• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
All hail our great and powerful dragonslayers!
Sylveon_vs_Hydreigon.png

I actually wasn't expecting Jigglypuff to become Fairy-type as much as other Pokemon. Though it's probably for the best since there really was nothing else to it other than being a puddin' puff diva.

Marill is I guess also a water sprite now? I'm down with that. Gonna be punching some dragons in the face for sure.

I really hadn't expected Gardevior to become a Fairy-type, but it makes some good sense. considering it's based on guardian angels. Now it's also a fairy godparent as well.

Last edited:
@Laquer Head; We're all here to discuss pokemon x and y in a constructive manner. If you're no longer interested in doing anything other than bashing, then get out and mope in your whiny corner about how GF isn't responding to your every wish.

Besides, it's stupid to make assumptions about the quality of a game without even playing it first. Unless you've experienced it yourself, your opinion is worthless. You're like those little kids who say Broccoli is nasty without even trying it, because it's green and looks like a tree. It's arrogant BS.

Weird, I thought the thread was for everyone to express their opinion equally :D I find it unappealing, so I'm not going to buy it. I don't see how it makes me arrogant to opt away from buying a video game that I don't want. I'm not OBLIGATED to do it. All I'm doing is expressing MY opinion, no need to get so upset...

EDIT: ...Mewtwo's new form has the fairy type...doesn't it...

You're not explaining why. Your opinions aren't substantiated. Also, Mewtwo's new form isn't confirmed to be part Fairy type. I don't think that it will be.

I hate the Fairy-Type in my opinion. I doubted the idea from the beginning, and I HATE it when I'm wrong. (You do not want to see me doing homework) For another, I was over fairies when I was 5. So thanks Nintendo, you just made me a hater of 4 more Pokémon... :mad:

I LOVE the Fairy type this is amazing omg.
I'm so happy! Gardevoir is great now and Wigglytuff finally matter's again!​

You're not explaining why. Your opinions aren't substantiated. Also, Mewtwo's new form isn't confirmed to be part Fairy type. I don't think that it will be.

Types are generally elements in someway. Fire, Water, Grass, etc. Except for dragon of course, but I was never a fan of dragons, but since it was one type, I just went with it. But now, there's another like dragon, that makes absolutely NO sense. What is a fairy doing that's unique to a normal/flying attack? How does it just magically hurt dragons and so on. Of all the ideas they could have went with...it's just ugh. Obviously there were exceptions, but they still made a LITTLE sense. Bug, Psychic and Ghost, you can understand those. Fairy? Not so much.

I was honestly hoping for a Light/Holy type, most RPGs have it. It would make even more sense in japan, dark being the evil type. MAYBE if fairy had some co-relationship with dark, it would be ok, almost as a less conspicuous good vs evil thing...but why dragon?

I still think it should be called Fey type; it better fits the concept.

What's the difference, honestly?

"Fairy" implies a pixie with wings. "Fey" could describe both these and other creatures like Xerneas or Sylveon. ("Fairy" could as well, but the implication is different. Denotation vs connotation.)

Last edited:
@Laquer Head; We're all here to discuss pokemon x and y in a constructive manner. If you're no longer interested in doing anything other than bashing, then get out and mope in your whiny corner about how GF isn't responding to your every wish.

Besides, it's stupid to make assumptions about the quality of a game without even playing it first. Unless you've experienced it yourself, your opinion is worthless. You're like those little kids who say Broccoli is nasty without even trying it, because it's green and looks like a tree. It's arrogant BS.

Weird, I thought the thread was for everyone to express their opinion equally :D I find it unappealing, so I'm not going to buy it. I don't see how it makes me arrogant to opt away from buying a video game that I don't want. I'm not OBLIGATED to do it. All I'm doing is expressing MY opinion, no need to get so upset...

It's not arrogant to opt out of buying a video game you don't like. It's arrogant to go to an online forum, into the section talking about said game, where various people interested in said game are having more or less serious discussions about said game, and then begin a bashing spree in which everything you say is a backhanded insult at the game which everyone else on the thread is genuinely interested in and loves. Since you claim you are no longer interested in the game, you're only reason for being here now seems to be telling everyone else here that they game they are interested in sucks, further implying that they are pretty stupid for remaining interested in it. If that wasn't what you meant to say, then stop what you're doing right now, before you dig yourself into a real hole. I wouldn't yet call what you're doing a "spree" so please keep the discussion constructive rather than complaining.

Types are generally elements in someway. Fire, Water, Grass, etc. Except for dragon of course, but I was never a fan of dragons, but since it was one type, I just went with it. But now, there's another like dragon, that makes absolutely NO sense. What is a fairy doing that's unique to a normal/flying attack? How does it just magically hurt dragons and so on. Of all the ideas they could have went with...it's just ugh. Obviously there were exceptions, but they still made a LITTLE sense. Bug, Psychic and Ghost, you can understand those. Fairy? Not so much.

I was honestly hoping for a Light/Holy type, most RPGs have it. It would make even more sense in japan, dark being the evil type. MAYBE if fairy had some co-relationship with dark, it would be ok, almost as a less conspicuous good vs evil thing...but why dragon?

It's redundant to have a "Good" type and Light isn't necessarily good. Dark in the Pokemon games usually refer to underhanded tactics. For the last one, it's a video game.

It's not arrogant to opt out of buying a video game you don't like. It's arrogant to go to an online forum, into the section talking about said game, where various people interested in said game are having more or less serious discussions about said game, and then begin a bashing spree in which everything you say is a backhanded insult at the game which everyone else on the thread is genuinely interested in and loves. Since you claim you are no longer interested in the game, you're only reason for being here now seems to be telling everyone else here that they game they are interested in sucks, further implying that they are pretty stupid for remaining interested in it. If that wasn't what you meant to say, then stop what you're doing right now, before you dig yourself into a real hole. I wouldn't yet call what you're doing a "spree" so please keep the discussion constructive rather than complaining.

You're the only one going off topic and getting insulted...so I'll just stop responding to you

It's redundant to have a "Good" type and Light isn't necessarily good. Dark in the Pokemon games usually refer to underhanded tactics. For the last one, it's a video game.

Well, you know what I mean. Since they went with dark in America, light seems more appropriate, but meh. Holy does seem a bit...heavy for a children's game, though.

Also...fair enough, but it just seems out of place with the rest.

Hmm, just thought of something that might make it a bit more interesting that before. Clefairy being an obvious fairy, it might make for more interesting relations with Gengar...

People sitting here commenting complaining and swearing saying they hate Pokémon forever because of the newly introduced type are completely ignorant imo. Obviously it's the males complaining the most because somehow you think playing Pokémon with a newly introduced fairy type, makes you feminine. Well, grow up, GF doesn't produce to meet everyones standards, I'm happy with the fairy type as it's balancing out the charts more and giving other Pokémon that never shined, another chance. Just because it's been introduced and is staying, doesn't mean you don't have to buy the game, it's not like they're rebranding every Pokémon a fairy type, get over yourself and stop looking for a reason to complain about every new aspect.

ON MY PART THOUGH, I'm satisfied! I saw it coming and I'm happy, and at least they let us know in an awesome way, along with some cool new moves! I'm excited!

Types are generally elements in someway. Fire, Water, Grass, etc. Except for dragon of course, but I was never a fan of dragons, but since it was one type, I just went with it.

You forgot Normal, Bug, Ghost, and Fighting. They ain't elements. Also Rock is kinda redundant if we're talking about elements. Dark don't fit well either.

You got some weird hate goin' on there Lacquer Head.

People seem to think 'Fairy' as a type is stupid because they have a rather narrow view of what pokemon types are supposed to be like. Many people think of types as more elemental, even though Dragon isn't elemental at all, and up until Tornadus, flying literally meant the pokemon could fly and didn't have a direct relationship with 'wind' or anything, and as Cerony said, Normal, Bug, Ghost and Fighting aren't elements either.

And then there are those people who just don't like that it's supereffective against dragons because they like being able to trash the metagame with overpowered dragon teams.

Nothing can be done now. It was called Fairy and that's all there is to it. Marill makes me wonder what their reasoning with it is going to be. It certainly isn't what I thought.

People sitting here commenting complaining and swearing saying they hate Pokémon forever because of the newly introduced type are completely ignorant imo. Obviously it's the males complaining the most because somehow you think playing Pokémon with a newly introduced fairy type, makes you feminine. Well, grow up, GF doesn't produce to meet everyones standards, I'm happy with the fairy type as it's balancing out the charts more and giving other Pokémon that never shined, another chance. Just because it's been introduced and is staying, doesn't mean you don't have to buy the game, it's not like they're rebranding every Pokémon a fairy type, get over yourself and stop looking for a reason to complain about every new aspect.

ON MY PART THOUGH, I'm satisfied! I saw it coming and I'm happy, and at least they let us know in an awesome way, along with some cool new moves! I'm excited!

Be careful though. We don't know anything else about the Fairy-type match-ups, so we can't say that yet. Hopefully, Fairy-types won't become as powerful as Psychics were.

Re: The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart?

The bigger question is why Poison isn't strong against Water.

Water dilutes Poison.
That is a solvent dissolving solute. Usually it's a smaller part of solute what reacts with the more abundant solvent, while a smaller part of the solvent in the solute would be past the saturation point of the solvent.
So the idea would go like:
If we go with the attacks being weak enough for the solute to be considerably suspectible to dillution, then Poison resists Water due to saturation.
If we go with the attacks being strong enough for the solvent to go past the saturation point, then Poison is SE to Water due to forming a proper, tainted solution.

So according to this, it'd be either a resistance or an effectivity, but not both (as they contradict each other). Considering Water is a defensive type and Poison would appreciate an offense, and the potential pollution themes alongside it showing if in a simplified manner the concept of a solution, I can see why Poison being SE to Water is a popular and reasonable idea.

... However.

This entirely ignores the neutrality of attacks: A poisonous solution may not necessarialy be Super Effective, and it may not be necessarialy resisted if it is diluted. So it makes sense for Poison to be neutral to Water.
On the other hand, I can't see but a copious amount of solvent to deal with saturation, so Poison having a Water resistance makes more sense to me without considering the game itself.

Finaly, after a few days/weeks, all this pro/anti fairy discussion will stop. And I for one couldn't be happier with it, so many more possibilities. Though, I'm a little weirded out by Marril, never saw it coming tbh.

People just take a while to accept change. It's even more rampant on 4chan, with people "quitting forever, not buying XY, etc". Of course, they'll still get it, lol.
It's ironic because Laquer Head has an ice fairy in his avatar

I don't think anyone had an attack over pokemon...because it's pokemon

Types are generally elements in someway. Fire, Water, Grass, etc. Except for dragon of course, but I was never a fan of dragons, but since it was one type, I just went with it.

You forgot Norma, Bug, Ghost, and Fighting. They ain't elements.

You got some weird hate goin' on there Lacquer Head.

Normal = no element
Bug = Think of the shit bugs can do, bite, sting, shoot webs and silk, spread powder and so on.
Ghost = This should be obvious, it's supernatural shit, spirits, curses, etc.
Fighting = Implies martial arts and so on.The whole supereffective against steel...now that I DO disagree with.

I said GENERALLY, not everyone, but you see what I mean. Fairies seem to fall under normal or psychic type...and look what types are getting the addition. Though it paves the way for a kick-ass leprechaun pokemon...I'm not seeing anything that makes sense. Though, if they make a fairy type that wears boots, I will thrust aside all my inhibitions and give GF all of my money.

-Fairy Type revealed
Me: NonoNONONO! N! O! Don’t give the fans what they expect!!

Jigglypuff and Gardevoir are Fairies now
Me: Okay, Gardevoir too. But what about my Clefable? Is it NRM/FRY or all-Fairy too?

Gardevoir nearly kills Hydreigon
Me: Duuuude! ...I’m totally okay with this.

Time to approval: 21 seconds. I'm enjoying this already, but what else can the type do?
(And I mean, with the evidence shown at E3)

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom