• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

If they were to modify the type chart, I'd hope that Poison would become Super-Effective against both Water and Bug. While there are many bugs that are poisonous/venomous, there's still the fact that various ones can be susceptible to kinds of poison.

I would put the likelihood of Sound, Beauty, Beast, Love, Spirit, Gravity, Magic, Energy, Mythic, Machine, Light, Life, Puppet, Space, Sea, Wind, AND Forest-types as concepts all well before something just plain weird as Fabric.
Again, not fabric, but fiber. Fabric would be the interweaving of many fibers by humans, were as fiber is the organic material many thing are made of.
Textile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fiber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Major difference in the two. We'll likely know by Friday what the english name is, and if its Nineon, based on Ninon, well then what type would it be? Nympheon as well would raise questions, as nympheon could refer to both bugs, and the ancient greek mythlogical creatures.

Nah, this time around its justified. Eeveelutions are type-specific, and when you have a series which keeps its type genres to a specific look, it raises questions when something like this doesn't fit to anything. Bug type? Too fox like, and it doesn't have something characteristically bug about it. Those ribbons are ribbons, not butterflies. Dragon's aren't furry, normal Eeveelution would be more eeveeish, and psychic is something we already have covered. We should be speculating on it, and not going straight away for the argument that no new types will happen. Gen 6 is likely to be the generation with the biggest overhaul, and a new type would fit with it.

If Alteria can be a Dragon so can Ninfia... there is no evidence for a new type at all... it's been over 13 years since we got new types... Ninfia can easily be Flying or Dragon (again Alteria) I'm 99.999999999% sure we won't get a new type

Sure we have Altaria, but my point still stands. Eeveelutions have been type specific with their designs, and while they still look like foxes, even Glaceon and Leafeon follow design patterns that fall into their type, when they could have been something more out there. I see no reason why GF would stray away from this now, instead of with those 2.

How bout Fiber? We're toying what that idea in the CoroCoro thread, and it makes more sense then Fabric. Fiber's could be anything from silk to wool, to even fibers in vegetables. Its not man made and more organic, and it could work with some interesting type dualities. As for weaknesses/strengths, I can see it weak to fire and psychic, with it being strong against fighting, ghost(it would be the first physical typing to hurt it!) and perhaps rock, considering how the common types of fiber are water based or grass based. Thoughts?
Screw brand new pokemon, I just want a new bran pokemon.

If Ninfia is the first sign of a Fabric type as implied by its name and design, then I see it being weak to Poison, Fire and Bug and resistant to (at least) Water.

It could also be resistant to Electric-type, as per optical fiber, which is an insulator.

I wish the new type discussion would be banned... it's getting stupider and stupider... we won't be getting a new type... this type of speculation is pointless...

I guess one can always opt not to participate in these discussions though, cause they will always exists as long as there's no new type.

As long as the Pokemon franchise moves forward, I wouldn't rule anything out honestly.

What types of attacks could be classified as "fabric-type"?
Bind, Wrap, Harden, String Shot, Constrict, Cotton Spore, Spider Web, Mirror Coat and Camouflage come to mind.

And what Pokemon would the "fabric-type" include? Throh and Sawk?
It should be Pokémon naturally associated with fibers. There are actually not that many of them: Mareep, Flaafy, Cottonee and Whimsicott, and to a lesser extent the Spinarak, Joltik and Scraggy families (the problem being that they already have two types).

Sounds familiar...
Those are just the obvious match-ups. The other ones could be arbitrary (as is often the case) to set Fiber apart from Grass. A resistance to Fighting would also make sense.

Last edited:

Sure we have Altaria, but my point still stands. Eeveelutions have been type specific with their designs, and while they still look like foxes, even Glaceon and Leafeon follow design patterns that fall into their type, when they could have been something more out there. I see no reason why GF would stray away from this now, instead of with those 2.

Bullshit, there is NOTHING pointing to a new type with Ninfia... if anything he'd be Normal... we won't be getting a new type... you've been proven wrong 3 times now... honestly the new type discussion is the most pointless speculation... if GF hinted at a new type yeah but you're grasping at straws.... 17 types is enough... it's been 13 years let the new type thing die already

Okay, I do believe its time we get a bit more serious on Ninfia, because I'm starting to look into things, and I can't see anything that would designate it to be a bug type or normal. First and foremost:
If the basis is off of a nymph, instead of Ninon as some are saying, it would also imply a new type as nymph could refer to the infant stage of an insect, or the mythological creatures of Greek Mythlogy that are happy dancing maidens that lure men.
Nymph (biology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nymph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now then these 2 are likely however there is cause for doubt. Eevee evolves to adapt to its environment, and to whatever genetic mutation it encounters. Additionally the eeveelutions are likely to stay as are without evolutions, so I do not see the logic in it being a Pokemon based on the biological stasis before the metamorphic transformation before the adult stage. That would counter the whole concept behind this evolution family, and I doubt GF would go that far.
As for the nymph, I do believe Jubilant typing could be interesting, although lacking. All the typings of Pokemon have insofar moves that logically hurt you either physically or indirectly through the elements. Not to mention this would likely require happiness, and the eeveelutions Espeon and Umbreon already cover that evolution method.
Moving on to normal typing now. How exactly would the evolution work? Stones that could evolve would make no sense as it would technically already be available by Pokemon Logic, and again happiness cannot and will not be factored in. What else could pertain to a normal type eeveelution? Exactly...

Now lets take Ninon as the basis, which is silk.
Ninon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ninon is a silk cloth, and what is silk? A fiber. Fiber would make for a good type as it is not only silk, but a lot of other organic materials. It could offer some pretty cool type combos, and unlike the happy type mentioned, physical attacks could spawn from this typing in a logical way. I do understand new types are a bit daunting but I do believe it could happen.

Bullshit, there is NOTHING pointing to a new type with Ninfia... if anything he'd be Normal... we won't be getting a new type... you've been proven wrong 3 times now... honestly the new type discussion is the most pointless speculation... if GF hinted at a new type yeah but you're grasping at straws.... 17 types is enough... it's been 13 years let the new type thing die already
Whoa there buddy, lets sit down for a bit shall we? First time I'm agreeing with a new type, and its because its actually logical. I've been incorrect about a few points yes, but thanks to human error, not because of flaws in my logic.

Fibre type seems plausible, but frankly I don't think GameFreak's gonna make a new type. If they did they would've done so in Gen 5, because it's like the new Kanto. Also, the hassle of putting a new type into older generation pokemon. Back when they introduced Dark and Steel type in Gen 2, out of the 151 pokemon in Gen 1,they only changed the Magnemite line's typing to Electric/Steel. If they introduce a new type now, imagine some of the 649 pokemon that would need a type redo.
For Ninfina (surprised its not called nineon), because of the streamer flowy design, I think it would be a flying type. Reminds me of the streamers on an air conditioner XD. It could use gust with those streamers! However, although it's cute, I'm not too keen on the bow on it's ear.

Spinarak and Cottonee would honestly be the only Pokemon that would change. As for the name, the -eon suffix is only for the American games, and the random sounding name is normal for Japan. I wonder what the full meaning of the name is, Ninfia. I mean we could also Nin is ninon, but what would the -fia be?

It baffles me that the main argument of the people against new types is that "it's been like that for too long" and "it would mess up the types chart". It's beyond me how things staying still for too long is a good thing. Regardless to how good it is -- and frankly, it is one of the best turn-based battle systems -- and in spite of the risk in that, the Pokémon battle system needs some shaking up. A new type wouldn't be enough, but it would certainly be a catalyst and a step to the right direction.

I really, really, really hope they don't make a new type. And even if they did, I don't like the Fiber Type idea, at all. I just feel like the existing types are really good for this series and I just can't think of any new ones that would fit well enough for me, personally.

I mean we could also Nin is ninon, but what would the -fia be?
It is possible that they just borrowed the suffix from "Leafia". While "Glacia" lacks an 'f', "Ninfia" just sounds better than "Ninia" does.

On second thought, perhaps the Nymph idea, the greek mythology idea not the bug one, has more credentials then originally thought. Ninfa is the spanish word for Nymph, so Ninfia would work I guess. But have they ever used non-enlgish words for the Romanization before? Good lord I can't wait till the -Eon name cause it would definitely be the deal breaker.
I mean we could also Nin is ninon, but what would the -fia be?
It is possible that they just borrowed the suffix from "Leafia". While "Glacia" lacks an 'f', "Ninfia" just sounds better than "Ninia" does.
True, but I'm also thinking of other possibilities like the one I posted.

On second thought, perhaps the Nymph idea, the greek mythology idea not the bug one, has more credentials then originally thought. Ninfa is the spanish word for Nymph, so Ninfia would work I guess. But have they ever used non-enlgish words for the Romanization before? Good lord I can't wait till the -Eon name cause it would definitely be the deal breaker.
They haven't used non-English words for the Eeveelutions.

There will not be a new type... there is no logical reason... and Fiber type really out of all the possible types that has to be the stupidest... silk would be something to do with bugs because you know silk comes from silkWORMS there will be no new type /end thread

They haven't used non-English words for the Eeveelutions.

But in Japanese, "nymph" IS written ニンフ (ni-n-fu). When a western word has 'm' right before a consonant (like "computer"), in katakana m is changed by a n (コピュータ, ko-n-pyuu-ta). So, "Ninfia" (or Nymphia) does come from "nymph". The fact "nymph" is "ninfa" in Spanish (and another languages), is just coincidence.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom