• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

I really don't want a new type. The system is fine how it is. 'Don't fix what ain't broke' and all that.

The only real problems with the types at the moment (imo) is that Grass & Ice are very easily damaged by many types, and a new type being fetched in isn't going to change that for them. Depending on how weaknesses are done, it could just make things worse for them.

As for the new Eeveelution, it seems like a Normal type to me. The whole 'cute' appeal it has is very reminiscent of other normal types such as Clefairy, Togepi & Delcatty.

Well yes, that's true, but what if you can enhance and develop it more in some ways? There are various types that need a bit better tweaking in general. I think the issue is that most people just fear the idea of things changing and needing to re-learn.

I know that not all of this can be logical, but just a week ago I realized Dark was weak to Bug-type attacks. My only reaction was "WTF!?!" The esoteric types (Dark, Ghost, Bug, Fighting, Psychic) have really, really weird interactions.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new type, and I wouldn't be too surprised if there was one. Although, I really think that the type type needs some major revamping. To name a few ideas of mine:
- Poison SE against Water and Fighting
- Remove Poison weakness from Grass
- Steel and Psychic SE against poison instead of Psy and Grd.
- More differentiation between Dark and Ghost. They are far too similar in effectiveness. If anything, Dark has made Ghost useless.
- Ice's Fighting weakness removed.

And these are just a few ideas.

grass, bug, and ice could also get some re-evaluations as far as weaknesses and being resisted. strengths are fine.

potential new types of the future, be they light/sonic/air/wind/fiber[lol inorite?]/whatever, could help balance all these out more 'evenly'. some variation is good, steel and dragon are intended to be stronger, and bug and grass are intended to be not as strong, but balancing out the basic types themselves by adding new types and not changing old types too much could be a solution.

:) and i really like the idea of rounding out types at 20.

Inb4 Game Freak is trolling us and Ninfia is not an Eeveelution.

I am not opposed to new types, I would welcome them. Especially since the type chart IS out-of-whack. No, it is not perfectly balanced.

Rock, Ground, Ice, and Fighting on offense are widely regarded as broken. Though for Rock that's mostly because of Stealth Rock ALONE - which by itself makes it very difficult to use most Flying and Bug-types. Water, Steel, and Dragon are widely seen as OP on defense. Poison is garbage on offense (which is counter-intuitive to it's theme), Ice is hands down the worst type (when you factor in how many Water-types learn Ice moves for free and their multitude of weaknesses and how limited their movepools tend to be), and Steel-attacks are a joke.
I agree that the type chart is in need of work (and some moves/abilities need work as well... Drizzle Politoed + Swift Swim team comes to mind immediately), but I feel that your use of "broken" and "OP" to describe the status of some types in the metagame is incorrect and that being useful does not mean it is broken or OP.

Rather than attempting to nerf those types, I think that balancing needs to be done for types like Poison, Ice, Grass and Flying as they tend to have very little impact on the metagame for various reasons (of which, Stealth Rock really isn't that big of one, especially compared to the Gen IV metagame).

However ALL that being said: Woven Material-type is STILL absurd, though. That's like having a Paper-Type.
And I agree completely.

How about gas type?

Super Effective: poison, bug(?)
Resist: water, fire, gas, bug
NFE: fire, gas, grass, steel
Immune: normal, fight(?), steel
Weakness: poison, flying, grass(?)

I wonder if Lively-type is a possibility. Still going with the suggestion of a type related to well-being, celebration and cheerfulness, I think it would make sense. It's sort of an anagram to 'Evil-type', which fits with the fact that it is kind of an opposite to the quiet and lonewolf nature of the Dark-type Pokémon. Let's also give a thought to this: every Eeveelution's color scheme is based on its type, which makes Nymphia inconsistent to even the Normal-type, in spite of the likelihood of that type in comparison to the others. Lively-type would sort of fit with a light pink coloring.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new type, and I wouldn't be too surprised if there was one. Although, I really think that the type type needs some major revamping. To name a few ideas of mine:
- More differentiation between Dark and Ghost. They are far too similar in effectiveness. If anything, Dark has made Ghost useless.

LOL imagine removing Electric weakness from Water types.

Um... why? That would be kind of ridiculous. Water's weakness to Electric is just fine and logical. Nothing is wrong with it.

It would be nice if they gave Dragon-types more weaknesses. Many of the more powerful Dragon-type moves are exclusive to Dragon-types, and Dragon-types have movepools broad enough to defeat Ice and Steel types easily. We need something that both resists and is super effective against Dragon. A Light-type seems appropriate for this, because Dragons are typically depicted as monsters, obstacles a hero must defeat.

Um... why? That would be kind of ridiculous. Water's weakness to Electric is just fine and logical. Nothing is wrong with it.

Grass' weakness to Poison could be fine and logical too. I don't recommend altering the types.

Personally, I think the Dragon-type needs to be nerfed. I'd suggest removing its resistance to Grass and adding a weakness to Steel (because the swords used to defeat dragons in stories are y'know, made of metal). Or hell, about making Dragon weak to Normal instead of Steel? Normal has a weakness (Fighting) and an immunity that goes both ways (Ghost), so why not a super-effectiveness? Normal could represent the heroes that fought the dragons, instead of Steel just being their swords.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Poison become super effective against water.

Grass' weakness to Poison could be fine and logical too. I don't recommend altering the types.

One: Grass has an overload of weaknesses.
Two: What's so logical about Poison being SE on Grass? I can't think of any examples.

Two: What's so logical about Poison being SE on Grass? I can't think of any examples.

Weedkillers killing weeds?

I agree with Dragon being weak to steel, because it current weaknesses are pretty ridiculous. Using another Dragon type is a gamble, and with Ice, most Dragon types learn Fire moves. It couldn't hurt to add one other weakness.

Then again, I guess Fire is pretty good against Steel too...but it's something at least :u

Weedkillers killing weeds?

Fair enough, but Grass still has too many weaknesses. 4 instead of 5 would be better. I just think that one should be removed, and Poison makes the most sense, especially if they could just move it's SE to Water instead.

I agree with Dragon being weak to steel, because it current weaknesses are pretty ridiculous. Using another Dragon type is a gamble, and with Ice, most Dragon types learn Fire moves. It couldn't hurt to add one other weakness.

Then again, I guess Fire is pretty good against Steel too...but it's something at least :u
The way it works currently though is that you see tons of people throwing Ice type attacks on non-Ice pokemon because Ice's weaknesses are too prevalent. The opposite goes for Steel. It's moves don't really do much, but with all of its resistences you see a sizable number of people using Steel. Making Steel super effective against Dragon would actually make it worthwhile to let steel moves take up a spot.

Steel being weak against dragon makes sense though, as do the other type weaknesses it has. Dragon skin is rough, scaly, and supposedly resistant to swords in mythology. As for the other weaknesses, they make sense. Ice is probably a hint to the dragon's den being under the icy cave making for some harsh living for the first dragons of the world, and dragon vs dragon is the most probable way of a dragon getting hurt. The type chart's are fine as is, and don't need any changes.

I disagree that the type chart is fine the way it is. If the chart was well balanced, then every type should be able to perform decently as a mono-type provided adequate stats. This is not the case.

I agree that the Dragon type needs to be taken down a peg, the days when they were the rare, designated overpowered endgame Pokemon are over. It's just another type now. In addition, quite a few other types are in need of a buff. Nothing major, but even small changes can influence the usability of a type greatly. Rock has too many weaknesses, while Ice has too few resistances Grass is resisted by too many types etc. These are my suggestions on what could be done:

-Rock should no longer be hit super-effectively by ground. This would give Rock types an advantage over Steel types who otherwise share a similar but overall superior resistance profile.
-Ice would resist Dragon, and also gain a resistance to Water. I guess the Rock weakness is also kind of unnecessary given Ice is already hard countered by two popular types (also Ice carves and breaks down Rock, not the other way round, though Rock has enough weaknesses as is).
-Fighting has far too few weaknesses for such a potent offensive type. I'd suggest adding a Poison weakness, and removing their resistance to Bug (which makes no sense anyway).
-Grass would hit Dragons and Flying types neutrally, making good coverage much more accessible for many of them.
-The corrosive effect of Poison moves should make them neutral against Steel types, while Steel would retain their immunity to Poison status. This would help Poison become more of a good neutral coverage type, as befitting their defensive nature.

The other types are fine in my opinion. In practice Water isn't nearly as overpowered as people seem to think it is (Rain is another matter), and Steel types are meant to suck offensively. The main offenders at the moment are Fighting and Dragon.

Last edited:

Steel being weak against dragon makes sense though, as do the other type weaknesses it has. Dragon skin is rough, scaly, and supposedly resistant to swords in mythology. As for the other weaknesses, they make sense. Ice is probably a hint to the dragon's den being under the icy cave making for some harsh living for the first dragons of the world, and dragon vs dragon is the most probable way of a dragon getting hurt. The type chart's are fine as is, and don't need any changes.

Actually, I think Dragons may be weak to Ice due to the fact that many Dragons are reptilian in nature. Reptiles are cold blooded and need the sun to stay alive. If they get too cold, they'll die, making the weakness logical.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom