• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

Typical Pokemon fanbase response-- "Game Freak never innovates!" *GF does something new* "What are they doing?! They're changing things too much!" *Fanboys buy game anyway* "Oh wow! This new feature is awesome!" *Repeat as needed...*

I wouldn't call randomly adding a new type for no reason an innovation.

If the Fairy-type does what its been rumored to do and brings some much needed nerfs to the overpowered Dragon-type and gives Poison-types something to do other than absorb Toxic Spikes or be slapped onto much better types as a secondary typing, then, yes, I'd call it an innovation.

Why are there so many people opposed to a new Type? I hated the idea at first too(I still say Poison should super-effect Water and Ice should resist Dragon, as well as remove Fire's Rock weakness), but with one new addition to the chart, there seems to be an actual balance to the Type Chart for the first time.

I wouldn't call adding a new type something "randomly for no reason". The type chart is severely unbalanced, so yeah, there is a reason for a new type.

Since GF is aiming for a simultaneous release this time around, I for one think they'll be putting more thought into the naming than before. (Rememberhow Evil was named Dark internationally.) So if a new type is the antithesis of Dark, it does sound reasonable that its Japanese name could be "Love" while its international name is something like "Light".

One of my elemental wishlists is removing Fire's weakness to Rock. That's always bugged me. Ground I can understand, but Rock?

Since GF is aiming for a simultaneous release this time around, I for one think they'll be putting more thought into the naming than before. (Rememberhow Evil was named Dark internationally.) So if a new type is the antithesis of Dark, it does sound reasonable that its Japanese name could be "Love" while its international name is something like "Light".

One of my elemental wishlists is removing Fire's weakness to Rock. That's always bugged me. Ground I can understand, but Rock?

Maybe this is due to my ignorance and use of gaining knowledge from cartoons, but can't rocks put out fires?

Maybe this is due to my ignorance and use of gaining knowledge from cartoons, but can't rocks put out fires?

I'm pretty sure rocks are resistant to fire, which is why people put rocks around a campfire to keep the fire from spreading.

Yeah, except the new type isn't the antithesis of Dark, it is just (supposedly) super effective to it. Bug is SE to Psychic, yet the "antithesis" of the said type is (again, supposedly) Fighting. Also, the Evil-type was name Dark outside Japan for obvious reasons, there would be no reason to change the name Fairy or anything else to Light. Seriously, when will people give up about this Light-type idea?

I'm pretty sure rocks are resistant to fire, which is why people put rocks around a campfire to keep the fire from spreading.

Alright, that works, too~ Probably makes more sense than what I said.

Yeah, except the new type isn't the antithesis of Dark, it is just (supposedly) super effective to it. Bug is SE to Psychic, yet the "antithesis" of the said type is (again, supposedly) Fighting. Also, the Evil-type was name Dark outside Japan for obvious reasons, there would be no reason to change the name Fairy or anything else to Light. Seriously, when will people give up about this Light-type idea?
Not saying I think it will be "light", but even if "fairy" is politically correct, it may not portray the concept they want in other cultures. Keeping people from associating the type with little sparkly things in butterfly wings would be reason enough to call it "light" in my opinion. Again, I'm not saying it will happen. More than likely, it is going to be "fairy".

Not saying I think it will be "light", but even if "fairy" is politically correct, it may not portray the concept they want in other cultures. Keeping people from associating the type with little sparkly things in butterfly wings would be reason enough to call it "light" in my opinion. Again, I'm not saying it will happen. More than likely, it is going to be "fairy".

Sure, but Light also wouldn't portray the concept in the best way. The concept of Light is very ambiguous, some would take it literally, some would take it as "Holy", etc. Plus, the concept of holy Pokémon is kinda lame... If Fairy isn't the best name for the type outside Japan, they may use Mystic, Fae or any other related name.

Sure, but Light also wouldn't portray the concept in the best way. The concept of Light is very ambiguous, some would take it literally, some would take it as "Holy", etc. Plus, the concept of holy Pokémon is kinda lame... If Fairy isn't the best name for the type outside Japan, they may use Mystic, Fae or any other related name.

Besides, if a new type is called Fairy in Japan and the International releases agrees on calling it Light, they'll most likely regret it later.

Just think Mr. Mime.

So true.

I don't get why everyone is so against it being called the 'fairy' type anyway. I mean, what the hell else would you call some of the proposed pokemon that are getting the fairy type, like Clefairy and Togetic? They are pretty damn fairy-like, in that little wings and sparkly dust kind of way. It's a perfectly appropriate name for the kind of pokemon that are cutesy, vaguely magical, not quite humanoid and don't correspond to any real animals.

^ The only problem is that 'cute with little wings and sparkly dust around them' is just one of the various existing concepts of fairy in the world. The concept you (NoirGrimoir) mentioned is just the most popular and widely know, thanks to Disney movies. So, if you consider the rumors as facts, Xerneas will be a Fairy-type Pokémon and well, it doesn't look like the said definition of fairy to me.

I actually don't have any problem with the name, my only concern is the concept of the type, if it is being made to label only little shiny things as Fairy-type, it will not be that interesting. On other hand, it will be great if they make the type more embracing, with Pokémon like Xerneas and others non-little-shiny-things being being fairies. So, in a way, I think a name like Mystic would fit better.

I'm just saying that people are complaining that the name 'fairy' sounds like a disney fairy, but a lot of the supposed pokemon that could get the fairy type added to them match that description perfectly, so as an argument against calling it that, it isn't a very good one. I imagine the definition/concept they are going to use for the fairy type would be "benevolent, other-worldly creature with ties to nature and feelings," which is quite broad, really. 'Mystic' or something seems really arcane, and a bit too heavy on the magic side of things. I mean, Chansey, for instance doesn't really scream magical, most of it's attacks and abilities are pretty lackluster in that respect.

I don't think "Fairy" and "benevolent" goes well together.

I just hope they don't just randomly apply it to a bunch of normal Pokemon. Even the name "Fairy" sounds pretty magical to me. It'd make sense for some Pokemon who are said to have magical powers (Clefairy or Togepi for example) but I've seen people suggest that Pokemon like Lickitung, Snorlax, Mawile, and even Absol get retyped.

I for one would like to see Pokemon like Celebi or Manaphy get a type change. Manaphy's only pure water anyways, and Psychic makes sense fore Celebi, but Fairy would make more sense, imo.

I wouldn't call adding a new type something "randomly for no reason". The type chart is severely unbalanced, so yeah, there is a reason for a new type.

And giving Ice another weakness is the solution seriously?

Game Freak may also decide on the name of Fairy rather than Mystic in order to make the type more exclusive. If they settled on Mystic for example, then other Pokemon like Ho-Oh will likely start to be called into question. (it's powers do seem a bit mythical compared to other fire types) Not to mention a few other legends of myth.

I think it would be treated as a type similar to how the mythical Dragon or other-worldly Ghost types are. Similar to how you can group the normal elemental types, like Fire, Water, etc into their own categories, we could simply group Dragon, Ghost, and possibly Fairy as their own "mythic" category or theme.

And giving Ice another weakness is the solution seriously?

Perhaps they are planning to change the weaknesses of the Ice-type? Why are you ignoring that Fairy is supposedly immune AND SE to Dragon? Also, Ice is just one among seventeen types, I am okay with Game Freak screwing it even more if it is necessary for making the chart more balanced in general. I just think it is a bit early to judge the inclusion of a new type as "pointless" or whatever you want to call it.

If the Fairy-type does what its been rumored to do and brings some much needed nerfs to the overpowered Dragon-type and gives Poison-types something to do other than absorb Toxic Spikes or be slapped onto much better types as a secondary typing, then, yes, I'd call it an innovation.

Why are there so many people opposed to a new Type? I hated the idea at first too(I still say Poison should super-effect Water and Ice should resist Dragon, as well as remove Fire's Rock weakness), but with one new addition to the chart, there seems to be an actual balance to the Type Chart for the first time.

WHY THE FUCK DO DRAGONS NEED A NERF!? Sure Salamence and Dragonite kick all the ass. But they do because of their moves and the stats NOT THE TYPE. And these things are NEWS FLASH: MEANT TO BE UNBALANCED

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom