• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

but i'd also do the same or both to bug and grass, those two i think are statistically the weakest types.

Gen V was already generous for strong bugs (Genesect, Volcarona, Accelgor, Leavanny, Escavalier and Scolipede). Not counting the awesomeness of Quiver Dance. Besides, Bug is already resistant to common Ground and Fighting, and SE against Psychic and Dark.

i know :p maybe i'm a little biased. still bug type itself is resisted a lot, and the majority of bug type pokes are still not useable in competitive fighting. maybe we just need moar bug/[fire, steel, electric] types. :)

Ninfia's/Sylveon's look seem to point to a pixie-type creature; if there's a new type, it's prolly going to be associated with magic. Many JRPGs have 'light' as a sort of placeholder name for the concept (Kingdom Hearts, etc), so if it's not called 'Magic-Type', 'Faerie-Type' (whatever spelling is used), or 'Mystic-Type' it'll prolly be called 'Light-Type', though a celestial 'Star-Type' (or some version of the word) is possible, too, though I think it's even more of a stretch. Disgaea had 'Star' type magic, but it actually seemed to be based more on the concept of Void rather than starlight.
If Yveltal's typing is Dark/Flying (which, given his look, is what I assume he is), Xerneas could be this new 'Light' type in order to counter him. Light (or rather its refraction) iis what gives the world color, and Xerneas has many colors in his horns, so I think that could be another indicator -- but anything is a stretch when looking for new Types, really.
Old Pokes that could be this 'Light' type: Anything classified as a 'fairy' Pokemon (in the pokedex, not egg group), such as the Clefairy, Jigglypuff and Chansey lines, the Togepi line (especially Togekiss), Audino, and Xerneas itself. Skitty & Delcatty also seem likely cantidates, as do oddballs like Castform and such Pokes that have mystical origins... except perhaps Dunsparce, who, while based on a Tsuchinoko, always seemed like it should be a Ground-Type to me, and Snubbull/Granbull, who've never really seemed particularly 'faerie-like' to me... But then, that's what I meant when I said that it's a stretch to suggest anything at all.

If Yveltal's typing is Dark/Flying (which, given his look, is what I assume he is), Xerneas could be this new 'Light' type in order to counter him. Light (or rather its refraction) iis what gives the world color, and Xerneas has many colors in his horns, so I think that could be another indicator -- but anything is a stretch when looking for new Types, really.
I can't see Xerneas getting a new type specifically meant to counter Yveltal, as it would make them asymmetrical. They should both have the new hypothetical new type, which is one of the reasons why I am in favor of calling it Mystic. By that I am referring to creatures that are not so much legendary as they are mysterious and associated with fables. Surprisingly, not many current Pokémon fit that bill, and not every fairy-like critter has a fable to it.

If they opted for the Mystic route, then I could see the following Pokémon being included: The Clefairy and Togepi lines, Vulpix and Zorua lines, Milotic, Mew, Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf. 15 Pokémon being retconned would be reasonable, and there could be at least eight more Mystic-type species introduced in Generation VI (with three having already been revealed).

Last edited:

You guys remember Reshiram right? You guys were so sure that he'd have a new type and he was Dragon/Fire... Sylveon will probably be Flying since Sylv=Sylph a wind elemental.

and Psychic is pretty much the mystic type... so a 'Mystic' Type would be redundant. As for a Fairy type? almost all the pokemon in the Fairy egg group are Normal... so Fairly=Normal

as for Yveltal and Xerneas I say Dark/Flying and Psychic/Steel or Grass/Steel

You guys remember Reshiram right? You guys were so sure that he'd have a new type and he was Dragon/Fire... Sylveon will probably be Flying since Sylv=Sylph a wind elemental.

and Psychic is pretty much the mystic type... so a 'Mystic' Type would be redundant. As for a Fairy type? almost all the pokemon in the Fairy egg group are Normal... so Fairly=Normal

as for Yveltal and Xerneas I say Dark/Flying and Psychic/Steel or Grass/Steel

That only explains the English name, though. The Japanese and French names are derived from "nymph" and the German name possibly comes from the German for "fairy". The uniting theme of all of these is the concept of fairies and sprites, not any sort of traditional element.

Fine, I'll bite - an angel Pokemon.
Togetic.

I'd hardly call sticking anything that doesn't fit in well with the other 15 types into Normal and Psychic - which is generally the practice for most off-beat themed Pokemon a good indication that you can represent anything in Pokemon. You are essentially beating square pegs into round holes at this point.
Just because the assigning of 149 possible types to anything feels off...

Do you really think that would call for an entirely new type that could already be represented by the current available types? All you are asking for is needless complexity.

I find the "catch all" nature of the Normal and Psychic types to be perfectly okay.

That only explains the English name, though. The Japanese and French names are derived from "nymph" and the German name possibly comes from the German for "fairy". The uniting theme of all of these is the concept of fairies and sprites, not any sort of traditional element.

How would a 'Fairy' type distance itself from the Egg-Group? and don't Fairy's fly? The Togepi line is based on fairies... they're part Flying... besides spirits would be Ghost type... besides the English names always hnt towards type... Sylv sounds like Sylph... the chances of a new type are astronomically tiny... and aren't sylph's a type of Fairy?

But yeah saying that Sylveon being 100% a new type is going to sound stupid when it's not... as I said before Reshiram a new type should be the last idea not the first

How would a 'Fairy' type distance itself from the Egg-Group? and don't Fairy's fly? The Togepi line is based on fairies... they're part Flying... besides spirits would be Ghost type... besides the English names always hnt towards type... Sylv sounds like Sylph... the chances of a new type are astronomically tiny... and aren't sylph's a type of Fairy?
At what point did I claim this Pokémon was going to be a "Fairy" type? I just pointed out the common theme of fairies/nature spirits that unites the names. That aside, your concern about the Egg group is unfounded as there are already a number of Egg groups that have similar names to existing types and overlap these types in various unpredictable ways, plus the "official" names of Egg groups are almost never used by the games themselves.

Not all fairies fly; in fact, using the broadest definition of the term, which encompasses a great deal of mythological creatures, the vast majority do not. Similarly, "spirit" can imply ghost, but not in the context I'm using it here. There's nothing remotely ghostly about fairies, sylphs and the vast majority of nymphs.

But yeah saying that Sylveon being 100% a new type is going to sound stupid when it's not... as I said before Reshiram a new type should be the last idea not the first
I don't really see many people here saying that, and should Sylveon turn out to be an existing type, the speculation otherwise will only seem as stupid as all of the other speculation that was ultimately proven incorrect; ie, most of the content in each and every speculation thread. If you don't like seeing people speculate then maybe these threads aren't the place for you.

Right now there is evidence for and against Sylveon being a new type. Let's review:

AGAINST:
A new type isn't needed in the way that Dark and Steel were in Gen II to balance the metagame.
With 649 existing Pokémon, either the new type will be hugely under-represented overall, or existing Pokémon will need to be reclassified, as Magnemite was.
The "fairy" theme has been associated with Normal-types in the past. Sylveon could be a Normal-type.

FOR:
Nintendo are making a big deal about not revealing Sylveon's type. I don't recall this much of a deal being made specifically about a Pokémon's type in the run-up to any game.
This suspense seems unnecessary if Sylveon is simply a Normal-type.
Every Eeveelution has been an embodiment of its type. That is to say, it's very easy to tell what type an Eeveelution is just by looking at it (Espeon is the least obvious, but the name, in both Japanese and English, is a dead giveaway). Neither Sylveon's name, nor its appearance, have a strong association with any existing type.
Lest we forget, we have two legendaries who also haven't had any types revealed yet. Has Nintendo ever been this coy about revealing types?

I would propose this situation is rather different from the Reshiram one. Reshiram and Zekrom's typing followed a theme that made perfect sense in context... but for a long time, we didn't have that context, and so we were guessing based on very little evidence. But now we're dealing with the Eevee family, a group of Pokémon we know very well We know they're always monotypes, we know that their name and appearance reflect their types. And now we're faced with an Eeveelution that doesn't obviously fit any type that we know. Of course people are speculating about new types based on this.

I would propose this situation is rather different from the Reshiram one.
Not least because they didn't treat Reshiram or Zekrom's types as a mystery. They simply didn't mention them at first, and CoroCoro revealed the types after just two weeks (with Shokotan leaking Zekrom's Electric typing even earlier), anyway.

At what point did I claim this Pokémon was going to be a "Fairy" type? I just pointed out the common theme of fairies/nature spirits that unites the names. That aside, your concern about the Egg group is unfounded as there are already a number of Egg groups that have similar names to existing types and overlap these types in various unpredictable ways, plus the "official" names of Egg groups are almost never used by the games themselves.

Not all fairies fly; in fact, using the broadest definition of the term, which encompasses a great deal of mythological creatures, the vast majority do not. Similarly, "spirit" can imply ghost, but not in the context I'm using it here. There's nothing remotely ghostly about fairies, sylphs and the vast majority of nymphs.

I don't really see many people here saying that, and should Sylveon turn out to be an existing type, the speculation otherwise will only seem as stupid as all of the other speculation that was ultimately proven incorrect; ie, most of the content in each and every speculation thread. If you don't like seeing people speculate then maybe these threads aren't the place for you.

Right now there is evidence for and against Sylveon being a new type. Let's review:

AGAINST:
A new type isn't needed in the way that Dark and Steel were in Gen II to balance the metagame.
With 649 existing Pokémon, either the new type will be hugely under-represented overall, or existing Pokémon will need to be reclassified, as Magnemite was.
The "fairy" theme has been associated with Normal-types in the past. Sylveon could be a Normal-type.

FOR:
Nintendo are making a big deal about not revealing Sylveon's type. I don't recall this much of a deal being made specifically about a Pokémon's type in the run-up to any game.
This suspense seems unnecessary if Sylveon is simply a Normal-type.
Every Eeveelution has been an embodiment of its type. That is to say, it's very easy to tell what type an Eeveelution is just by looking at it (Espeon is the least obvious, but the name, in both Japanese and English, is a dead giveaway). Neither Sylveon's name, nor its appearance, have a strong association with any existing type.
Lest we forget, we have two legendaries who also haven't had any types revealed yet. Has Nintendo ever been this coy about revealing types?

I would propose this situation is rather different from the Reshiram one. Reshiram and Zekrom's typing followed a theme that made perfect sense in context... but for a long time, we didn't have that context, and so we were guessing based on very little evidence. But now we're dealing with the Eevee family, a group of Pokémon we know very well We know they're always monotypes, we know that their name and appearance reflect their types. And now we're faced with an Eeveelution that doesn't obviously fit any type that we know. Of course people are speculating about new types based on this.

They didn't reveal Reshiram and Zekrom's types for ages and even then Zekrom's type accident so yes they've been coy about types and remember they hid B/W Kyurem's type as well and they were still Dragon/Ice so they could easily just hype Sylveon's typing until they reveal his type to be Flying.

Sylveon is most likely Flying if not Normal/Flying... I just don't get why people are acting so sure about a new type after 3 Gen's and 13 years you'd think it'd die down

My guesses are:

Sylveon: Flying
Yveltal: Dark/Flying
Xerneas: Grass/Dragon - Grass/Steel

And I think Sylveon is going to be the only Eeveelution introduced. If we were going to get another one, it would have been announced along with Sylveon.

I kind of think that only one of the new Legendaries should be a new type...I'm thinking Xerneas, and, Mystic or Fairy, whatever, I'm betting such a new type would probably be Immune to Dark.

So, you could do this...Xerneas is Ground/(Mystic)Fairy, and Yveltal is Flying/Dark. That'd be interesting with them having types which are immune to one another.

I kind of think that only one of the new Legendaries should be a new type...I'm thinking Xerneas, and, Mystic or Fairy, whatever, I'm betting such a new type would probably be Immune to Dark.

So, you could do this...Xerneas is Ground/(Mystic)Fairy, and Yveltal is Flying/Dark. That'd be interesting with them having types which are immune to one another.
I think that most people would be naturally more interested in Xerneas (and thus in X) if that were the case, which would be a problem.

I don't necessarily think so.

They're not Box Legendaries, but I don't think Umbreon being a new type necessarily boosted his popularity over Espeon, for instance. And sure, Xerneas may be the new type, but I think Yveltal is the fan-favorite in terms of designs.

Of course, who says Xerneas and Yveltal need to be New Types? I wouldn't mind if the New Type was reserved for mainly cute Pokemon like Sylveon as a counter to Dark...

They didn't reveal Reshiram and Zekrom's types for ages and even then Zekrom's type accident so yes they've been coy about types and remember they hid B/W Kyurem's type as well and they were still Dragon/Ice so they could easily just hype Sylveon's typing until they reveal his type to be Flying.
As Silktree pointed out, there's a difference between simply not stating the type for a while, and making a big deal about what a mystery the type is. Which, if you've seen the CoroCoro scans, is exactly what they're doing. It's not so much "Type unknown" as it is "Type UNKNOWN OH MY GOODNESS WHAT A CONUNDRUM." They have never made this big of a deal about it before.

Sylveon is most likely Flying if not Normal/Flying... I just don't get why people are acting so sure about a new type after 3 Gen's and 13 years you'd think it'd die down
I think that people in this thread are mostly discussing the possibility of a new type, not declaring that there will absolutely be one. As I said, if you don't like speculation, then a forum about a game we know next to nothing about might not be the place for you.

If they opted for the Mystic route, then I could see the following Pokémon being included: The Clefairy and Togepi lines, Vulpix and Zorua lines, Milotic, Mew, Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf. 15 Pokémon being retconned would be reasonable, and there could be at least eight more Mystic-type species introduced in Generation VI (with three having already been revealed).

There actually aren't a lot of Fairy-based Pokemon so I don't think retconning would be a big deal. Especially since of the Fairy-based Pokemon, only Togepi's line is dual-type and would have to be fully retconned - and Togekiss isn't nuts about Normal STAB anyways. Everything else is currently mono-typed and thus easily retconned into dual-type Pokemon like Magnemite. Umm. Let's see: Clefairy Family, Jigglypuff Family, Chansey Family, Audino, Togepi Family, Snubull Family, Cherrim, Liligant. Amongst Legendaries, it'd pretty much be limited to the Fairy Trio, possibly Celebi, maybe Manaphy and Phione. With 5 or so new monster lines in Gen VI, that'd be enough to make them rare but posses a sizable pool to draw from.

Hmm... well, possibilities for me would be:

Fairy
Mystic
Magic
Arcane (Arcana)

They all basically deal with the same stuff, magical phenomenon in some way or another. Magic or arcane mystical powers in general are considered separate from ESP or psychic powers in a lot of RPG. Fairies or Faes fall under the same category, so I'm learning more towards a new typing being called Mystic, Arcane, or just strait up Magic because it includes more of the troupe than just fairies. If done right however, a Fairy typing on its own could actually work for this series, its all the same themes anyways when you think about it.

If done right however, a Fairy typing on its own could actually work for this series, its all the same themes anyways when you think about it.
While it is true that that the aforementioned themes are all similar, there are still differences. I can't see Xerneas or Yveltal being classified as fairies, for one thing. Ninetales, Zoroark and Milotic are mystic creatures, but it is hard to view them as fairies even in the broadest sense. Similarly, Cherrim, Liligant and the Jigglypuff, Chansey, Audino and Snubbull lines may look like fairies, but they are not mystical.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom