in situation #1 or #2. situation #4 is impossible since the anime is technically marketing for the video game series.

there a chance for a complete anime reboot also give the pokemon company a chance to have the same day as japan release for the anime series. Since they are doing it to the video games series now.

Let’s be real, the writers aren’t about to change Ash from a battler to something else. Not only with the fact that they made the point of having Ash act as the battle representative for that aspect of the series to Go’s catching but it wouldn’t even make sense given Ash’s personality and love of battles to just suddenly do something different just because he won the PWC. He’s a 10 year old who has pursued a passion in battle to the point that it resonated with those h’s met over that time. He’s not about to change that focus to something else.

I agree with what some people have already said: Pokemon battles have peaked, and it wouldn't be smart to emulate a moment like that so soon. Paldea being filled with champion equivalents would feel like a retread of the Masters 8, and I don't think they'd want to destroy Cynthia and Steven's reputation like that by showing them as inferior to some randos. A semi-reboot would also be very dangerous to the anime's reputation, and on retrospect they have only done it twice (Hoenn and Unova) when the franchise itself went through similar semi-reboots. Also, both happened more than 10 years ago, so I think we can rule that out.

4. The anime ends.
I think it will be 2 with Ash having a supporting role and being a reoccurring character that helps the protagonist (kind of like Cynthia in DP/Leon)

It's vague because that is the point of a mystery. We don't exactly know what a Pokemon master is, but we know it doesn't just mean "the strongest". It's the mystery that keeps Ash's journey going until the end. As long as pokemon keeps going, that mystery will keep going. So Ash's journey will keep going until the end.
Eh there was an interview where one of the writers (or someone involved with the show) said 'Pokemon Master' is basically just a boyhood fantasy of adventure. There's no mystery. It's just "more"

The thing with having a vague goal like that is that the writers can use it to justify anything he may try by saying that it is the next/another step towards becoming a Pokemon Master.

There is no need to trap the characters in a neverending setting that would allow them to reach what they aim to be.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom