• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

Here's an idea I had for a new type that Ninfia, considering its name might come from nymph, could belong to...

Fairy Type.

Basically, there are quite a few Normal Pokemon who I consider to be a bit...um...surpassing "normal" as, while they don't have any distinct elemental powers, they stand out when compared against the usual Normal Pokemon based on terrestrial animals. Fairy would be the counterpart to Dark as Fairy Pokemon would tend to be friendly and helpful, which is a better counterpart for Dark which tends to be associated with personality more so than an Elemental power. Here are the old Pokemon I think could be changed to this new type...

* Cleffa, Clefairy, and Clefable
* Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, and Wigglytuff
* Happiny, Chansey, and Blissey
* Togepi, Togetic, and Togekiss (Fairy/Flying)
* Dunsparce (because it's based off a mythical creature)
* Snubull and Granbull
* Whismur, Loudred, and Exploud
* Skitty and Delcatty
* Audino

And Ninfia would be the Eeveelution. I was also thinking perhaps Xerneas could fit in this category as well, being some sort of "Fair Folk" Forest Guardian. I kind of got this idea since we may see areas inspired by European forests where Fairies are often said to live, if my speculation of the region incorporating more than just France comes true.

So, mainly Pokemon within the Fairy Egg Group, but not all of them (I feel changing Normal-typing, the "blank slate type" so to speak, to Fairy is a reasonable change more so than changing other types), plus a few others. And of course we'd get a few new Fairy Pokemon.

I was thinking, for Type Advantage...

* Fairy Pokemon are IMMUNE to Dark-types. Well, they're too pure to be affected by Dark Pokemon.
* Fairy Pokemon RESIST Psychic-types and Dragon-types. I thought being resistant to other "fantasy" types would be a cool little theme.
* Fairy Pokemon are WEAK to Bug-types, Poison-types, and Ghost-types. I just thought those types are kind of what little fairies would be afraid of, plus I wanted another type for Bug and Poison to be good against.

Also, quite a few Normal Moves would be changed to Fairy-type. Fairy-type Moves would often be support moves, or ones that don't necessarily hurt the foe, but weaken them through other means.

After You
Attract
Captivate
Charm
DoubleSlap (since it's the signature move of Clefairy and Jiggs sort of)
Entrainment
Follow Me
Heal Bell
Helping Hand
Lovely Kiss
Lucky Chant
Moonlight
Present
Recover
Refresh
Safeguard
Sing
Sweet Kiss
Teeter Dance
Tickle
Wish

This wouldn't really radically change the game, since only Present and DoubleSlap are damaging moves, but would be more so for flavor. And they'd of course introduce more new moves in Gen VI.

Thoughts?

That's pretty much what I and a lot of other people envision "Light-type" to potentially be. I doubt they'll do it, but yeah - it still freaks me out that Pokemon like Clefable are "Normal-type" Pokemon. They're FAIRIES FROM SPACE. That's pretty damn far away from normal things like pigeons, rats, and cows. : S

Here's an idea I had for a new type that Ninfia, considering its name might come from nymph, could belong to...

Fairy Type.

Basically, there are quite a few Normal Pokemon who I consider to be a bit...um...surpassing "normal" as, while they don't have any distinct elemental powers, they stand out when compared against the usual Normal Pokemon based on terrestrial animals. Fairy would be the counterpart to Dark as Fairy Pokemon would tend to be friendly and helpful, which is a better counterpart for Dark which tends to be associated with personality more so than an Elemental power. Here are the old Pokemon I think could be changed to this new type...

* Cleffa, Clefairy, and Clefable
* Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, and Wigglytuff
* Happiny, Chansey, and Blissey
* Togepi, Togetic, and Togekiss (Fairy/Flying)
* Dunsparce (because it's based off a mythical creature)
* Snubull and Granbull
* Whismur, Loudred, and Exploud
* Skitty and Delcatty
* Audino

And Ninfia would be the Eeveelution. I was also thinking perhaps Xerneas could fit in this category as well, being some sort of "Fair Folk" Forest Guardian. I kind of got this idea since we may see areas inspired by European forests where Fairies are often said to live, if my speculation of the region incorporating more than just France comes true.

So, mainly Pokemon within the Fairy Egg Group, but not all of them (I feel changing Normal-typing, the "blank slate type" so to speak, to Fairy is a reasonable change more so than changing other types), plus a few others. And of course we'd get a few new Fairy Pokemon.

I was thinking, for Type Advantage...

* Fairy Pokemon are IMMUNE to Dark-types. Well, they're too pure to be affected by Dark Pokemon.
* Fairy Pokemon RESIST Psychic-types and Dragon-types. I thought being resistant to other "fantasy" types would be a cool little theme.
* Fairy Pokemon are WEAK to Bug-types, Poison-types, and Ghost-types. I just thought those types are kind of what little fairies would be afraid of, plus I wanted another type for Bug and Poison to be good against.

Also, quite a few Normal Moves would be changed to Fairy-type. Fairy-type Moves would often be support moves, or ones that don't necessarily hurt the foe, but weaken them through other means.

After You
Attract
Captivate
Charm
DoubleSlap (since it's the signature move of Clefairy and Jiggs sort of)
Entrainment
Follow Me
Heal Bell
Helping Hand
Lovely Kiss
Lucky Chant
Moonlight
Present
Recover
Refresh
Safeguard
Sing
Sweet Kiss
Teeter Dance
Tickle
Wish

This wouldn't really radically change the game, since only Present and DoubleSlap are damaging moves, but would be more so for flavor. And they'd of course introduce more new moves in Gen VI.

Thoughts?

Normal- Fine.
Grass- Take away the weakness to Flying, it really makes no sense, unless one counts birds eating plants as sensible. Also, how does being uneffective to Dragon make sense?
Fire- Take away it's SE power against Ice, and make the latter resist it, while still resisting Ice.
Water- Nerf it. Make it weak to Poison, have Ice resist it, whatever.
Electric- Fine, but for some odd reason, I want it to be supereffective against Bug and Fighting, and weak to Ghost.
Ground- Fine.
Flying- No longer SE to Grass, but SE to something else, perhaps a new type.
Rock- Fine.
Fighting- Weakness to Electric and Poison, no resistance to Bug.
Psychic- Fine.
Bug- Normal Effectiveness to Fighting.
Poison- Supereffective to Water and Fighting.
Ice- Resistance to Water, Fire, and Dragon.
Ghost- Supereffective to Electric? Ghosts are rumored to possess technology, just look at Rotom.
Dragon- No longer resisting Grass, and weak to Steel and a possible new type.
Steel- Strong to Dragon.
Dark- Fine, but maybe SE and weak to a new type.
New Type (Light, maybe?)- SE to Dragon and Dark, weak to Flying and Dark. Light and Dark cancel each other out, heroes are portrayed as light themed when fighting dragons, and Flying creatures can make large shadows on the ground.

I definitely think a rebalance of certain types (compare the incredible offensive and defensive advantages of dragon, ground, fighting and especially water to the comparably laughable charts of grass, poison and ice to be specific) is overdue. Either via a new type or a new "interpretation" of the type chart.

I don't think balancing the chart would make anyone angry, unless they're so opposed to change that they want the series to remain static forever. In which case I wonder how they got past generation 2.

There will not be a new type... there is no logical reason... and Fiber type really out of all the possible types that has to be the stupidest... silk would be something to do with bugs because you know silk comes from silkWORMS there will be no new type /end thread
Instead of posting random blurbs that make little to no sense for a train of thought, how about posting a legitimate argument for once? What exactly is stupid about fiber, which would offer some pretty interesting designs, and not to mention would allow the introduction of more synthetic Pokemon? Why would silk have to do with bugs, when up till now they have done nothing to connect the two? More importantly lets say the correlation happens between silk and the bug type, why do it with Eevee, and not an actual silkworm Pokemon, like Sewaddle could have been?

There shouldn't NEED to be an argument... it:s OBVIOUS that there won't be a new type... you guys are just grasping at straws... but an argument...

1) There hasn't been a new type for 13 years adding one now is stupid

2) We do not need a new type since it's balanced already... the ONLY reason Steel and Dark were introduced was to nerf Psychic.

3) It would mess up the type chart... what would it be weak to? what does it resist? any immunities? adding a new type into the already complicated type chart is asking for trouble

4) Moves, what moves would be changed? what would moves of the new type even look like?

5) The Pokemon... would some Pokemon get a new type? that's only happened twice with Magnamite it makes sense he looks metallic and the Rotom forms make sense on what they're based on

6) GF has gave no hints of a new type it's all speculation

1) Gen III- 3rd version + remake, Gen IV - 3rc Version + remake, Gen V - two sequels (Oh, wait, that just disproved your theory that things can't change... *GASP!*)

2) No, It actually isn't balanced - different # of weakness/resistances/cancels for each type. Who knows, maybe this new type will balance everything.

3) You name a type, a loose description of what it represents, and I'l give you all three.

4) I doubt that moves would be something that you have to worry about. It would just have an equivelant in the new type. That depends. If all the attacks of the same type all had the EXACT SAME ANIMATION (Which they don't), It would depend on what the type is.

5) Sure, maybe some pokemon would get a secondary type, maybe GF has come up with some way to easily work in TERTIARY TYPES (Which I could actuallly see happening).

Magnemite - There was probably a lot more reasoning behind the addidtion of the steel type to this pokemon than what you said, but sure, I guess you have the basic idea.

Rotom - Rotom came out AFTER DARK AND STEEL WERE NEWLY RELEASED. I don't see how that is at all relevant in this conversation. Rotom did not get new typing. He got new frowms with new typing. There is a difference.

6) Congratulations, Mr. Holmes! How exactly did you work that one out?

Rotom - Rotom came out AFTER DARK AND STEEL WERE NEWLY RELEASED. I don't see how that is at all relevant in this conversation. Rotom did not get new typing. He got new frowms with new typing. There is a difference.
No, he's actually right on this one. In gen IV the forms were all Electric/Ghost. In gen V they all switched to their corresponding type while losing the ghost typing. Not something I'm particularly wooled about, but it is an actual intergenerational type change.

i there is really a new type I guess : light, rainbow or fairy are possibilities!
and that would probably be a new weakness for Dark and be weak to psychic and ground!

It might change or it might not change, our speculations for one are not any more valid than the other.

Can we stop this train before it wrecks? It's really unbecoming.

i there is really a new type I guess : light, rainbow or fairy are possibilities!
and that would probably be a new weakness for Dark and be weak to psychic and ground!
Given that all three could be represented though combinations of existing types, I don't think that Light, Rainbow or Fairy are possible in the slightest.

Let's keep in mind one thing here. There aren't 17 types right now. There are 149. You'll have a hard time finding something that could not be represented through current typings.

Given that all three could be represented though combinations of existing types, I don't think that Light, Rainbow or Fairy are possible in the slightest.

Let's keep in mind one thing here. There aren't 17 types right now. There are 149. You'll have a hard time finding something that could not be represented through current typings.

Fine, I'll bite - an angel Pokemon.

And my "Fairy-type" speculation gets a boost with a fairy-related dub name.

Normal/Flying
Psychic/Flying
Psychic

Normal/Flying
Psychic/Flying
Psychic

I'd hardly call sticking anything that doesn't fit in well with the other 15 types into Normal and Psychic - which is generally the practice for most off-beat themed Pokemon a good indication that you can represent anything in Pokemon. You are essentially beating square pegs into round holes at this point.

I could just as well do this if Pokemon only had three types - Fire, Water, Grass. Oh well, angels are associated with Fire in the bible, so let's just make it a Fire-type. A cat? Cats hate water, so they're Fire-type too! Meowth is a fire-type. You can half-ass any character concept into 3 types if you tried hard enough. Cactus? That's Grass/Fire since it lives in the desert but is a plant!

Another pertinent example is Sneasel and Weavile. In Japanese myth, the kamatatchi are wind spirits. But they do NOT have the ability to fly. Since there's no Wind-type and Flying doesn't fit, they had to half-ass that character concept into an Ice-type Pokemon.

I don't see why you'd group an angel Pokemon into Psychic (and in fact our closest "angel Pokemon", the Togetic line, is honestly one of the Pokemon I think would be perfect to fit into the proposed "Fairy"/"Mystic" typing), considering Psychic Pokemon aren't exactly aligned with holy goodness.

And really, the main idea behind this type is to help distinguish the Normal-typing, because right now it's sort of conflicting because on one hand you have normal, terrestrial animals like the rodents, birds, and cats, and on the other hand you have space fairies, little pink nurse creatures, and Dunsparce.

Besides the (I want more type discussion). Poison type needs reworking I think most can agree to that.

I don't see why you'd group an angel Pokemon into Psychic (and in fact our closest "angel Pokemon", the Togetic line, is honestly one of the Pokemon I think would be perfect to fit into the proposed "Fairy"/"Mystic" typing), considering Psychic Pokemon aren't exactly aligned with holy goodness.

And really, the main idea behind this type is to help distinguish the Normal-typing, because right now it's sort of conflicting because on one hand you have normal, terrestrial animals like the rodents, birds, and cats, and on the other hand you have space fairies, little pink nurse creatures, and Dunsparce.

:lol:

But... where do you put the ALMIGHTY GOD? (Sorry, I had to write it on caps)

Dunsparce is totally based on a mythical Japanese creature, so I'm serious when I say he'd fit nicely into a New Type if it represents "Mystical/Fairy" Pokemon.

Besides the (I want more type discussion). Poison type needs reworking I think most can agree to that.

for poison i'd give it either one more resistance or one more strength.

but i'd also do the same or both to bug and grass, those two i think are statistically the weakest types. i wouldn't really touch steel and dragon, as their concept lend to uberness. ice i'd give another resistance. the rest seem ok to me.

so for a new fairy type, [to balance without changing old types] i'd make it weak or resisted to/by poison, bug, grass. and then make it strong against ghost, dark, and something else?

I'd personally prefer Ice not being weak to Fighting anymore, yes, I know fighters can break Ice, but that can apply to other types too.

but i'd also do the same or both to bug and grass, those two i think are statistically the weakest types.

Gen V was already generous for strong bugs (Genesect, Volcarona, Accelgor, Leavanny, Escavalier and Scolipede). Not counting the awesomeness of Quiver Dance. Besides, Bug is already resistant to common Ground and Fighting, and SE against Psychic and Dark.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom