• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

Yes but after building up a reputation of being an honest person and then throwing it all away for one little joke? Seems kinda pointless to me, but I guess all we can do is wait and see.
Like I said before, you can never tell someone's true intentions. He might not care about the credibility he built up from last generation and is using it to get people to believe in a lie.

And if it's true that he was fired after leaking the BW Pokedex...

Yes, but like you said, they did retcon them. Besides, if Fairy is to be a new type I think a good fair few dual typed Pokémon could have a type replaced. Celebi for example, could change from Grass/Psychic to Grass/Fairy.
There were only two Pokemon that had their types retconned to include a different type... if the "Fairy"-type is added, it would likely require closer to one hundred, making me seriously wonder what the point is, and further question the likelihood of said type.

I thought Hiro said the flying thing was just his speculation back around the time he originally said it.
He "confirmed" it two days ago.

Is there a screenshot of his confirmation? Looks like he locked his Twitter account. Also, he's Spanish, and that's my native language, so I can check by myself if he "confirmed" or just speculated.

Yes, but like you said, they did retcon them. Besides, if Fairy is to be a new type I think a good fair few dual typed Pokémon could have a type replaced. Celebi for example, could change from Grass/Psychic to Grass/Fairy.
There were only two Pokemon that had their types retconned to include a different type... if the "Fairy"-type is added, it would likely require closer to one hundred, making me seriously wonder what the point is, and further question the likelihood of said type.

The least common type as of right now is Ghost type. There are only 27 Ghost type Pokémon. I don't see why they should even retcon a number of pokémon that's way bigger than 30 to make a new type make sense... Besides, How hard is it to retcon older Pokémon for GF? I think it would be harder for older fans to face a change in the type of old pokémon and moves than for the Game Freak staff itself.

Is there a screenshot of his confirmation? Looks like he locked his Twitter account. Also, he's Spanish, and that's my native language, so I can check by myself if he "confirmed" or just speculated.
He posted about it in English at 4chan, but by now the thread has been deleted. Judging from this thread, he didn't present the rumor as speculation. Here's what Serebii said about it:

He's living very, very dangerously if he does this. Melkor lost his job at ONM (though helps here and there) from his leaks, and I almost got legally screwed from reposting that.

This guy works at ONM and is publically revealing information with his name tied to it. If he is indeed telling the truth (I don't believe he is, mind you, he has just been stating obvious things such as the Mewtwo form being Mewtwo. he has got things wrong like saying Smash would have a new Pokémon and box-arts), then he won't be doing it for long.

It's one thing to repost anonymous leaks, it's another to publically reveal you're leaking stuff.

The supposed leak images aren't loading... just a word to the wise, hotlinking stuff from 4chan isn't the best idea.

The least common type as of right now is Ghost type. There are only 27 Ghost type Pokémon. I don't see why they should even retcon a number of pokémon that's way bigger than 30 to make a new type make sense...
There are only 27 Pokemon that can be accurately described as Ghost-like enough for the Ghost-type. There are considerably more "Fairy"-like Pokemon that could be described as the "Fairy"-type. This isn't about establishing enough Pokemon to make the typing credible; it's about retconning Pokemon, that fit the typing, to the typing.

Besides, How hard is it to retcon older Pokémon for GF? I think it would be harder for older fans to face a change in the type of old pokémon and moves than for the Game Freak staff itself.
I think it all depends on how it is handled.

If it happens.

There are considerably more "Fairy"-like Pokemon that could be described as the "Fairy"-type. This isn't about establishing enough Pokemon to make the typing credible; it's about retconning Pokemon, that fit the typing, to the typing.

Pokemon that may seem like they could be Fairy-types are not necessarily going to be given it (if the type is even real, of course).Just look at Samurott: pure Water when it could easily fit Water/Fighting. Or maybe Eelektross: based on an underwater creature, yet is pure Electric. Stunfisk, also a fish, is a Ground/Electric with no Water type. Gligar, Gliscor, Drapion and Flygon, all based on insects, yet no Bug-typing. The Sandile line and the Hippopotas line are based on creatures that are water-dwellers, yet they don't have the Water-type despite that.

Looking like or described like a Fairy-type =/= being retconned into a Fairy-type.

The least common type as of right now is Ghost type. There are only 27 Ghost type Pokémon. I don't see why they should even retcon a number of pokémon that's way bigger than 30 to make a new type make sense...
There are only 27 Pokemon that can be accurately described as Ghost-like enough for the Ghost-type. There are considerably more "Fairy"-like Pokemon that could be described as the "Fairy"-type. This isn't about establishing enough Pokemon to make the typing credible; it's about retconning Pokemon, that fit the typing, to the typing.

Like I said before, not necessarily every Pokémon that matches a type must have, it has never been a rule, just check the amount of flying bugs and dragons that are not actually flying types. I'm guessing that if they actually introduce this Fairy Type they'll only change the type of Normal pokémon and add a secondary type to single typed pokémon that match the fairy theme.

Spanish is my native language too, and yes, he confirmed that Flying was its typing, not only on twitter but other places too, like this post in a forum where he posts as F_Lombardi.

I do believe him though, but I must say that those who don't have a point. I don't know why he said Flying first and now Fairy, he could have kept his mouth shut on the subject.

Looking like or described like a Fairy-type =/= being retconned into [or added as] a Fairy-type.
I agree with you, and felt like shortening your post with some slight editing.

He posted about it in English at 4chan, but by now the thread has been deleted. Judging from this thread, he didn't present the rumor as speculation. Here's what Serebii said about it:

He's living very, very dangerously if he does this. Melkor lost his job at ONM (though helps here and there) from his leaks, and I almost got legally screwed from reposting that.

This guy works at ONM and is publically revealing information with his name tied to it. If he is indeed telling the truth (I don't believe he is, mind you, he has just been stating obvious things such as the Mewtwo form being Mewtwo. he has got things wrong like saying Smash would have a new Pokémon and box-arts), then he won't be doing it for long.

It's one thing to repost anonymous leaks, it's another to publically reveal you're leaking stuff.

4chan?

If 4chan is a source, there's nothing else to talk about it.

If 4chan is a source, there's nothing else to talk about it.
You shouldn't dismiss the rumor for that. The source is Hiro, and he apparently posts his information at various places on the Internet, as Macos noted.

The fact that Hiro changed his report after just two days is what's suspicious here. Not only that, but he would most likely get in serious trouble for posting valid information. So if anything, perhaps we can rule out Flying and Fairy from the list of candidates for Sylveon's type.

Macos said:
I do believe him though, but I must say that those who don't have a point. I don't know why he said Flying first and now Fairy, he could have kept his mouth shut on the subject.
Has he explained the change?

After stalking Hiro's twitter account it feels more like he believed, rather than knew, that Sylveon's type would be Flying.

After stalking Hiro's twitter account it feels more like he believed, rather than knew, that Sylveon's type would be Flying.

I was coming to post that. Hiro states he thinks the wing-shaped pattern in this picture, could be an allusion to Flying. So, nothing "confirming", just speculated.

Anyway I asked him about that, I hope he'll answer. Today questions must be falling to him like bullets.

EDIT: OK, for a while I forgot Hiro's twitter is locked. The screenshot is here. Translation: "Clearly that circle is egg-shaped, but I think it's another alusion to Flying type"

Last edited:

Has he explained the change?

He posted on a forum that he couldn't reveal its typing, so that's why he went with Flying. He also said that he would have liked to reveal the types before, but he deemed it too risky because Game Freak has been very secretive about them.

He also said that he would have liked to reveal the types before, but he deemed it too risky because Game Freak has been very secretive about them.
So why isn't it risky now?

I suspect that some leaks are intentionally released from GF or Nintendo to create hype and the attention centers around Pokémon. Maybe Hiro (who apparently works for Nintendo Europe) wasn't authorized to leak this, and today he was.

Another option, is that by Wednesday, too few employees were aware of this info, and he could've been easily spotted as the "leaker".

Another, much more likely, option is that he isn't telling the truth. He wouldn't be putting his job at risk (possibly at all), if he's not actually leaking anything.

Another, much more likely, option is that he isn't telling the truth. He wouldn't be putting his job at risk (possibly at all), if he's not actually leaking anything.

That would be very likely, if Hiro hadn't a history as a leaker. The entire BW pokédex, for example.

Still nothing is completely impossible, but some things are more likely than others, and in this case it's someone already known.

That would be likely, if Hiro hadn't a history as a leaker. The entire BW pokédex, for example.
Isn't that his only history as a leaker?

And, as I, among others, have mentioned, there's some pretty good reasons to doubt his credibility on this subject. I'm still unsure if he's even employed by the company still, as per an earlier post.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom