• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart?

Fairy fixes the inbalance of Dragon Class power in meta game. My only hope is it does not have a weakness to Fighting.

Ideally
Def Weakness
Poison/Ice/Steel
Def Res
Dragon/Fighting

Off X2
Dragon
Off 1/2
Grass

I felt that water complemented the sky/forest dichotomy of the previous two to make a sea/sky/land triad.
Fans are also pointing out the Z-axis as another reason for a sea based mascot.

I expect one to go with the yggdrasil mythos. It would then be a serpent. Easily Z shaped too :p

I felt that water complemented the sky/forest dichotomy of the previous two to make a sea/sky/land triad.

I think this may be another interpretation: Norse Mythology Analysis - Pok

I definitely think there is some good analysis there. Of course, both interpretations can be made consistent. But the Norse figure might suggest to a more chthonic typing (any of ground, fire, dark or ghost). It also suggests that Xerneas' second typing might be water (springs made from its antlers). Though it's associated with forests it certainly doesn't have many of the typical cues of the grass type.

It could also be the land, the heavens, and the underworld.

Fairy fixes the inbalance of Dragon Class power in meta game. My only hope is it does not have a weakness to Fighting.

Ideally
Def Weakness
Poison/Ice/Steel
Def Res
Dragon/Fighting

Off X2
Dragon
Off 1/2
Grass

Not really, most Dragons are fast and most Fairies so far are slow and/or weak and slow. I doubt Sylveon is a speed demon either. For example Gardevoir might be able to survive a Crunch/Iron Head from Salamence, it's way too weak to hit back though. Mawile, Azumarill and Wigglytuff likely would get killed by a Thunder/Hurricane from MultiScale Dragonite before doing anything.

Oh the great Irony... People want Pokémon to change, because they think it's going stale, Game Freak introduces the Fairy type, and all Legions of Hell are running rampant.

Not really, most Dragons are fast and most Fairies so far are slow and/or weak and slow. I doubt Sylveon is a speed demon either. For example Gardevoir might be able to survive a Crunch/Iron Head from Salamence, it's way too weak to hit back though. Mawile, Azumarill and Wigglytuff likely would get killed by a Thunder/Hurricane from MultiScale Dragonite before doing anything.
I think it's safe to assume they will also be introducing new pokemon of the type, some of which will be stronger than a balloon.

Right, if the Z legendary is chthonic, then the triad is thus.

Researching on Norse Hel, it is located under Yggdrasil and could share the association with Nidhogg.

A line from the Edda about Hræsvelgr:
A hall she saw standing
remote from the sun
on Dead Body Shore.
Its door looks north.
There fell drops of venom
in through the roof vent.
That hall is woven
of serpents' spines.

She saw there wading
onerous streams
men perjured
and wolfish murderers
and the one who seduces
another's close-trusted wife.
There Malice Striker sucked
corpses of the dead,
the wolf tore men.
Do you still seek to know? And what?
(Emphasis added)

Yveltal could definitely be poison/flying as part of its association with death. Xerneas is still pretty unclear. The Z legendary is likely to be dragon. If we have a W leader of the legendaries, as Yggdrasil, it would likely be grass type. But it's possible that the typings will break with some pattern formations we get out of this reference material.

So you think it's possible there are more retcons to be introduced? I mean I wouldn't have thought that Jigglypuff would be Fairy BEFORE Clefairy! Really, it has the type right in its name, it is a pixie and a new Fairy-type attack is Moonblast - and which Pokemon comes to mind immediately when you think about the moon?

I really hope the Clefairy line too is part Fairy - or even pure Fairy, to set it apart from the Jiggly-line

Ideally
Def Weakness
Poison/Ice/Steel
Def Res
Dragon/Fighting

Off X2
Dragon
Off 1/2
Grass

Ice needs another resistance too.

Right, if the Z legendary is chthonic, then the triad is thus.

Researching on Norse Hel, it is located under Yggdrasil and could share the association with Nidhogg.

A line from the Edda about Hræsvelgr:
A hall she saw standing
remote from the sun
on Dead Body Shore.
Its door looks north.
There fell drops of venom
in through the roof vent.
That hall is woven
of serpents' spines.

She saw there wading
onerous streams
men perjured
and wolfish murderers
and the one who seduces
another's close-trusted wife.
There Malice Striker sucked
corpses of the dead,
the wolf tore men.
Do you still seek to know? And what?
(Emphasis added)

Yveltal could definitely be poison/flying as part of its association with death. Xerneas is still pretty unclear. The Z legendary is likely to be dragon. If we have a W leader of the legendaries, as Yggdrasil, it would likely be grass type. But it's possible that the typings will break with some pattern formations we get out of this reference material.

That isn't a poem about Hræsvelgr. It is a poem about Níðhöggr.

and which Pokemon comes to mind immediately when you think about the moon?

Munna and Musharna! Seriously, think of it. Munna was a marketing tool Gen 5 released to promote Dream World. Even if Dream World is no longer active in Gen 6 (which may not be the case, since Hidden Abilities will still be around), Munna can become a marketing tool again if it gets the new Fairy typing.

It may not look like it, but does Marill have the looks of a fairy by any chance? Munna and Musharna are good targets to retcon.

I'm not surprised that Fairy is a thing, but I think it gives my favorite, Gardevoir, a bit more of a fighting chance against dragons, no matter how slight. That I approve of.

That isn't a poem about Hræsvelgr. It is a poem about Níðhöggr.

You're right, I realized that right after I posted. I assumed the other association since they both used the "corpse swallower" epithets.

I'm happy that Fairy is super-effective against Dragon. I also hope it's weak against Poison and I hope Ice resists it. That's the way to balance things at this point.

That means that Marill is now 4x weak to poison now.

Edit: Never mind.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom