• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters

GreatLiver

Well-Respected Member
Reaction score
With Ninfia revealed, and more so with the fact the types of half the pokemon we know so far have been withheld, there seems to be some discussion on whether or not we could see the introduction of the first new type since the second generation games back in 1999. If there is one, where would you want it to fit in regarding weaknesses and resistances? Where do you think it could fit in within the mythos of Pokemon?

Didn't want to keep it at just discussing if people think there will be a new type, as I think alterations to the type chart can merit some discussion as well. It's something else we haven't seen since the second generation, but do you want to see any changes made to the type chart as far as current types go? I've always been partial to the idea of Poison being super effective against Water. Pollution and what have you. I don't really follow the metagame stuff, but I'm sure there are some of you familiar with what types are significantly more favorable.

Parties interested in Gen V's discussion of the topic, feel free to peruse it here.
Edit: Personal opinion, but everything Zeta says in that thread is gold. Actually you should go read it right now.

Last edited:
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

Honestly I doubt it! But I wouldn't be surprised if they pull it off either!

But personally they should correct some types(weaknesses and resisatants) like Grass and Rock. . .

For some reason I always expected Steel to be weak to Ice. Then again, anything that's frozen wouldn't be of much help in any situation.

A new Eeveeloution would be a great way to introduce a new type, so, why not? Even if there are no new type adjustments, maybe that type is specific to this new region or something.

The one type resistance that always bothered me was Ice/Water. Wouldn't the Ice attack freeze the water???

It would be nice if they changed the type chart a little to give the Ice-type more resistances, made more types weak to Poison etc.
Of course they could do both like they did in Gen. II, although I don't really want new types.

A new Eeveeloution would be a great way to introduce a new type, so, why not? Even if there are no new type adjustments, maybe that type is specific to this new region or something.

The one type resistance that always bothered me was Ice/Water. Wouldn't the Ice attack freeze the water???
Depends - cold/low temperatures would freeze water, but ice usually melts in water since it's basically "warm ice". If anything, a jet of room-temperature water would destroy a being made of ice like Vanilluxe. Not that I'm in favour of any changes in the type chart.

But then again, this is Pokémon we're talking about - there is precious little reasoning behind the type chart. Other franchises with elemental attacks differ on these points - Dungeons & Dragons has (AFAIK) Cold and Fire cancelling each other out, which sort of makes sense as well if you think of them in terms of temperatures.

Well, there is a reason why CoroCoro is blocking out the types of Yveltal, Xerneas, and Ninfia. In the past, when CoroCoro revealed new pokemon from previous gens, their types were announced as well.

I suspect there could be a new type, but I wish not.

About existing types, I want Poison to be SE to Water, but Water keeping normal-effectiveness against Poison. Reasons, poison can ruin water forever, but water can dilute poison as well, so making a weakness for Water makes sense, but making a resistance for Poison does not.

Well, there is a reason why CoroCoro is blocking out the types of Yveltal, Xerneas, and Ninfia. In the past, when CoroCoro revealed new pokemon from previous gens, their types were announced as well.

Not necessarily, Reshiram and Zekrom types were kept in secret until Shokotan (Pokémon Smash host) leaked Zekrom type on her blog accidentally. Even Kyurem forms were hidden when first revealed, despite being just Dragon/Ice like the basic form.

I doubt there will be new types. The amount of types we have is enough. And there are several possibilities what type Ninfia might be, but as there is another thread for this, I will not say anything regarding Ninfia's type here. However, I do agree that the type chart should be updated. Poison is as deadly in water as it is against plants. And in real life, many bugs are also killed by poisons. Well, anything can be killed by poison when it comes down to it. And the poor ice type... No resistances. At all. With the exception of its own type and hail. However, ice should indeed resist grass. In (very) cold places and during winter, nothing grows. And the availability of ice attacks should not be so wide spread among water types. Regarding resistance of ice types against water types... that is indeed debatable. It is right that water and ice are equal, when it comes down to it. But as the ice type has so few resistances... Well, just to make it funny, you could make ice types resistant against dragons. I mean, in mythology - how many dragons do live in cold places? And as dragons are usually portrayed as reptiles and most reptiles are cold-blooded animals and do not like cold at all...

I'm not an expert when it comes to the metagame, but I could imagine that making poison super effective agains water and perhaps bugs, limiting the availability of ice type attacks among water types and making ice types resistant against plants, dragons and perhaps even water would perhaps make a big impact in the metagame. For good or worse I don't know.

By the way, the reason why the types are kept secret could be because there is still more than six months left before the games are on the market.

Last edited:

Also, talking about the metagame, Water-types became too cheap. Thanks Drizzle Politoed. ¬¬

I know Steel is overpowered on defense, but I kind of want it to resist Fighting. Sure, strong people can bend steel, but I don't think punching, kicking and throwing yourself at it does any kind of noticeable damage, or am I missing something here?

That's only really about trying to be more realistic though, but I wanted to throw that out somewhere.

If Ninfia is the first sign of a Fabric type as implied by its name and design, then I see it being weak to Poison, Fire and Bug and resistant to (at least) Water.

It's sad, but aside from Grass getting a lot of utility and power buffs and a lot of powerful individuals like Lilligant and Ferrothorn in Gen V, most of what I said in 2010 still stands. : S I'd be up for a type chart remake, possibly with ret-cons to old Pokemon types and/or new types. Or Abilities that essentially add the properties of a third-type onto certain Pokemon in exchange for not having a "regular" ability.

I'm not liking the whole Fabric-type idea...
What types of attacks could be classified as "fabric-type"? And what Pokemon would the "fabric-type" include? Throh and Sawk?

"Fabric" is kind of non-nonsensical and vague. You need to be able to mostly tell most Pokemon's types by a glance, and fabric - you just can't.

Now if you took a similar idea and made it a "Puppet" or "Toy" type I could actually see that working. Since the obvious signs of an animated puppet would be marionette strings, zippers, patchwork. And there's a lot of fiction about toys coming to life.

And you'd only really have to retcon Shuppet and Banette into Ghost/Puppet-type Pokemon.

But even if that were the case, I don't see any such signs on Ninfina.

How bout Fiber? We're toying what that idea in the CoroCoro thread, and it makes more sense then Fabric. Fiber's could be anything from silk to wool, to even fibers in vegetables. Its not man made and more organic, and it could work with some interesting type dualities. As for weaknesses/strengths, I can see it weak to fire and psychic, with it being strong against fighting, ghost(it would be the first physical typing to hurt it!) and perhaps rock, considering how the common types of fiber are water based or grass based. Thoughts?

Nah, this time around its justified. Eeveelutions are type-specific, and when you have a series which keeps its type genres to a specific look, it raises questions when something like this doesn't fit to anything. Bug type? Too fox like, and it doesn't have something characteristically bug about it. Those ribbons are ribbons, not butterflies. Dragon's aren't furry, normal Eeveelution would be more eeveeish, and psychic is something we already have covered. We should be speculating on it, and not going straight away for the argument that no new types will happen. Gen 6 is likely to be the generation with the biggest overhaul, and a new type would fit with it.

I would put the likelihood of Sound, Beauty, Beast, Love, Spirit, Gravity, Magic, Energy, Mythic, Machine, Light, Life, Puppet, Space, Sea, Wind, AND Forest-types as concepts all well before something just plain weird as Fabric.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom