• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The English dub is being released too slowly to be an effective promotional tool in 2020

Which obviously doesn't matter for the games since they sell so well, anyway. SM sold better in the US than in Japan. Could a faster anime localization make the games even more successful? I am not convinced. XY marked the beginning of simultaneous releases, but they also started much more efficient online promotional trends that have nothing to do with the anime. And uh, the current anime series is hardly focused on SwSh to begin with.

As for merchandise, it might exist in the west but nowhere near to the same extent as in Japan. A 4-month delay is not the issue in this department, especially as the merchandise and TCG are delayed, too.

It obviously has SOME effect since they still bother to dub it. So clearly they're making enough money off of the dub to warrant its existence.

As for your question, I've got a simple yet promising suggestion: How about releasing the latest Japanese epsiodes (subbed!) right after they've aired in Japan on a paid subscription basis? Netflix and Amazon Prime are highly successful and demonstrate how this model can work. Also, I'm convinced many fans (me included) would be willing to pay a small amount of money if they got their favorite series with subtitles and, above all, in time. However, this should have been done much earlier because as long as you get the latest subbed episode on the internet that easily, I doubt people will be willing to pay all of a sudden.

Plus, some international versions have got some terrible voice actors that I'm sure most fans wouldn't bother if they got the Japanese version as long as it it's subtitled

Wow, came here to post the same! The Pocket Monsters series should move to Netflix so we get simulSUB every week like other anime get on Crunchyroll, Funimation, etc, that would be cool!

My question is when is the new series starting in Latin America? (we depend on the US dub I know) I haven't checked but last time I tuned on Cartoon Network, a couple of weeks ago, the Lana vs Mallow league battle was going on, so Sun&Moon is in its final stretch.

My question is when is the new series starting in Latin America? (we depend on the US dub I know) I haven't checked but last time I tuned on Cartoon Network, a couple of weeks ago, the Lana vs Mallow league battle was going on, so Sun&Moon is in its final stretch.

This week and the next one 7 new Sun & Moon episodes will air. It's still unknown when the final 4 will air.
The new series will likely start around June as it has happened in 2017, 2018 & 2019.

While I don't believe the Pokémon dub is at risk of cancellation anytime soon, I do have to wonder just how effective it advertising-wise. Sword and Shield came out over three months ago and we are still getting through Season 22. Unlike XY and SM, TPCi didn't bother even having a "sneak peek" of Season 23 this time around, which I consider to be a step back. It also took unusually long for a set date to be placed for Movie 22, but at the loss of theater showings which I consider another step back.

So even though the Pokémon dub isn't going anywhere anytime soon, I believe we are seeing signs of it's advertising strength weakening internarionally and TPCi is adjusting the budget accordingly. That being said, I no longer consider Pokémon dub's longevity to be impenetrable either and wouldn't be surprised if we see more red flags in the near future.

While I don't believe the Pokémon dub is at risk of cancellation anytime soon, I do have to wonder just how effective it advertising-wise. Sword and Shield came out over three months ago and we are still getting through Season 22. Unlike XY and SM, TPCi didn't bother even having a "sneak peek" of Season 23 this time around, which I consider to be a step back. It also took unusually long for a set date to be placed for Movie 22, but at the loss of theater showings which I consider another step back.

So even though the Pokémon dub isn't going anywhere anytime soon, I believe we are seeing signs of it's advertising strength weakening internarionally and TPCi is adjusting the budget accordingly. That being said, I no longer consider Pokémon dub's longevity to be impenetrable either and wouldn't be surprised if we see more red flags in the near future.
The loss of the English dub may lead to a decrease in new child fans, because a lot of them get into the series through the anime.

While not getting a sneak peak of PM is disappointing, I don't know if that necessarily is a red flag for the dub's advertising. They most likely didn't have a sneak peak because the first two episodes don't really promote Sword/Shield. Taking so long to release the Mewtwo remake is more questionable, but I'm also positive that there was more behind the scenes issues with that. Maybe it was originally planned to be in theaters, but then the Netflix deal came in at the last minute and the chance to release a new Pokemon movie on a popular streaming platform on Pokemon Day might have been too tempting of an offer for TPCI to turn it down. It might have been more concerning if this was a brand new movie instead of a remake.

The loss of the English dub may lead to a decrease in new child fans, because a lot of them get into the series through the anime.

I got into the franchise through the anime. Granted, that was back during its peak in popularity, so I don't know if it is that common now, but I wouldn't be surprised if kids watching the anime help to get them more into the video games too.

While the English dub possibly being delayed due to COVID-19 is of course understandable, and the health and safety of its staff and loved ones of course takes priority over a TV show, this whole crisis is also highlighting just how much TPCI putting all its eggs in one basket isn't the best of the franchise.

TPCI really should have been offering legal subs of the new series, especially given the current climate.

Tbh I think that the reason why TPCi refuses to offer legal subs is because there isn't enough demand for that sort of thing. I figure that the majority of the international audience is made up of young kids anyway and kids typically don't like subtitles because they hate reading. So TPCi probably doesn't want to bother offering subs if the main audience isn't going to take advantage of it.

Tbh I think that the reason why TPCi refuses to offer legal subs is because there isn't enough demand for that sort of thing. I figure that the majority of the international audience is made up of young kids anyway and kids typically don't like subtitles because they hate reading. So TPCi probably doesn't want to bother offering subs if the main audience isn't going to take advantage of it.
That's extremely narrow-minded of them, as I'm reasonably sure that the vast majority of their western audience is over the age of 20 with kids of their own

"Nobody wants this." they say as millions of voices demand it

That sounds like it could be their mentality. It's always about money with them so it's likely that they don't want to waste money on an investment that might not pay off.

kids typically don't like subtitles because they hate reading

1586980169477.png

Is there any data that proves this? Or a study, maybe? 'Cause I know for a fact that me, my friends and my classmates/schoolmates used to watch subbed shows back when I was in school, since most of them weren't (and still aren't, with most of the stuff on Netflix being subbed instead) dubbed in my country. And none of us ever complained that it's so terrible because we have to read what the characters are saying and that we hate reading. Heck, even my 10 years old sister prefers subs over dubs when it comes to anime.

View attachment 132354

Is there any data that proves this? Or a study, maybe? 'Cause I know for a fact that me, my friends and my classmates/schoolmates used to watch subbed shows back when I was in school, since most of them weren't (and still aren't, with most of the stuff on Netflix being subbed instead) dubbed in my country. And none of us ever complained that it's so terrible because we have to read what the characters are saying and that we hate reading. Heck, even my 10 years old sister prefers subs over dubs when it comes to anime.

I'm assuming that you're being facetious or just trying to give me a hard time like Panky and whoever else constantly stalks my posts looking for things to nitpick over, but here you go. You can find all kinds of information about the subject in just a few clicks. I'm not going to pull every single literacy study that can be found just to justify some common sense; if you think that most kids would prefer subs instead of their respective dubs, then I don't know what to tell you.

Back
Top Bottom