• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Oh, wow, I just realized something. How many generations is it gonna take to cover each type combination with the addition of 17 extra...especially considering how they reuse certain ones over and over.

Oh, wow, I just realized something. How many generations is it gonna take to cover each type combination with the addition of 17 extra...especially considering how they reuse certain ones over and over.

They won't ever complete the combinations. They don't care to do so.

I think the fact that Jigglypuff, Marill and Gardevoir were selected as part of the fairy type reveal was a careful consideration. Each one is from a different generation and each has a different primary type. Two are from the same egg group: fairy. All of them are more on the cute/feminine end. Additionally, they aren't obvious choices for being fairy type compared to, say, Clefairy. I believe that they are only a portion of those that will be given a fairy type. We will see others given the fairy type from a variety of generations and types. Probably a lot will be from the fairy egg group.

Conceptually, I see the fairy type as bridging the gap between the natural and supernatural. They have tie ins with nature spirits and nature magic, which is more earthy than psychic or ghost types and more magical than grass types. I believe the type will include fairy tale and mythological concepts (especially Celtic and Norse) such as elves, nymphs, selkies, wizards, druids, werewolves and trolls, in addition to pixies. In other words, we'll see some Tolkien-esque angelic and nature-y fairies, as well as some scarier unseelie fairies and monsters (these being often fairy/dark or fairy/ghost). But the majority will be the more cutesy kind. In many narratives, fairies live in a separate world and are invisible to humans; their world works differently than ours, having a different time flow and such. They are pretty commonly associated with trickery and being mischievous. I think their magic will focus around themes of enchantment and illusion. The association with the moon, changeling myths, and nature magic also suggests they will have a lot to do with transformation. The superstitions which give their weaknesses to particular things like cold iron also is a reflection on their difference from natural things that don't have those weaknesses.

But they really should. Some type combinations are just too good not to see, both competitively and design-wise. Oh, and yeah, forgot there's no way some will be feasible.

Doesn't CleFAIRY need the boost?

Lol. Somebody obviously hasn't seen the badassery that is Clefable in action.

As for me, I'm totally loving the Fairy type, conceptually. I don't know what the final product looks like, so there's still time for me to get turned off by them (they better not mess with my Grass types,) but for now, I dig it.

Especially if they take inspiration from Grimm fairy tales (don't look at me that way, this wouldn't be the first time Pokemon got dark.)

Fairies are more than just tiny creatures with butterfly wings, y'know. The spectrum of fairies is rather broad. From elves (and high elves, and dark elves) to goblins, to Pixies, to dwarves, to dryads. Hell, if you stretch it, Satyrs and Centaurs can be considered fairies as well. And in the original fairy tales? They were capricious, mischievous, vengeful pricks. I cannot wait to see what Game Freak does with them.

Also, Gardevoir and Wigglytuff as Fairy types is awesome.

How many people do use Stored-Cosmic Power Clefable nowadays on Pokemon Showdown?

Hint: It's close to 0.

Though, yep, Clefable getting Fairy typing may have interesting results on that build, since it doesnt really add to it (it may be a hindrance), but if Fairy is immune against Dragon, then Clefable is Uber next gen :))

Just a response to the fairy discussion on page 101: There are many people of both genders who play the Legend of Zelda series, which happens to have fairies in the games. You don't see them complain about it.

But they really should. Some type combinations are just too good not to see, both competitively and design-wise. Oh, and yeah, forgot there's no way some will be feasible.

I always thought Ho-oh should've been Water/Fire... Cause, ya know, rainbows...

As for me, I'm totally loving the Fairy type, conceptually. I don't know what the final product looks like, so there's still time for me to get turned off by them (they better not mess with my Grass types,) but for now, I dig it.

Especially if they take inspiration from Grimm fairy tales (don't look at me that way, this wouldn't be the first time Pokemon got dark.)

Fairies are more than just tiny creatures with butterfly wings, y'know. The spectrum of fairies is rather broad. From elves (and high elves, and dark elves) to goblins, to Pixies, to dwarves, to dryads. Hell, if you stretch it, Satyrs and Centaurs can be considered fairies as well. And in the original fairy tales? They were capricious, mischievous, vengeful pricks. I cannot wait to see what Game Freak does with them.

Also, Gardevoir and Wigglytuff as Fairy types is awesome.

This is exactly why it should have been Fey, and I will now shut up about it.

Just a response to the fairy discussion on page 101: There are many people of both genders who play the Legend of Zelda series, which happens to have fairies in the games. You don't see them complain about it.

It's something to be expected in the Legend of Zelda world.

Blissey + Fairy-type = game-breaker beyond belief, mmmmmmmm that thought it delicious. If the Happiny line is re-typed I will cry tears of geeky joy.

It's something to be expected in the Legend of Zelda world.

^? Clefairy has been part of the Pokemon games since Gen I; it's expected in Pokemon as well.

I always thought Ho-oh should've been Water/Fire... Cause, ya know, rainbows...

Eh, it's a phoenix. Lugia on the other hand...why the fuck isn't it water/flying? It would ONLY make sense. Pairs with Ho-oh and it explains it's habit and behavior...

I for one, am 100% in favour of Fairy-types.

Come on, now JIGGLYPUFF CAN LAND A SUPER-EFFECTIVE HIT ON GIRATINA!
How is that NOT worth celebrating?!

This is exactly why it should have been Fey, and I will now shut up about it.

Not necessarily. Fairy rolls off the tongue better. It's just a name, after all.

If we were to take the type names literally, then Grass would be the worst type, as it only covers, well, grass. Plant would have been a more encompassing name for it.

Blissey + Fairy-type = game-breaker beyond belief, mmmmmmmm that thought it delicious. If the Happiny line is re-typed I will cry tears of geeky joy.

I just noped so hard. ESPECIALLY if fairy really does resist fighting...though it might force the Chansey line into uber status...I'd be ok with that.

I for one, am 100% in favour of Fairy-types.

Come on, now JIGGLYPUFF CAN LAND A SUPER-EFFECTIVE HIT ON GIRATINA!
How is that NOT worth celebrating?!

Hey, we still don't know it's pairing with ghost, I'm betting ghost will resist fairy and be super-effective...though all the normal types kill the point...

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom