• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

Arceus could easily just be given another plate with some kind of backstory behind it, its really not an issue. As for Dialga/Palkia, one could argue that Diamonds/Pearls don't have much to do with Time/Space at all anyways. Their typings have more to do with design and slight metaphor: Steel is as hard as diamonds, water is where pearls are found. Same for Giratina and it's undead motif (Ghost) & being tied to the concept of Antimatter.

None of these examples have anything to do with Sylveon, nor should they dictate what happens to it. Fact is, contrary to every Eeveelution revealed to date, Sylveon's typing is not obvious at all. Eeveelutions tend to be quite literal poster childs for their types, which makes this entire situation unique even from Pokemon like Arceus. The only typing that remotely fits is normal, and if its not that... I'm afraid after that last clip no argument can be made for any existing type.

How does that weird egg thing at the end relate to fairies or any new type exactly?
An egg shape doesn't relate to any existing type in particular, so I wouldn't bring that up if I were you. The egg symbolism could, however, pertain to the view of aether as the life-sustaining force of living beings.

Well I know that but it doesn't relate to fairies either so I'm just trying to understand the THIS CONFIRMS A NEW TYPE thing. Also birds and Dragons lay eggs and it has something that looks like a wing on it.

You know, when that movie is out (or Sylveon's type is confirmed), I'm going to come back to this post, quote it, and laugh because of everyone thinking that Sylveon is definitely going to be a new type now.

Because the same thing is said every. Fricking. Generation. For. Any. Pokemon. That. Has. Been. Shown. Regardless of evidence for every other existing type.

I have no idea what Sylveon's type will be (I have some guesses) but there will be no new types. There is no good reason to even assume that there will be.

I think it's a bit early to say we definately wont get new types, we literally know almost nothing about the games, know about a handful of Pokemon, three of which have unrevealed types. Im just saying I dont think it's something that should be completely dismissed. It could be that there is no new type and they are all existing types, or it could be we do in fact get a new one, but until we get this confirmed Im not willing to say it's impossible.

You know, when that movie is out (or Sylveon's type is confirmed), I'm going to come back to this post, quote it, and laugh because of everyone thinking that Sylveon is definitely going to be a new type now.
You mean just like how you were going to laugh at us when we were proven wrong about Generation VI being released this year?

You mean just like how you were going to laugh at us when we were proven wrong about Generation VI being released this year?
That was due to a complete lack of information on my part. I had a period when I did not actively look up Pokemon news, focusing on school and completing my Pokedex in Black 2.

Such a lack of information does not exist this time. I'm just as well informed as everyone else on the subject on X and Y.

Okay, Venator, but if we do get a new type this generation, we all get to act like schoolchildren and laugh at you, okay? :p

Because the same thing is said every. Fricking. Generation. For. Any. Pokemon. That. Has. Been. Shown. Regardless of evidence for every other existing type.

I have no idea what Sylveon's type will be (I have some guesses) but there will be no new types. There is no good reason to even assume that there will be.
There's not a good reason that you should just assume that there will not be any new types, either. There's just as much proof that "there will not be any new types" as "there will be more types" so your arguement is invalid. So int he future, that we know nothing about, I will not go back to this exact post, as I will have forgotten all about it, unlike you.
So please, enlighten us with your proof that there will be no new types. Patterns are invalid, since Pokemon has been breaking countless traditions lately. You not wanting any does not mean that Game Freak agrees with you. Even though there is a chance that there will not be a new type, it's the same chance as the reverse.

EDIT:
Okay, Venator, but if we do get a new type this generation, we all get to act like schoolchildren and laugh at you, okay? :p
Just making sure you can see this, Venator.

Anybody who thinks Sylveon is definitely a new type is wrong. Anybody who thinks sylveon is definitely not a new type, is also wrong. The type of Sylveon is currently unknown, and therefore, there is no 'definite'. I haven't seen many people (if any at all) assume that Sylveon is Definitely a new type or not, which I am glad. We can speculate what it's type is, but we cannot know for sure, until GameFreak announces it.

As such, laughing at those who speculated it's a new type incorrectly is not necessary. laughing at those who speculated it isn't a new type incorrectly is not necessary. If you feel the need to laugh at someone, laugh at those who assume Sylveon is guaranteed to be a certain type, as they clearly believe they're always right, which even if they GUESSED correctly, were still wrong when it comes to the premature guarantee.

Deal. :p

But I'll make sure to quote you specifically and laugh too, then.

There's not a good reason that you should just assume that there will not be any new types, either. There's just as much proof that "there will not be any new types" as "there will be more types" so your arguement is invalid. So int he future, that we know nothing about, I will not go back to this exact post, as I will have forgotten all about it, unlike you.
There is considerable circumstantial evidence against the possibility of new types. Though what the future holds in unknown to everyone outside of Game Freak, given the circumstantial evidence, it's best to not set your hopes too high in regards to a new type.

So please, enlighten us with your proof that there will be no new types.
Okay. Given Game Freak's past actions on new types and how premature fan speculation has, in every generation since II, always assumed that there will be a type, that new Pokemon "x" is of said type, and has always been wrong, I'm not sure that their is anything resembling a strong case for a new type.

Pokemon who, practically, embodied "Sound" were added as Normal-types, "Celestial" as Psychic-Rock types, and yet others as other types in the transition between Gameboy and Gameboy Advanced, accompanying an entirely revamped Pokemon system. If any time was truly ideal to add a new type, it was then and they didn't add any.

Same goes for many other Pokemon added since then. Even the transition between GBA and DS would have been a good time to add new types, especially for the cover legendaries who represented the very abstract concepts of Time, Space, and Anti-Matter. And for gen V, according to other speculative fans, when Reshiram's (even earlier with Zekrom's) typing was revealed, the ideal poster-Pokemon of the "Light" type was gone.

The circumstantial evidence for the lack of new types is strong, given past examples. It does not rule out the possibility, but the possibility is very low, given the circumstances, and every example cited as "proof" for a new type can be explained pretty well without reaching such a conclusion.

Patterns are invalid, since Pokemon has been breaking countless traditions lately. You not wanting any does not mean that Game Freak agrees with you. Even though there is a chance that there will not be a new type, it's the same chance as the reverse.
Which countless traditions has Game Freak been breaking? I'm curious.

And the chances are not nearly that equal.

Given that the same premises were used in every previous generation to support the idea of a new type, (and given the nearly endless design possibilities for every existing type) I find that there is no good reason to think that there will be a new type any time soon, outside of fan games.

With the new pic we got, from the M16 last trailer, I think that there will be a new type introduced. After I saw the trailer for M16, in the end I saw Pikachu and the other being ''teleported'' by Sylveon in another dimension. Also the color of it's ''cirlce'' in the image was like-pink or Dream color, like in ''template color'' in Bulbapedia, so I think that a new type will be introduced and that Sylveon is a Dream/Fairy type.

A little explenation for Sylveon:
If this doesn't happer, there is also another explanation.
There are some wings in the pink symbol. So it could be a flying type
or
That pink symbol reminds me The insect badge of Burgh , so it also could be a Bug type.

We haven't gotten a new typing since Gen II, I don't know why we'd get one now.

That's not to say there shouldn't be revisions. Like, for instance, making Steel super-effective against Dragons or Poison super-effective against Water.

Apparently the person responsible for the Gen 5 Pokedex leak is hinting at the possibility of a Fairy type, and claims he will start talking in a few hours.

While I doubt his ability to know this stuff because Nintendo went nuts over the aforementioned incident and should have fired him, it's probably worth at least keeping an eye on.

He's apparently going to draw (like how he drew leaked Gen V Pokemon) one of the New Pokemon too.

If Fairy is a new type I'm wondering if they'll retcon certain Pokémon, like Celebi, Dunsparce (Dunsparce evo: normal/fairy maybe?) Clefairy and maybe Chimecho.

We haven't gotten a new typing since Gen II, I don't know why we'd get one now.

That's not to say there shouldn't be revisions. Like, for instance, making Steel super-effective against Dragons or Poison super-effective against Water.
I'm not for or against it, but honestly... why do you people always go 'It hasn't happened since ___, so I don't know why it'd happen again now.'

That's not a good way to think about it.

If Fairy is a new type I'm wondering if they'll retcon certain Pokémon, like Celebi, Dunsparce (Dunsparce evo: normal/fairy maybe?) Clefairy and maybe Chimecho.
Ive been thinking for a while I'd like to see Celebi get retconned and become Grass/Fairy, I think it would be nice and depending on what it would resist, help it a lot. I like the idea of Fairy type and it seems a likely new type, since there are several fairy like Pokemon.

Apparently the person responsible for the Gen 5 Pokedex leak is hinting at the possibility of a Fairy type, and claims he will start talking in a few hours.

While I doubt his ability to know this stuff because Nintendo went nuts over the aforementioned incident and should have fired him, it's probably worth at least keeping an eye on.

He's apparently going to draw (like how he drew leaked Gen V Pokemon) one of the New Pokemon too.

From what I'm reading though, he already was going on about how dead certain he was on it being flying, so if he does go through with this, I would take it with the hugest pinch of salt. Not saying that I don't believe a new type will happen, just that from him I wouldn't take anything at face value. If he's not lying though, I can see it happening. I mean if they're aiming a worldwide release this time, 6 months ahead sounds reasonable, compared to how the sprites he had for BW were used in the Spanish branch to create Spanish names(which is why the whole debacle made cease and desist orders be released for all the fan sites, as it was a huge breach of security iirc)

Also @Venator;
I don't want to sound smug, but tone it down. The "every gen a new type is speculated" reason is good, but not in our case. As I said I don't mean to be smug, but its another thing for the masses to speculate it, and its an entirely different thing for people like me, Silktree, and others to speculate on it.(I'm naming us two cause we're like 2 of the 6 or so seniors expecting it and my senior mind can't remember the others :p) We wouldn't, or at least based on previous speculation discussions created by us, be jumping on the new type bandwagon if we didn't have enough evidence to back our cause. And for me especially, again sorry for being smug, I tend to hit the target when it comes to speculation and release periods. Not saying my word is the word of god, but god damn it when I say we're due for X or we're due for Y I'm usually on the mark. I don't expect me to be off either when I say Sylveon will be a new type, and I won't start being wrong here. One day I will be, but that day won't be this one.

From what I'm reading though, he already was going on about how dead certain he was on it being flying, so if he does go through with this, I would take it with the hugest pinch of salt. Not saying that I don't believe a new type will happen, just that from him I wouldn't take anything at face value.
Exactly. Does Melkor expect us to think that he was suddenly given information about Sylveon's type that contradicts his previous claim?

Well looking into it its not Melkor but Hiro, who misheard fairy for flying. Or something. Its a mess from the start, apparently. God is this gonna be glorious, can't believe I'm gonna miss out on this.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom